Cutting the Star pcb down...

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I cut the star down, will this cause the isolation to be null? I mean if you're cutting and sanding, then the copper and the aluminum might touch on the edges... right?

I'm trying to figure out how to put a R/O into a MM.
I could do a custom alumium slug then paint the whole thing, then put a steel ring/washer on the top for conducting and solder the - to that but I need to find aluminum stock that I can use for that...

If I cut down the star... I'll still need a thick heatsink on the back... Plus it's going to be hard to solder the emitter leads that close to the small opening of the MM... Hmmmmm tight clearences suck!

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done it before, I had to sand it down so far the solder pads were really my concernt, the + grounding out on the MM.

I just wrapped it in some tape. But my next one I want to be of higher quality, so i won't be using the star board.

Rather I will isolate just the emitter with artic alumina and a shaprie marker. and moutn the emitter right onto the slug. Drill a hole thought he HS for the + insulated wire.

Going to make a fat little drop of solder on the table then use clear epoxy to attach it to a piece of plastic slightly larger in diameter than the HS. attach the + to the Home made contact, and epoxy the piece of plastic to the HS itself.

I plan to use some aluminum rod smaller than the diameter of the MM, but larger than the opening at the top, this wasy the heat will be conducted through the HS, into the MM body by making contact with the top of the body tube.

I plan to put the emitter on the HS BEFORE I put it into the MM, or I would not be able to solder the leads either. I will center it while the epoxy cures with a modified MM reflector. This way the little "pill" is removable.

What do you think?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind, when I tried sharpie, I used 4 coats, and AA, and it still conducted through it. I need to post a pic of what I want to do, but I need a slug of aluminum to do it. I'm concerned that if I sand down a star, it the pcb will touch the aluminum where it's sanded/grinded. I need to look at a star closer...
Your description is what I described. I will put the emiter on before installing the pill too, but I'm saying there's not much clearence between the luxeon leads and the lip of the MM. I need a picture of an installed ill pill to know for sure.

What I'd really like is a large slug of alluminum. Center and AA the emiter to it, then paint the thing or hope the anodize doesn't scratch off inside the MM, and paint the top around the emitter, or use a peice of thin plastic. Then get another ring, only made of steel, and solder neg to it and that touches the lip. Of course have a backside with a pos wire coming through it like you described.

A large enough aluminum slug should be ok for DD off of 2 AA's. I won't be overdriving it on 3 batteries as Slick did, so heat shoulnd't be a concern, even if it doesn't touch the MM body. I noticed my 2D mag heatsink pedistal doesn't even get warm... This low of power doesn't generate a ton of heat...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Issac,

I've ground the star down with a hand file, and found that it did not compromise the isolation of the traces to the aluminium. I did this to mount a 1W red star to a brinkmann 2AA body. Everything worked fine. Just do a close visual inspection to make sure no copper slivers are conducting, and do a continuity test between both contacts and the PCB to make sure.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'd test it, but I was afraid if it did end up conducting and I couldn't fix it, I wouldn't have any of the star left to bend and pop the emitter off!

Still not sure which way I'm going to go, but regardless I'll have to do some closer inspections.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isaac, you want a picture of the Ill Pill IN stalled into a MM? Your right about there not being much space, But if you center the emitter perfect and drill holes Just next to the plastic base and bend the leads into the holes there is just enough space. If the emitter is not perfectly centered it would suck anyways...

I would like to use an NX-01 in mine, do you know if future sells them?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. I was wondering if you had to bend the leads into the thing.. Yes a pic would help. The NX01 is discontinued so I doubt it. Are you getting close to ordering more parts?

evan, more details about your brinkman if you would.. Not sure if using a star would work with the leads not having much room.

I might go back to my idea of grinding off the lip and force-fitting the aluminum slug into the body... Would give me more room to work with and great heatsinking...

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Issac,

Here's my Red Brinkmann 2AA.

bstar2.jpg

I beveled the top of the star back a bit (taking off a bit of the PCB material, hopefully eliminating any copper slivers that would short to the aluminium)

bstar1.jpg

I drilled holes in the star (and used a larger drill bit to bevel the PCB back) to pass the wires through to the Brinkmann bulb socket.

It may look like it's impossible for me to have drilled those holes - the trick here is that the star originally had a 1W white attached to it - I bought the red Luxeon as an emitter and mounted it after removing the white, cutting the star board down and drilling the holes.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah. I see the die is offset like my R/O's. Have you ever seen a "warm" luxeon that had a centered die?

I forgot the brinkman has a tail switch. This didn't help me as much because mags switch at the top.. Gives me some ideas though>> i need to think on it.. I may cut the star down, and put that on top of a slug.. ahh I don't know! hmm

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isaac my R4F red is perfectly centered but the other is a little off which is why I didn't think ou want it origionaly, its not as far off as that one though. I ahve too much to do this weekend but I'll try to work on that macro shot if I get a chance.

I don't think you will be able to use the star without grinding the lip..But then you have to get a clicky kroll...

Why would they discontinue such a great optic?!?!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both my S2F's are off center. I should of moved the led to center the die in the reflector on my 2D, but its easier to center the led than try to center the die! For my MM i'm just screwed, but I'm probably going to use a Mcflood so it shoulnd't be too bad.

I did get a kroll, and I love it. I plan to use it anyways. The NX05 is the "improved" optic over the NX01. It replaced it.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using a Fraen LP with that red Brinkmann. I can't remember if I epoxied the emitter down or just used regular silicone thermal paste (probably epoxied, knowing how I do things). If not, I may try moving the emitter over a mm or two to see if I can't get the die centered in the optic path.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the NX-05 is horrible unless using a LD, but for HD the NX-01 is the poop! I must find one!

that sucks they are off centered... Your's sound bright being S bins though! I loved my new reds because the color is richer than my old P4G's oh wait that doesn't sound right! lol Well it is BETTER color, a bit brighter too.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
as promised
GlowPowder.jpg

The glow powder goes right to the edge of the lip I believe, it might appear to be slightly over the lip but this should give you an idea.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
JI, as Isaac stated, the NX-01 is discontinued so I highly doubt you will find anywhere that sells them besides here in B/S/T. FYI, you can sometimes find NX-01s on Star/Os if the place you bought them from has old stock. By now even these will probably be hard to find.

The NX-01 is my favorite over any optic this size that I have tested so far. Just to show you how much I like them, and I know I shouldn't do this (my apologies) but:
nx_01s.jpg

Sorry none are for sale as part of an agreement with a fellow member made a while back unless I get more. I cannot break the promise. I know, I know, but I couldn't resist putting the pic up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
Justintoxicated said:
Grrrrrrr rarrrrrrrrrrrr! doh! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

BTW, nice GP mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
That is your RB "eye killer" mod, correct?

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
is RB really bad for the eyes? Every time I acidentaly get a glance at the emitter I see spots or lines if it was moving, my Friend actualy asked me to shine it in his eyes (durring daylight hours)he was seeing spots for a while lol.

hey I like that name /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif