ARC and Chris Reeve Should Team Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Peter,

There are only a few pocket knives that I could think of that I'd consider a companion partner to the Arc4. As you know, most folks that carry a flashlight the likes of the Arc4, also carry a pocket knife. What a killer combination it would be to have a customized small-regular Sebenza with the Arc logo and some type of inscription. I'm not sure how the rest of the community feal about this, but I love the idea of a custom Sebenza to go with my Arc4.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
if there is a colaboration between arc and anyone, it should be crk! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

i've seen a spiderco with arcs logo on it though...

so tin, i take it this means you're happy with your sebbie now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes. I like it enough to keep it for now. I EDC it mostly on the weekends, while wearing jeans. During the week, in my business casual attire, I stick with my Benchmade 3100 Auto.

This Arc/Sebenza would probably make the highest priced EDC combo on the market. $180 for the Arc4 + $400+ for a customized Sebby.

Geode

Enlightened
Sounds interesting - Surefire teamed up with Emerson knives for a collaborative effort. C-2 and CQ8, IIRC.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ray...
Hi Peter...

I also "Sebenza", as they say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

A plain small Sebenza being a never-fail part of my EDC, an Arc4+ and small Sebenza combination would be spectacular.

But of course, I`ll first let Ray buy five of these great combo`s, and then I`ll buy one from him at a discount when he sells the other four he finally decides he no longer wants. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ted

Newly Enlightened
I think I saw a picture of a Spyderco Jester somewhere with the Arc logo engraved... I would prefer Spyderco to team up with Arc. I can afford/sneak-in more Spydies, but not another CRK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
T.I.N.

I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA AT ALL!!! My "Stars and Stripes" small Sebenza (my first Chris Reeve knife) is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can't afford to buy another one to go with my Arc 4+ right now.

If I could, though, matching serial numbers would be way cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Interesting how thousands of knives are sold every year by small volume custom makers starting at about the price of an Arc4+ first - and extending to a few times the Arc's price. Seems like there would be a much broader market for the Arc4+. Useful every day plus you can carry them into schools and on planes.

Denix

Newly Enlightened
If you compare Arc to Sebbie, yeah, I agree that we have a match.

However, if we're talking about people, Peter seems to match Sal. Notice how both are very much involved with their respective forums, and how they interact directly with the ELU, as Sal would put it. Above all, both will listen to what we say, and produce acordingly (Spyderco removed the engraving on the Paramilitary blade and produced 1000 Calypso Jr., "just for us").

So, while I don't disagree with Arc-Sebbie, Arc-Spyderco would probably be perfect in my mind. Not to mention that the collaboration would probably cost $150 less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guy

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I'm sure they are great knives my personal opinion is that I much prefer mass produced knives from companies like spyderco, benchmade and CRKT. I've bought a few knives over a hundred bucks and they sit in drawers cuz I don't want to mess them up. No way I would ever use a 400.00 knife when I can use a 60.00 knife to do the same job better (because I'm not afraid to f it up). In fact at 180.00 my arc4+ would sit in a drawer if I could find something less expensive that does what it does as well as it does, but nothing like it is available yet.

I would MUCH rather see arc team up with a company that mass produces quality knives at reasonable prices because it would expose arc to a much wider audience. Also, I believe arc would benefit from such a collaboration by gaining access to the greater manufacturing resources of companies like spyderco or crkt. This may even provide a potential solution to the HA quality control issues that arc has had to deal with.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get real.
Uncompromising quality is what sells Chris Reeve's knives. Arc has quality problems across the line, and does not hesitate to pass those problems along to their customers.
As much as I like my (working)Arcs, there is no comparison.

