Received Arc-LE

Gandalf

Enlightened
YES! My long awaited Arc-LE arrived this afternoon.
shocked.gif
It looks really cool, with that strange 'neutral' Type 3 finish, but I *like* it.
wink.gif
The white lamp *does* put out more light than the 'standard' Arc-AAA. Not a *lot* more, but a very visible difference. To be fair, though, the increased light output will not make this a better light; the difference just isn't enough.
frown.gif
But the light is a masterwork, and to a diehard flashaholic
blush.gif
it's a light I had to buy.
grin.gif

Pity I didn't see Peter's note to buy through a distributor, at a lower price; I assumed that these lights would *only* be sold through Arc Flashlights. But I knew the cost when I ordered it, so I can't really complain.
rolleyes.gif
Those of you who are wiser than I, will pay less for yours, though it might take longer to get. I would have waited, but I didn't know it was an option. Meanwhile, while you are waiting for yours, it's worth the wait!
grin.gif
Another masterpiece from Peter, and Arc Flashlights!!!
cool.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gandalf,-would you describe the color of that HA finish to sort of a greenish-gray, or what?
(I reserved one via TTS, and like you said, am having to wait longer for delivery-for a lesser cost)
tongue.gif

p.s.-is the beam on yours well-centered?

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Just as an FYI if UPS tracking is correct they should arrive sometime Monday.

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
Gandalf,-would you describe the color of that HA finish to sort of a greenish-gray, or what?
(I reserved one via TTS, and like you said, am having to wait longer for delivery-for a lesser cost)
tongue.gif

p.s.-is the beam on yours well-centered?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 'color' of the finish is hard to describe; add to that my significant degree of colorblindness, and I'm not sure I can give a good, accurate description.
blush.gif
However, I asked a friend what color she though it was, (her color vision is perfect, naturally...) and she simply said 'grey'. I asked her if she though there was any green in it, and she said 'well, maybe a little bit greenish. But mostly, grey'. I asked her if there was any olive green in it, and she gave a definite 'no'. It looks similar, but not the same as the barrel on my SureFire M6, however, the whole Arc-LE is knurled, and that affects the way light reflects from it. So I'd have to say that it it's mostly a dark greyish color. To my color crippled eyes, it looks to have some olive green it it, but I'm likely wrong about that. (Remember the old joke: If a man is alone in the forest, and he says something, and there's no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?) I'm *always* wrong about color! Some, but not all, bright yellow flashlights, (especially neon yellow ones, I think) look to have a very distinct greenish tint to them. In the house I grew up in, there was a carpet on the living room floor that always looked a rather unpleasant shade of split pea soup green. I'm told that it was actually gold. So if I want a gold carpet, or furniture for my living room, do I have to get a nauseating split pea green color?
frown.gif
tongue.gif

The beam appears perfectly centered; and like my other white Arc-AAA, has that rather strange cross or 'X' when shined up on the ceiling. I keep meaning to ask if all the white Arc-AAA's have that cross. My CMG Infinity, and 3AAAA stylus doesn't have one.

It's amazing how much light the Arc-AAA puts out when your eyes are dark adapted. I was out in the country, away from city lights and the nearest light was 100 yards away. The little Arc-LE lit up a very large swath of an unplowed farm field. My 3 D cell single Luxeon Star light looked like a searchlight, under the same conditions.
cool.gif

I can't wait for the Arc-LS; it is going to make every other LED flashlight, (except for the ones made by Gadget with very high numbers of white Nichia LEDs!), and the Trek 14 (maybe?) and 19, pretty much obsolete.
grin.gif
wink.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I got mine this morning as I was on my way out the door and with no AAA battery. The color is hard to describe; gray, but not pure gray, a tinge of olive? (This is one of those "colors no one knows the name of").
I don't have a single white LED to compare it to handy, but it seems bright and not quite as blue as some.
Thanks Peter, nice job.
Walter

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by videocal:
tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ordered mine through the Arc Flashlight website, but Peter Gransee is urging people to buy through Arc distributors, where the cost may be a little less. (Mine was $39.95, delivered) I don't know what 'TTS' stands for, but it might be worth finding out.
cool.gif
wink.gif

Hmm... I just checked the website, and I don't see it there either. Perhaps because all of the first run was shipped, and the next batch won't be available for approx. 3 weeks. But perhaps some disributors may have them, or be taking orders.
confused.gif

