Installing a Rechargable flashlight in a car.

DimBeam

Enlightened
I am thinking of getting either a streamlight Stinger or SL-20X. I want to install it obviously near the front cigarette plug but do not want to drill holes. Any easy way to secure it without a lot of fuss? I may be selling the car(Jeep Grand Cherokee) and do not want to leave any marks.

RussH

Enlightened
Velcro, stick on type. Get the type with adhesive on both strips. I'd put the hook side on the car. The fuzzy side tends to collect lint & other debris, so I either put it on the piece less likely to move around in such circles or else on the one easiest to clean. It won't matter much if they stay together most of the time.

I think you could also use sticky holders of other types - I've got an adhesive backed 3M steel hook that will hold anything with a loop, split ring, etc. I hang a flashlight on it ocasionally. -RussH

Arc_Light

Newly Enlightened
You didn't mention how often, or what you'll be using the light for. You might want to consider mounting the bracket under one of the rear seats. It would be secure and out of the way, yet easy enough to get to via the pull up seat. a hard wire to the fuse box would be easy enough to run. There is not a whole lot of extra room in and around the front seats of a grand cherokee to mount a a light and not have it interfere with leg room. I was going to wire up a magcharger in my truck but decided against it. For as often as I was going to use it there it was not worth the trouble or expense. Instead I bought 5 Inova X5's from county comm and put one in each of my vehicles with 2 extra sets of batteries. The Inova x5 throws all the light you will need to work in and around a vehicle at night. Best of all you can hold it in your teeth for those special moments when you are alone and and need the use of 2 hands. just my 2cents.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
what about using that adhesive on 3m wall hooks u pull this tab and the hook comes off and leaves no residue. the name escapes me right now

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Arc_Light said:
You didn't mention how often, or what you'll be using the light for. You might want to consider mounting the bracket under one of the rear seats. It would be secure and out of the way, yet easy enough to get to via the pull up seat. a hard wire to the fuse box would be easy enough to run. There is not a whole lot of extra room in and around the front seats of a grand cherokee to mount a a light and not have it interfere with leg room. I was going to wire up a magcharger in my truck but decided against it. For as often as I was going to use it there it was not worth the trouble or expense. Instead I bought 5 Inova X5's from county comm and put one in each of my vehicles with 2 extra sets of batteries. The Inova x5 throws all the light you will need to work in and around a vehicle at night. Best of all you can hold it in your teeth for those special moments when you are alone and and need the use of 2 hands. just my 2cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arc,
You make a excellent point. Instead of spending God knows what on a rechargeable maybe a few reasonably priced lights placed in the Jeep would do the trick. Lithium batteries and backup batteries would be a must. Is the X-5 really a good light?

RussH

Enlightened
I've got 3 flashlites in my truck nowTwo have rechargeable batteries. One has lithium AAs. I use my charger outlet for the phone but the cigarette lighter socket is available for some other duty. And Reptilezs, I'm using those 3M thingies but I don't remember the name either. They will come off when you want, but still hold about 5lbs. (more?) no worries.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
He was asking about mounting a charger for a Stinger, or SL20X.

The X5 in NO way compares to these lights. It is a short range work light. He's talking about duty lights.

If someone wanted to recommend a lithium "equivalent" to the Stinger, a 3/123 like the SL TL-3 might be in the ball park.

I am guilty sometimes about answering questions with my "favorite" light recs, but we need to keep to the topic.

haley1

Enlightened
Hellllloooo, what works for me. I have carpet in one of my trucks, and vinyl in the other. I mounted a stinger charger on a piece of scrap metal, wood would work also. Then put a peice of vinyl none slip material on bottom with hot glue. You can put it on the hump in any vehicle, with the room that is and it will stay put in all but extreme cases. Climbing reallllly steep slopes may dislodge it or extremely bumpy roads. I've had no problems however and I regularly travel on these types of trails. But there's always a chance. But this way you aren't drilling holes and it can be swithed out between vehicles without a bother.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on the layout of the truck you can sometimes fine screws that hold the center console in place or plastic panels under the dash and just put in a longer screw and a bracket. I've seen cb radios mounted that way.

RussH

Enlightened
I have what's called 3M Command utensil hook mounted to my dash. I now see that it is only rated 1/2 lb. I think I've been using it for things heavier than that.
The ones called Interlocking removable fasteners were what I had in mind originally. I didn't see what weight they can hold, but you could certainly use several if needed. It's a good way to hang stuff without using screws and it's completely removable later -RussH

Blackbeagle

Newly Enlightened
Drill the holes and mount the light INSIDE the glove compartment. Granted that you'll lose some space in there, but the real advantage is that it will be "out of sight, out of mind" for anyone peeking into your car looking for something to buy a fix with.