DashingMan

Newly Enlightened
I agree with xochi, Arc would be able to address a wider market if combined with the mass producers of quality knives such as spyderco or crkt, I would probably by a crkt arc combo, not even necessarily with the arc4, but seriously, imagine if a you could get a crkt folder with an arc AAA in a gift box, that would be one nice set.

paulr

Flashaholic
I hadn't heard of a Spyderco/Arc combo. There are very nice Spyderco/Photon combos for both the Jester and Ladybug models. Here's the Jester/Photon:
jesterlight1.jpg

Another good company for Arc to work with would be Benchmade.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Toologic makes a knife that the Arc AAA fits into, that would work much, much better teamed together. Peter prefers that his lights have utility as #1, not gee-whiz crap!
My next "knife" will be the Leatherman Charge Ti. It will take the place of my old Super Tool and will sit next to the Hibben and Gerber knives. Since I don't carve animals, my needs are fulfilled with the Swiss Army knife on keychain and Leatherman multi-tools.
A knife is worthless if you are afraid to damage it. The ole' Leatherman knife blades have deep gouges, scuffs and abrasion marks all over it. It is a tool, a beast that can be used for multiple things and be beat on. Luckily, Leathermans don't have a fanboi group that puts them on pedistals.
Would you take a hammer to a Sebenza to force a crate open? I find it amusing that all these really expensive things are supposed to be for heavy duty or tactical use; but the Leathermans and Arc AAAs of the world come out when they are REALLY needed!
The Arc4 and Sebenza knives do make a good couple. I would not want to use either one out in the middle of nowhere, to be used daily for months on end. (Were do you get 123A batteries?)
The Arc4+ with tail guard and AA battery pack would best be paired with the Leatherman Charge Ti. All the stuff you need, you can get batteries no matter what part of the world your happen to be in and the Leatherman can do so much more than a simple knife blade.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
BHTX,

I wholeheartedly agree! Only functional tools go in my pockets. When away from work, hiking, camping, or on jobsites I often carry my Benchmade Pinnacle 750. Somewhat expensive knife, but I have appreciated its smooth one-handed operation in emergency situations on the river. Its tough blade steel came in handy when used as a spokeshave scribing filler pieces into a handicapped ramp 30 miles out in the country. The slick looking black blade coating gets scratched when I forget the can opener, but the knife's rugged construction is up to the job. No problem because I'm not a collector.

The Benchmade 773 looks like a good EDC knife for several reasons. Moderate size and clean "gents knife" appearance make it welcome in workplace settings. Blade grind and thickness cut more easily than "tool" or "survival" knives, yet are tough enough for real-world situations. Smooth one-handed opening and closing either by either hand is welcome in regular situations as well as emergencies. Non-recurve blade is easy to sharpen. Quality steel is a good compromise between toughness and hardness. The axis lock can be flushed with water to remove gunk and maintain smooth operation.

All of these are functional considerations, not gee-whiz items. And, let's face it, Arcs are a little gee-whiz themselves. Gee-whiz in a good way though, which is why I have several.

Leatherman Charge Ti? Titanium is pretty gee-whiz these days. I appreciate its qualities though; my BM 750 is a Ti framelock knife. The Charge sounds interesting, but I prefer to carry a Juice...enough functions for my needs and, at half the weight of a Charge, it will be in my pocket when needed.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,
The Charge Ti just uses titanium for part of the body, a little on the foo-foo side but functional. I like the 130% stronger joint in the pliers and better steel for the blades. Need to order some spare tips for the screwdrivers as those tend to get worn down. Nice to be able to make it "like new" as far as the screwdrivers go.
The upcoming Arc4 with tailswitch protector (look Ma! It stands up!) and optional AA tailpack just goes together with a good multi-tool. Multiple uses, tough, hard to break and useful no matter were you are living at the moment.
I used to carry a pocket knife, but the multi-tools fit my needs better. Always nice to have all the extra tools with the knives and cutters. 2004 will be the year of the ultimate EDCs.
Leatherman Charge Ti and Arc4+ with tailguard and AA tailpack. The little swiss army knife and Arc AAA will always be on the keychain however.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Put the Surefire U2 and Sebenza together, I would be afraid to lose either one of those!

FordPrefect

Newly Enlightened
BHTX, will the Leatherman Charge have user replaceable blades,screwdrivers,etc.I've always preferred Leatherman but have taken to carrying the SOG Powerlock because I KNOW I'm going to break implements of the tool!
Andy

Zvi

Newly Enlightened
I have small seb, bunch of BMs, eventually My EDCs became BM 710 and Lochsa, (occasonally I carry BM 773 as a third knife(sheeple friendly)), plus Arc4+... Works well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.