What's beyond the PR-T ?

akula88

Enlightened
What\'s beyond the PR-T ?

Seeing the upcoming Mr.Bulk's VIP with its BulkHead and the other massive large head, what other head/conversion that may be possible for the McLux / SF E-series heads?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s beyond the PR-T ?

None. Ya has ta buy a VIP... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

the pr is the biggest mod that's available, but you could make something with a mag reflector if you really wanted to.

in fact, i think i know somone who's planning to do this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

I was thinking of making an adaptor/heatsink , that would let you thread a C mag head onto a SF or Mclux bod.

But I think it might be too big, and look dumb . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

akula88

Enlightened

This are the inspiration of my post
McGizmo's creation.
lineup.jpg

Using E2C, the E-series adapts the C-series accessories. MODding the Turbohead to accept Lux...

... and the upcoming VIP's medium head (Bulkhead? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
vip23.jpg

Johnny

akula88

Enlightened

GO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif jtice !

It will open up another avenue for mix and match...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

I adapted a Mag head to fit the Exe series. Really, it's just rediculously large. The PR-T was almost as bright in a much smaller package.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

pictures?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

you should know better... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened

It was too embarrasing for pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

lol, yep, sounds like I should give up that idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

gee, and here I thought I was gonna be the first to do it ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm a big fan of the PR. They are really easy to work with and the beam is outstanding. Unless I'm mistaken, the line of McLux PR heads came out after it was discovered that the PR worked so well with LED's.

Now the natural question presents itself. What's beyond...? Well, it would depend on what you want. I think the PR based lights are perfect for most things that you would use a flashlight for. If you want a light for up close work, you could just take the reflector out of your McLux and voila. You have a very nice flood light. So at the other end of the spectrum, there's the "throw" issue.

I think that it is well settled that you need more reflector for more throw. If more throw is what you want, without getting too big, there is an option. Carley makes a very nice 1.37" reflector that is pretty easy to work with, although not as easy as the PR.

I modded a KL2 with one of these reflectors awhile back and the results were impressive. The output was very similar to that of a M@g mod. Of course, the KL2 was much bigger than a McLux PR, but the host for the Carley reflector doesn't need to be that big.

I have more Carley reflectors coming in and I'm going to build a few heads around them. At this point it's just a project for me, but I do question the practicality of a small light with a beam tight enough to out throw a PR based light.

I had played with the idea of just machining threads into the reflector itself and threading the front end of it for a bezel ring, but the aluminum used to make the reflectors isn't very heavy. What I mean by this is that I can tell by the way the reflectors machine, that the aluminum is pretty soft, so I decided against using this method.

When time permits, I'm going to build an entire light around the Carley 1.37" reflector and I will post the results for those interested. Although I don't think that the Carleys are better than the PR's, they do perform differently and that does open a new avenue for experimentation.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wish someone would start building custom reflectors for luxes. Looking at a 5w mag reflector mod, its bright, and got lots of usefull spill, but imagine if you could make it deeper and catch all that side spill. Add up all the side spill it's at least as bright as the center... Maybe something like a KL5 or even a PR in a long deep setup for a smaller bright corona and insanely tight spot?