Horatio Hornblower mini series

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone watched the Horatio Hornblower mini series on A & E?

The quality is really good. I think I've seen them all but was wondering if anyone knows if A & E will be making anymore of the series? If any one is interested A & E has the whole series on sale for $ 95.95

The Duel
The Fire Ships
The Duchess and the Devil
The Wrong War
The Mutiny
Retribution
Loyalty
Duty

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved the books.
The series manages to capture the spirit of the books quite well.

The Patrick O'Brien series of books is great too!
Master and Commander (The Far Side of the World) also did a great job of bringing this story to life!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen them all; I love this period. A&E does a very good job.

Master & Commander goes so over the top in it's detail and quality, it made the Hornblower series look a little like TV vs. The Movies. Love them both, but watching one after the other highlights the difference an extra 30 million can make in a production.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I've never read the books (not yet anyhow) but I have enjoyed each of the A&E Hornblower movies made so far. I think I've watched each one 2 or 3 times over.

Avix

Newly Enlightened
big fan of the books, liked most of the shows, but the last 2 were pretty, uhm, weak I thought. (so weak I didn't finish watching the last one)

but I just can't get into O'Brians, there well written, but just can't get into them for some reason, wish I knew.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Read all the books of both authors and saw most of the Hornblower movies. The movies were fine but the books were better. Some of the O'Brian books are outright wonderful, Book one "Master and Commander" being one of them. BTW, the M&C movie (which I'll see on DVD) combines volume 1 with another volume, possibly 10.

The Napoleonic period as seen through the eyes of the two authors is fascinating and led me to read several biographies about Horatio Nelson, England's greatest naval hero.

Avix,

Many readers are put off by the extreme detail of Maturin's observations; it does get a bit over the top at times and some of the later books seem a bit contrived.

Brightnorm

Avix

Newly Enlightened
hmmm, mayhaps thats the reason. I've found a few of Tom Clancey's later books (rainbow six) made me feel the same way