Ok, I went back to the Arc website, and clicked on 'more information' for the Arc-AAA light, and there is a place to order the Arc-LE, with a note they are out of stock.
rolleyes.gif
The demand exceeds the suppy, unfortunately. AS far as distributors go, I bought my first white Arc-AAA through brightguy.com, where it was $3 less than directly from Arc. That's more than 10%
cool.gif
But I have a feeling that most Candlepowerforums members are more interested in *when* they can get one, than saving a few dollars. I guess I was just lucky.
wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have a really nice 2nd gen. Arc-AAA, but decided to order an LE version anyway.
Also, waiting longer for it does not bother me at all, because I noted on one of Mr. Gransee's posts that the second run of the LE versions will be even better scrutinized (quality control?), [for much less "blue tint", as well as consistent beam centering]-that's what's REALLY important to me....so I'm all right with that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't know what 'TTS' stands for, but it might be worth finding out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

William at Texas Tactical Supply has offered special deals to us before. Pre-orders on the Arc-LS and the LE ArcAAA.
wink.gif

[email protected]

BTW, his "handle" here on CPF is (of all things) TTS.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Gandalf:

I intend to buy ARC-AAA "LE" because of its brightness compared to the regular one. For its price, do you think that's a wise decision? Or do you think one should buy it because of collector's reasons, color, and etc.?

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1:
Gandalf:

I intend to buy ARC-AAA "LE" because of its brightness compared to the regular one. For its price, do you think that's a wise decision? Or do you think one should buy it because of collector's reasons, color, and etc.?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you should buy one because you simply want to own one. The light output between the LE and regular version is not great; you wouldn't know the difference unless you compared them side by side. THe HA finish is certainly different, but again not really unique enough to make this LE edition a 'must have' light. It'll last longer than the standard anodized finish, but few people actually carry these 'keychain lights' on a keychain.
If you want the light simply for functionality, you could save $15 to $20 and get a regular version Arc-AAA. If you really are a hard core flashaholic, as I am, you'll buy it simply *because* it's different than the regular Arc-AAA. Wise decision? Yeah, right; I've made 'wise decisions' when I've purchased each and every one of the approx. 125 flashlights I owm. It's a cool flashlight, and it's expensive. If you are balancing cost vs. function, etc. you are being far too rational, and will have to turn in your flashaholics anonymous card *now*. (Just kidding, no offence intended).
shocked.gif
Sorry, but I can't really give you a good reason to buy, or not to buy, the Arc-LE.

OrBy

Newly Enlightened
Thank you tts I realized that before I asked the question, but none on the places listed on the Arc website showed that they even specifically carried the Arc-LE.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you need to contact the distributors and see if they can get an LE or not.

I got my arc AAA LE today. So as soon as I got home I loaded it with a battery and did a comparison test.
flashlight_1653_3973

Results:
I can't describe the case color it's not quite gray, its a little darker and grayer than this picture, but other wise a good match lets call it "off gray"

Brightness: It might be a bit brighter than my regular arcAAA, but its hard too tell. The color seems to result in better visual acuity though.

Color: by itself the light looks bluish, but compared to my photon or my old arc it looks more greenish yellow. I like this color better for seeing things.

I also have a princeton tec pulsar that is this same greenish yellow color. I think there is a lot of variation in color among Nichia LED's so your result will vary. When I bought the Pulsar I tested every one they had by pressing on it in the box. There was a very noticeable difference in color and output.
Beam:
Nice and smooth, a bit off centered but not a problem for actual use. A bit nicer than my regular white Arc.

Fit & Finish:
The LED is cocked to the side a bit, my previous model was straight, see Peters note above.

Rather than buy an LE you might just want to consider buying a bunch of regular Arcs testing them to find the best one then giving the rest away as gifts (get your Christmas shopping done in Sept!
grin.gif
)
There is a lot of variation in the LED's themselves like I said before.

WillnTex

Newly Enlightened
Our first shipment of Limited Editions arrived finally. If you reserved yours prior to the original cutoff date you should be getting an email. If you responded before the cutoff for the initial run feel free to give me a call 1-877-4POLICE

nonbox

Banned
Are the Arc-LEs available for sale right now? Are there only 2 batches? Will there be more?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I received my Arc-LE from TTS yesterday. The advertised improvements from the 2nd generation ARC were there, the tint of the light (greenish-yellowish, definitely whiter), and the hard anodized case, a sort of light-medium grey color.

One other difference is the where the head screws into the body. On the 2nd generation Arc (I got a fairly early 2nd gen) there's a sort of truncated cone (hollowed out) on the head, that meets the top of the threads, presumably for water proofness. The Arc-LE has an o-ring, that provides a tighter fit. It's probably more water proof now, but it is also noticeably harder to turn as well, though not excessively once I broke it in.

Overall a good job.

roguesoul

Newly Enlightened
Got my LE today, nice but there is a gap between the LED and the Aluminum. So I guess it wont be water proof even a little.
Peter?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by roguesoul:
Got my LE today, nice but there is a gap between the LED and the Aluminum. So I guess it wont be water proof even a little.
Peter?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The base of the LED to the PCB is completely encased in hard epoxy. It is water proof to at least 8 feet or more- so don't worry about dropping it in the pool, etc.

Peter