Cringe worthy series

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Another one for the list:

The Big Bang Theory

To understand, just watch an edited episode with the laugh tracks removed. Several shows use it as a crutch, but TBBT is flatter than a sprite without it to carry the "humor".

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't forget "Alf"; jeez ... :shakehead:
All of the actors involved would agree with you.
By the last episode, the actress who played the daughter was horribly addicted to some hard-core drugs. The actor who played the dad genuinely hated the guy who owned Alf and made the puppet come to life. Things almost got physical. Alf's owner was apparently a raging ego-maniac. Everyone on set except his own hired technicians, hated him. All the cast members were sick of being on the show by the final season because the Alf puppet was constantly breaking down! We're talking numerous times per filming. Causing huge delays.

The "Dad" did an interview many years later in which he spilled the beans about everything. Especially that final episode. Ironically that day, the Alf puppet didn't malfunction once! Everyone wanted to just get it over with. So nearly the entire episode was done with one-take, for each scene. When that final scene was shot, and it was a wrap, "Dad" just walked out. Climbed into his sports car, and literally just drove away. Never spoke a word to ANYONE! No wrap party, obviously. Apparently the cast didn't even like each other by that point. Only thing they despised more than each other was Alf's owner. They were united in their apparently justified hatred of him.

I mean, I've never heard of another show so universally despised by everyone who worked on it.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Lord of the Rings , The Rings of Power - 9 hours of drama to set themselves up for season 2.:sleep:

Any reality show

Anything with Will Ferrel or Gordan Ramsey. Those people should not be allowed on television.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know! But I don't know why Seinfeld is cringe worthy, he just is. Maybe because his show is about nothing... I'll leave it to idleprocess to 'splain it, 'cause he's really smart. :)
Somebody left a Seinfeld season 6 DVD set out front of their house, which is typical after a (large) yard sale event here with items which don't sell, and owners just want rid of it. I picked it up and started watching, packed it up and gave it away after a couple of episodes. No doubt, Jerry is a funny and witty guy, but I found the plots often frivolous, and the characters mostly annoying and one-dimensional. Part of a successful show is being able to relate to at least some of the characters, which I mostly could not.

Dave

Monocrom

Flashaholic
...No doubt, Jerry is a funny and witty guy, but I found the plots often frivolous, and the characters mostly annoying and one-dimensional. Part of a successful show is being able to relate to at least some of the characters, which I mostly could not.

Dave
Honestly, I think that was the main point. You're not supposed to relate to any of the regulars on the show. They're all horrible, amoral people who for some odd reason like hanging out with each other almost exclusively.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I think that was the main point. You're not supposed to relate to any of the regulars on the show. They're all horrible, amoral people who for some odd reason like hanging out with each other almost exclusively.
I guess that is the point. A lot of the series I watch have good character development and acting e.g. Line of Duty which means you can relate to some of the characters. They are pretty 3-dimensional, even the "good guys" have their demons, not that that's unique...

In a lot of sitcoms, the characters are not necessarily evil or amoral, just stereotyped, superficial, etc. which is the nature of low-budget production and acting (which gives us something else to talk and complain about) :)

Dave

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that is the point. A lot of the series I watch have good character development and acting e.g. Line of Duty which means you can relate to some of the characters. They are pretty 3-dimensional, even the "good guys" have their demons, not that that's unique...

In a lot of sitcoms, the characters are not necessarily evil or amoral, just stereotyped, superficial, etc. which is the nature of low-budget production and acting (which gives us something else to talk and complain about) :)

Dave
I loved Line of Duty and Seinfeld and can hardly think of two more dissimilar shows to compare.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not back when it came out, but nowadays and if it crossed the pond from England to America.... The cringiest show ever....

'Allo 'Allo.

Set in Occupied France during WW2. The show follows the exploits of cafe owner Renee. An unlikely man who is secretly a high-ranking Resistance operative, fighting against the Germans. Aided by his wife and two Serving girls (whom he's secretly sleeping with behind his wife's back). Renee does his best to survive and thwart the Germans. Things are made difficult for him when a Lieutenant who seems to practice an "Alternative Lifestyle" has his eye on Renee. Quite some time later, a ranking Gestapo member shows up to take charge at the French village where Renee runs his cafe. If you think this would make for an intense drama.... Yes, you are correct. So why would this 1982 British TV show be horribly cringe?

It's a Situational comedy.