are Coin-cell LEDs Waterproof?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I can't answer if they'll work underwater -
but I can tell you that my Dim 20 for $20 LED from CountyComm (using a single 2016 battery) managed to survive TWO full wash cycles in my washing machine.........

Yes, TWO full cycles - both with 2nd rinse and spin.

Why did I use such a severe torture test?
- well DoH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif it was an accident -
I managed to leave my dim 20 for $20 in my pants pocket when I washed it - and didn't notice/find the light until after I completed the next/another wash load - so 2 full cycles - both with 2nd rinse and spin.

When I saw the light at the bottom of the machine when I was unloading the second wash - I pull it out and switched it ON
and it worked!

So I opened it up to dry things out (so, yes, it was wet inside) - and took the opportunity to take a photo/scan -

20for20_disassm_S.jpg

along with the left-over materials I used to make the dummy battery cell so the light would work with a single 2016 (to salvage the strobing/bad LED and give a dim white light)

dummy2016.jpg

that's a less successful plastic disc I tried cutting by drawing an outline of the 2016 battery - I found it much easier and more successful simply cutting directly around the 2016 as the template.

The dummy battery is using 3 layers of these home made platic discs wrapped with aluminum foil - emphasising coverage around the edge that faces the contact/"switch" area.

other related threads -

joys of a DIM flashlight

20 for $20 LED Lights

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think there's much that water can do to those lights that a rinse and reassembly after possible battery replacement won't fix.

Note that rather than messing with cutting out spacers, you can use a 2032 battery which will last a lot longer than a 2016 anyway. Batterystation sells them for 50 cents each, or you can get the red-led 20/$20 lights and each contains one.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Note that rather than messing with cutting out spacers, you can use a 2032 battery which will last a lot longer than a 2016 anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree - and I guess I should have mentioned that the 2032 is a direct replacement in size for 2x 2016's.

I wasted time and messed around because I have a surplus of 2016's and wanted to salvage what I had - eg: that LED which is in fact "bad" as it will strobe on the full 2x 2016 - should by all accounts be trash (for most people) that also gave me 2 good 2016 batteries - rather than putting a nice new 2032 battery in there - I used up several minutes of thinking and and DIY time to use one of those spare 2016's......

Yes I know it seems like waste of time -
but hey, it keeps me happy
......and off the streets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks.