• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Project Aurora TK - Cancelled. Sorry Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to lack of interest, capability and/or quotations from the primary machinists, this project offering is being cancelled.

I apologize to everyone who expressed interest. I will pursue some secondary routes to getting some units made up but it doesn't look good.

Again, sorry everyone.

Wilkey

Hi everyone. The main Project Aurora thread has gotten quite long so I thought it might be best to start an official "interest" thread here in C-M BST.

Please post here if you have interest in this turn-key project for the world's brightest 3D-form flashlight. At this point, it's my ultimate hot-wire creation and one that has drawn an "Oh S$@#t" from almost everyone who's seen it in action. Well, except for my dad. He doesn't like to swear in front of his kids /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At this point, the body is still a heavily modified Mag 3D although I am exploring the possibility of getting a custom-made tube. It'll still look substantially like a Mag body in shape. In either case, I've inquired about special finishes (such as HA3 and electroless nickel) and special metals of construction. For example, I'm personally lusting after a high-polish brass unit. Mmm, fistful of gold. Mmmmm.

What I know now about this project is that it is likely to cost between $250-$350 depending on the options. The majority of this is in the custom metal work for the body and AuroraDaddy 3" head. You will also need to provide your own charger or I can refer you to the flexible and cost effective components I use in the development of the Aurora. If you have a flexible charger capable of charging 11 cells in series, you should be all set.

I will also supply bulbs at cost and provide links to the best sources for replacements. Everything from 1,200 and 1,700 lumen axials to the 4,000 lumen HOLA bulb.

I'll take questions in this thread and will be updating here as the design reaches finalization.

Thanks for your interest.

Wilkey

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Project Aurora TK Interest/Signup Thread

Me interested. Just have to get some $$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Can I use the Triton Charger?

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually a better question is, what's the MAX current I can use for charging the batteries, and how long will it take to charge at the current?

naromtap

Enlightened

Ginseng I hereby inform you that I am officially interested!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Triton charger will work perfectly. It's what I use. I used to charge it at 1.8A. The cells will take up to 3.5A charge rate but now I opt for a gentler, more complete charge. My usual rate is 0.6A. The duration depends on your depletion. I honestly have not measured charge time from a complete discharge with this charger. I'll do so at the next opportunity.

Wilkey

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know it's probably somewhere, but I can't find it. What's the aH of the battery pack?

Thanks.

BeamChucker

Newly Enlightened

I'd be definitely be interested depending on the options. But I can tell you right now that I'd only be interested if there is an option for it to look and feel like a regular old Mag, a Mag incognito, so to speak; and not a Mag in Drag (not a slam, it's just that the pun just came into my head and thought you might enjoy it). The attraction to me is to show everybody that they got a faulty Mag and this is how one is supposed to perform! If it has the special head or machining, I'd rather go for a superlight of some kind.

BeamChucker

wasabe64

Flashaholic*

I'm interested.

Do you have a timetable for the availability/prepurchase? (I'll be broke until mid-summer thanks to MR Bulk and Dspeck)

naromtap

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
The Triton charger will work perfectly. It's what I use. I used to charge it at 1.8A. The cells will take up to 3.5A charge rate but now I opt for a gentler, more complete charge. My usual rate is 0.6A. The duration depends on your depletion. I honestly have not measured charge time from a complete discharge with this charger. I'll do so at the next opportunity.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

The Triton charger here in the UK appears to be about £108 thats $196 - ouch!!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

naromtap,
$120 here. I can pick one up for you if desired.

Bchucker,
The Stealth Mode model is what you'll want. Looks just like a stock Mag 3D except that it makes some 75-times the lumens trimmed in the HOLA. The only unavoidable giveaway is the discreet, rectangular high amp rocker switch. Still, it's small, black and unobtrusive.

Nitro,
I use 4/5A with 1.8Ah capacity.

Wasabe,
This is an involved build so it won't be lightning fast. I'm sure we can we can work something out.

Wilkey

naromtap

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
naromtap,
$120 here. I can pick one up for you if desired.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Wilkey - appreciate it! Not required at this stage tho as I have no Aurora battery pack to charge yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm very interested as well but like wasabe, Mr.Bulk and Dspeck have put a slight drain on the finances. Perhaps you could break it down into payments (I love the idea of buying a 'flashlight' in payments , it'd be my insane little secret). Also, this keeps the my better half from going apesh*t when she sees a big chunka change leak out of the bank account.

rdf

Newly Enlightened

Sign me up.

To quote Spaceman Spiff: I'll set my mertilizer on deep-fat-fry.

maddog

Enlightened

you can count me in..........and i'm leaning toward the stealth mode myself.

maddog

Enlightened

do you know how this would match up with the "Mini Hid Mag" that's been floating around this forum?

thanks!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sign me up. I will need a charger (the triton that you mentioned) as well.

I want the mac-daddy of lights. I also want like one of every bulb and both heads as well as an extra battery. SWEET!!

Will the TK come with both heads?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened

Count me in, but I have a few questions:

How much more does the 3" head cost than the stealth head? Is the throw really that much better on the 3" head? Didn't you say you could strip the Mag anodizing and HAIII the body and the head? If so, how much will HAIII be?

My charger can only charge 4-8 cells /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, so I'll need to replace that. I can get the Hitec CG-340 easily on ebay for like $25, but will any power supply work? Hitec's site says it needs 9-13.8VDC and more than 4 amps. So I don't think I need a 13.8VDC 13A model. I'll probably get something a little weaker and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.