Imalent        
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Posts
    912

    Default THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    As I have been absent for quite some time, I am not currently aware of all new goodness on the LED flashlight market. The very first thing I noticed on many a new flashlight is the "ramping UI" which I do just half know what they mean with.

    Now I would like to know: what is THE flashlight to have in 2020, and not just yell: " it's the XXXXX!!" But instead of just yelling a certain brand and type, I want to know WHY that is THE flashlight to have in 2020.
    I'm open for all categories: from tiny awesome lights on a single 10180 to impressive large throwers using multiple 18650s or 21700s. The only property I immediately rule out is a flashlight with a built-in, fixed battery pack of some special kind. It needs to operate on replaceable li-ion cells like 16340, 17500, 18500, 18650, 21700, 26650 or 32650.

    In the first category (tiny thingies) I just bought this one, and I'm puzzled by 2 things:
    1. HOW on earth can such a tiny thingie give 450 Lumens,
    2. HOW on earth can that tiny battery deliver 2.5 Amps? According to the description, there's instant access to some 2.5 Amp mode... as I understand I may not post direct links to sellers' sites, so just Google on:
    Lumintop GT Nano 450 Lumens

    Now does someone have an explanation for this miracle? Is it just that the driver used is CAPABLE of instant access to a 2.5 Amp mode, but should the user be aware of... don't ever try this??

  2. #2

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    It was called "turbo" prior to lumen wars days. One day the brief maximum ability was used as output numbers. Suddenly a 1x AA flashlight could put out 700 lumens*
    Yah-hoo!

    Ah, but that little * thingy in the fine print said for xx seconds then it reduces to about 75% output of our major competitors lights put out constantly.

    Then came the special battery capable of even more miraculous output for a short time. Little by little those special properties were being utilized in other lights as well. It's like running nitrous oxide through a turbo charged 4 cylinder engine.

    So here in 2020 the word "turbo" is back and thanks to some special battery technology turbo can be turbo-charged.

    THE ONE to have is kinda like which smart phone is best. It evolves rapidly so by the time you hit pay now at paypal something even more amazing is available.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-16-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    John 3:16

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    At least I pulled the trigger on a whole family of Lumintop "GT" lights. The GT Nano, GT micro and GT mini pro, for 10180, 14500 and 18650 batteries respectively.
    Let's see how these are!

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    It was called "turbo" prior to lumen wars days. One day the brief maximum ability was used as output numbers. Suddenly a 1x AA flashlight could put out 700 lumens*
    Yah-hoo!

    Ah, but that little * thingy in the fine print said for xx seconds then it reduces to about 75% output of our major competitors lights put out constantly.

    Then came the special battery capable of even more miraculous output for a short time. Little by little those special properties were being utilized in other lights as well. It's like running nitrous oxide through a turbo charged 4 cylinder engine.

    So here in 2020 the word "turbo" is back and thanks to some special battery technology turbo can be turbo-charged.

    THE ONE to have is kinda like which smart phone is best. It evolves rapidly so by the time you hit pay now at paypal something even more amazing is available.

  4. #4

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    At least I pulled the trigger on a whole family of Lumintop "GT" lights. ... ...
    Lumintop GT 94 is due on Monday, Oct 19 at my door. I think it will be the 2020 led light of the year. Why? Because it is the first light, after a four year wait, to have both significantly more throw and significantly more lumens than the X65.

    There are more than a few Must Have lights in medium large, large medium, medium, small and very small size classifications, but the GT 94 should be a huge standout item. I will find out for myself in a few days.
    It could be worse. Common dangerous pet animals donít have antlers.

  5. #5

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    A custom light such as a Hanko or Deadwood is much smaller than that. They have been around for 4 or so years. They can output up to 4,000 lumens! not joking. However, now on the resale market they can set you back up to $8000.00 At a minimum for something 800 lumens, $$1500.00 So I am not sure if this even qualifies here. I figure you guy's are already aware of this anyhow. My favorite light right now is the Acebeam T28vn top tier. Even stock the T27 or T28 are nice throwers. I hope I do not get in trouble for saying this everywhere though. I am not even sure they are 2020 models. The Acebeam X65 is killer. I have nothing to do with them. I just like a couple of their lights I just got. I got an Imalent RT70 and was really let down. Again, I am not sure if these are 2020 models. If not, my apologies. Lumintop is good though. I have to hand it to them. I think the days of Surefire being king may have come to an end? I do not mean to start a war or anything. I am just wondering. I honestly have taken a break from this hobby for several years and just came back here. So if I sound like an idiot that explains why.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Exactly the same here. Your absence was just 5 years, mine was 10, so I got even further away from what current LED-lights may have to offer. But your post and the one above feed me with some valuable info!

