AAA flashlight: better replacement for ITP A3 EOS?

solars

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I've currently got a AAA ITP A3 EOS and the front glass is getting dim and dirty.

I'm now looking for a better replacement (also single AAA) - can anyone recommend something?
I don't really have an overview.

Thank you,
Christoph

mortuus

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I've currently got a AAA ITP A3 EOS and the front glass is getting dim and dirty.

I'm now looking for a better replacement (also single AAA) - can anyone recommend something?
I don't really have an overview.

Thank you,
Christoph

i can recommend the olight i3t, i have both the normal and copper version cant ask for more in a light and it doesnt cost much.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want a single mode or multiple mode light? Does mode order matter to you? Twisty or Clicky? Clip or no clip? Do you want 10440 compatibility or will you just use regular voltage batteries?

Answer these questions and we can offer much more specific recommendations.

That said, if you really just care for the best bang for your buck, you'll probably end up with one of the following:
Thrunite Ti3
Olight i3E or whatever their multi-mode light is...can't remember
Lumintop Tool AAA or EDC01

There are lots of others, but make sure you stick with a well known brand. Amazon will quite happily sell you lights of dubious quality from brands you've never heard of.

Good luck finding something you love!

--flatline

solars

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help so far!

Do you want a single mode or multiple mode light? Does mode order matter to you? Twisty or Clicky? Clip or no clip? Do you want 10440 compatibility or will you just use regular voltage batteries?

I prefer:

- multi mode
- mode order does not matter
- twisty or clicky does not matter
- clip does not matter
- 10440 compatibility does not matter but is nice to have

It should have a decent runtime on "normal"/average output.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at the following. If you don't like any of these, let us know why and we can try to refine our recommendations.
Thrunite Ti3
Olight I3T EOS
Lumintop Tool AAA and EDC01
Fenix E05 and LD02

There are tons of AAA lights out there now, but these models get a lot of attention as being great values. I've gone through a number of 3-mode twisty AAA lights over the last decade and currently EDC the Ti3 and am very pleased with it (firefly mode rocks!).

It's not AAA, but I'd like to mention the Fenix E12 since it is barely larger than some of the lights in the above list but lasts much longer on it's AA battery.

--flatline

dts71

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying AAA lights as EDC since ARC AAA ~12 years ago.
2018 I upgraded to Nitecore TIP and have not looked back since.
Buttons are easier to operate with one hand, rechargeable, brighter and can start on low or turbo - what's not to like?
I have not had any major issues with activation in my pocket.

Nitecore TINI is even smaller and with better buttons, but it lacks the low start by holding the button down.
Instead of low start ability, the TINI has an automatic lockout that requires a 2s press to activate - turbo can be reached after 0.6s though.

solars

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I will maybe look at those as alternatives to AAA.
I also read that the Rovyvon Aurora is very popular.

Candlestick

Newly Enlightened
irbvu1wtzoTobNL_ReHYAWBcFbeZ7UachFunsDnTy3m6CsVULm8sT7u3ogjFo2c030Fxuw2IMFWXlIcH3fMXxUefbXwEMyWJMhJnn7apfZOzfkCvsytrh0pZUSEPT65D2ntnYCQ_EO3jBrGodKYHm6kn_fzGsmsKGSAAds7Lg8P69ihPNYOuL9RGPgBCnLXzAwkW4FD2NjLQL9SWzKPDt9hlsPgsKOqZdxNPpEuyHNf84CIfJLPCbULkfREFBfAFu7LT9QwV3Lr7waUH3Rsd7bCZqWkgEGBHF-h9xvFPcccoHSr7yniqP9YampulfP8UuptOPmJPRPmxir3Qf5rRLJiKvr1BRNH8h6Cael-O6XGFKJgnMX_86P_xpFXTHPkOl6-HhtwS03rTuTPNXL4n-L2EyKEl3iOblRlLU8gu1-GwU2p-q8ryxiYpzFhLv80vBeUjdhcqHYCcVFWs2vBvrlCECCnh9Sw7LXC6RJbkajGKzmvbD8YzPCDN05aCMgJunOmbCUWCLyiMvlnBCI1JoFtw3v09ec64hewBo2PLzIrjXGDeryFw0pKqLmG-R1nsybHl-bWZici_vriEDauiTBMMo6O4R2ilahiCprmZ3djnI_nan6BBd4p9r1i5QHu_ZaKV17q-O6DHLItF2EkxOZ04=w1511-h1007-no

I can seriously recommend a Peak Eiger, I had one for two years on my keychain with no issues, super compact, probably the best runtimes possible, loads of options, pretty much indestructible and made in USA.

Nichia!

Banned
Olight i3e eos copper awesome little fella and the new i3t copper beautiful as well if you like copper...

1000cri

Newly Enlightened
I also still have a ITP on my keychain, been there for years but is a backup now as I carry something bigger for EDC. I second the i3t copper, I got an I3S copper for my dad last year (no longer available) and the weight just feels good in the hand, plus the copper looks nice. If you need more than one mode go with an I3S aluminum. I've only seen two AAA Olights but they both had pretty decent tint and are about 5500K, better than my ITP.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're up for something even smaller, consider the Olight i1R EOS. Simple 2 mode, 5 lumens + 130 lumens. Insane how much brightness comes out of this little thing, no larger than 2/3rd the size of a man's little finger. Rechargeable with intelligent built-in charger (micro SD port hidden in screw threads). Even if you prefer a larger form factor AAA, it's nice to have one of these as a backup.

solars

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions - I think I will buy both, a rechargeable for the keychain and an AAA as a backup while travelling.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight ProTac 1aaa can be programmed for high/lo, high only or lo/high.

The new Microstream is also pretty good. USB rechargeable.

The high/ low has a strobe mode in the middle. Ugh
I was sold. Is it really true hi ,strobe, low??
Very cool otherwise. I think I am one of the few who
Want med mode first on aaa / EDC.

Most times when using EDC I want more light then one or two lumens. I only need a real low when reading a menu. Most often I want medium, 30 to 60
Lumens first. So I found an old MJP Extreme and programmed it hi/ med!

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
It's hard to beat the Lumintop Tool if you're looking at 1xAAA. You get several options when it comes to construction (Al, Ti, Cu), you get to choose between clicky and twisty, and you also get to choose between CREE and Nichia emitters.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Prometheus Lights Beta QR is an excellent choice(2 mode or if copper, 3 mode) because of the quick release to take it off the keyring(when the valet parks the car), or the optional clip if you prefer shirt pocket carry. I have also always been a fan of the Four Sevens Preon P1(or P2 if you prefer longer runtimes). The new Preon MKIII is about due(I preordered 3). Honorable mention to the Olight I3T in Copper-it is by far the largest of the Lights I mention, but if you prefer pocket carry over keyring the beefier size/weight make it easy to handle...Unrelated to the OP, but relevant, I suggest NIMH rechargeable cells no matter what light you choose-no leakage, save money and in my humble opinion it extends the life of "most" lights.....

solars

Newly Enlightened
I think I will go for the smaller AAA ones.
Would you prefer the Maratac AAA or the Thrunite Ti3?

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Maratac is one of best aaa flashlights ever made! Go ahead and buy U will love it I promise you:)

Maratac aaa is premium light