Surefire 6p LED question

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I have my eye on a Surefire 6p light but it says it`s LED (and I want Incan) will it just be a P60 module I can swap out? or is there a LED only Surefire 6p?

it`s a bit expensive and I don`t want to make a mistake.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two possible options.

The 6P LED with 120 lumens has a complete head, not a dropin. Don' remember the name of the head. The head was also sold separately.

Here a picture of this 120 Lumens version:
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-surefire-6p-led.htm

You also see the difference on the plastic bezel.

The 80 Lumens version has a P60L dropin that looks like a normal P60, the difference it has an LED.

--edit--
The LED Head was named KX4

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Thanks so much guys! you`ve just saved me a load of cash and greif! it is indeed the LED only version, oh well, I guess I`ll keep looking! :)

Thanks again! xx

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The G2 LED had an LED drop in so if you can find what would have been called "G2L" light that is swappable. It had the P60L instead of an incan P60. The earlier ones came with a head unit made of the same polymer as the body but later they came with coated to match metal head to better disipate heat from the next gen P60L.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing to note about the 6P LED and normal 6P is that they both use the exact same tail cap and body. Only the head is different. So you could technically convert a 6P to a 6P LED and vice versa. That's one thing you may have to watch out for when purchasing these old lights. Some may have mixed and matched parts so you may not get something configured exactly as it was from the factory.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are watching the one on that auction site in the UK, ending at 17:37:39GMT, then that is the early 6P LED that had a P60L drop-in and is swappable with an incan P60.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The first-generation bodies were engraved like that, even though the flashlights were classic 6P's in every way except the dropin.

There were two variants, one with a Nitrolon head/bezel assembly and one with the traditional Z44 aluminum assembly.
I think the Nitrolon 'Z44' variant came out a little later, but it's been a while & I'm not certain.
That was related to the poor performance of the thermal-limited P60LED dropin;
  • 80 lumens upon turn-on
  • ~60 lumens thermally-regulated in the aluminum Z44
  • ~50 lumens thermally-regulated in the nitrolon 'Z44'
They were horrible dropins, and I got rid of mine as soon as possible.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep. Put another surefire head on it and a P60 incandescent in her and your all set.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Katherine Alicia

It is like I tried to explain. There are two versions of the "6P LED", the early 80 lumns version has a P60L Dropin instead the Xenon P60 Dropin. Later there was a 120 Lumen version with a KX4 LED head.

The auction 265041675500 has a swapable P60L. That can be observed checking the bezel ring. The KX4 bezel ring is different.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though it says "6P LED" on the side of the light itself?

Yes, you'll be able to fit an incan drop-in without any issues.

Check the previous listed link which has the later head and is an LED only head, you'll notice that the bezel ring is different on these two versions.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
well I did wonder about the bezel difference myself but thought nothing of it until I saw "LED" on the side, so I guess I`ll give it a try ;)

kamagong

Newly Enlightened
Top is a 6P Original. Bottom is a 6PL with a P60L drop-in. As noted, the heads, bodies, and tailcaps are identical save for the writing on the body.

40560528862_38c6d59af1_c.jpg