    Quote Originally Posted by nitebrite View Post
    A custom light such as a Hanko or Deadwood is much smaller than that. They have been around for 4 or so years. They can output up to 4,000 lumens! not joking. However, now on the resale market they can set you back up to $8000.00 At a minimum for something 800 lumens, $$1500.00 So I am not sure if this even qualifies here. I figure you guy's are already aware of this anyhow. My favorite light right now is the Acebeam T28vn top tier. Even stock the T27 or T28 are nice throwers. I hope I do not get in trouble for saying this everywhere though. I am not even sure they are 2020 models. The Acebeam X65 is killer. I have nothing to do with them. I just like a couple of their lights I just got. I got an Imalent RT70 and was really let down. Again, I am not sure if these are 2020 models. If not, my apologies. Lumintop is good though. I have to hand it to them. I think the days of Surefire being king may have come to an end? I do not mean to start a war or anything. I am just wondering. I honestly have taken a break from this hobby for several years and just came back here. So if I sound like an idiot that explains why.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    I cannot find the GT94 on their site, but I actually CAN find the GT4, which has even more Lumens (25.000) and seems to be the same flashlight by the looks. The same weight, same diameter head etc etc. Now I can believe you, this must be an EXTREME monster... I'm curious what your findings are, especially hot the beam is. Purely by lokking at the four reflectors it is neither an extreme thrower nor an extreme flooder. Maybe it is just... the best of both worlds?? It has sooo much light output that it will have decent throw anyway I think :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by richbuff View Post
    Lumintop GT 94 is due on Monday, Oct 19 at my door. I think it will be the 2020 led light of the year. Why? Because it is the first light, after a four year wait, to have both significantly more throw and significantly more lumens than the X65.

    There are more than a few Must Have lights in medium large, large medium, medium, small and very small size classifications, but the GT 94 should be a huge standout item. I will find out for myself in a few days.

  8. #8

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    GT94: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ight&p=5410319
    GT4 is 4 x XHP70.2
    GT94 is 4 x SBT90.2

    GT4 is much more lumens, but much less throw than the GT94.

  9. #9

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    For the small light category, the Nitecore Tini 2 (500 lumens, 0.66 ounces, O l.e.d. display) when it comes out. To cover all other bases, the Nitecore E4K looks like it would fit the bill. 4400 lumens on one 21700 cell and 700 hours at 2 lumens, and 45 hours at 50 lumens.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Whoops, tht E4K looks like it will be a BEAST but still quite small. That creates one problem though: persisted use of the TURBO mode is prohibited by thermal regulation... I like Nitecore lights, I have the ultra-versatile SRT-7.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    For the small light category, the Nitecore Tini 2 (500 lumens, 0.66 ounces, O l.e.d. display) when it comes out. To cover all other bases, the Nitecore E4K looks like it would fit the bill. 4400 lumens on one 21700 cell and 700 hours at 2 lumens, and 45 hours at 50 lumens.

  11. #11

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    Whoops, tht E4K looks like it will be a BEAST but still quite small. That creates one problem though: persisted use of the TURBO mode is prohibited by thermal regulation... I like Nitecore lights, I have the ultra-versatile SRT-7.
    I've noticed that most, if not all compact lights will step down to 500-600 lumens max. You need more mass to dissipate the heat meaning a larger light. I'll take a light that I can pocket or belt carry over one the size of a brick any day. 20-30 seconds on turbo works fine for signalling, route finding, and search and rescue. However, 7 seconds on turbo for the 10,000+ lumen lights is too short to be useful. There's always a tradeoff. You can have bright, lightweight, and long runtimes on high. Pick two.

  12. #12

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    Exactly the same here. Your absence was just 5 years, mine was 10, so I got even further away from what current LED-lights may have to offer. But your post and the one above feed me with some valuable info!
    Good gosh man! That was like coming back from the congo and finding out you missed WW2. A lot changed in those 10 years. Some would say that was the golden years. But you came back at a great time. The lumen wars have begun to be replaced with better tints and color renditions.
    Light bulb-esque LED's are taking root in the market now.
    John 3:16

  13. #13
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands, Amstelveen
    Posts
    912

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Light bulb-esque LED's? THAT's what I need! Which flashlights have these LEDs?
    Ehhhh.... Lumen wars are over? Well... if I take a look at that Nitecore E4K mentioned a few posts above, then I can only say, Lumens have exploded during these years. Yes, there's one exception from my absence: I bought a Nitecore SRT7 because it is so extremely versatile. ut that E4K, MAN, 4400 Lumens from that size... that was impossible just a few years ago. A quick calculation tells me, it draws 10 Amps(!) on Turbo. I think if you run it for more than 2 minutes and you would put it in a bucket full of water, you would hear <SSSSHHHHHHHH!!> :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Good gosh man! That was like coming back from the congo and finding out you missed WW2. A lot changed in those 10 years. Some would say that was the golden years. But you came back at a great time. The lumen wars have begun to be replaced with better tints and color renditions.
    Light bulb-esque LED's are taking root in the market now.

  14. #14

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    Light bulb-esque LED's? THAT's what I need! Which flashlights have these LEDs?
    Ehhhh.... Lumen wars are over? Well... if I take a look at that Nitecore E4K mentioned a few posts above, then I can only say, Lumens have exploded during these years. Yes, there's one exception from my absence: I bought a Nitecore SRT7 because it is so extremely versatile. ut that E4K, MAN, 4400 Lumens from that size... that was impossible just a few years ago. A quick calculation tells me, it draws 10 Amps(!) on Turbo. I think if you run it for more than 2 minutes and you would put it in a bucket full of water, you would hear <SSSSHHHHHHHH!!> :-)

    Sounds like more of a hand warmer than a flashlight.

  15. #15

    Default Re: THE one and only LED light for 2020?

    Quote Originally Posted by 325addict View Post
    Light bulb-esque LED's? THAT's what I need! Which flashlights have these LEDs?
    Ehhhh.... Lumen wars are over? Well... if I take a look at that Nitecore E4K mentioned a few posts above, then I can only say, Lumens have exploded during these years. Yes, there's one exception from my absence: I bought a Nitecore SRT7 because it is so extremely versatile. ut that E4K, MAN, 4400 Lumens from that size... that was impossible just a few years ago. A quick calculation tells me, it draws 10 Amps(!) on Turbo. I think if you run it for more than 2 minutes and you would put it in a bucket full of water, you would hear <SSSSHHHHHHHH!!> :-)
    Lumen wars rage on. At least in the general market. But for us flashlight nuts those Nichia LED's that come in neutral and warm tints are popular. 219B and 219C are not used in battery powered sunshine numbers as they don't "burn" as brightly as the cool white numbers. However if you are an incan SureFire fan there are several drop in modules to choose from for the E series and C/P series. Maglite has a series called Spectrum that have colored or warm beams from some of their smaller lights. Elzetta lights have a nice neutral beam and Streamlight has begun releasing theirs in a slightly warmer tint than their old C4 LED's.

    One called Yuji was a fun liitle bi-pin LED much like a bi-pin bulb. A fairly low output was available in 5200k and 3200k. Trouble was you had to buy 1000 at a time. So a couple of folks bought a batch and sold them here in batches of 25 (iirc). Great in minimags, burnt P60's or other ways of using a 3 volt bi-pin light bulb. I modified a minimag and set it on a mantle turned on for a few days. Putting out around 8 floody lumens it ran day after day until I turned it off. I have a P60 with one in a fivemega 3P body. A Yuji in a 2D Maglite bi pin adapter could run for months.


    My favorite Yuji mod.
    A Bright Star made minimag style light came with a T1 bi-pin, which was not very bright but had a bigger globe than the minimag. So was no need to widen the hole in the stock reflector. The 5mm 3200 kelvin Yuji was actually brighter and has a much nicer beam than the stock bulb. A nite ize led kit for minimag comes with a replacement reflector. The Yuji fits that reflector well or one can simply widen the hole in the stock reflector.

    There was a Fenix E01 clone made by Sofirm called the C01. It was a limited run of 1000 in each color (red or blue iirc) that used a Yuji 3200 kelvin LED. It did everything folks wished the E01 could do including a better tail stander. Better beam, better runtime, better tint etc. There may be another run of those going.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 10-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.
    John 3:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •