Small rant on Re:s

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most know this but for those that don't if the "Re:" in a thread is changed you can't find the thread from the main board. Or, if you are looking at the main board and see "Re: 15,000 lux LS" but it's in a thread entitled "LS performance: YMMV" that can be dissapointing.

Sure, I probably spend too much time here but time is what is required to keep up with you guys. Getting a McGizmo, or a Jetts22 will require a satellite link and "Modified B/S/T" projected on to a small lens in my glasses. So sure, I spend too much time here and "Re:" changes are irritating.

Rant over.

Darell

Flashaholic
Agreed! I try to change them back and slap the wrist that messed with it. There are a few instances where a subject change is warranted. For the most part, the subject line should NOT be altered!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see those efforts and appreciate them. Impossible for you to keep up with all of them I would think. Sometimes I've noticed other members (myself included) giving a gentle FYI then correcting it. That's helpful, I think, because it takes some of the load off the Admins. Just gotta be real careful to not tick off another member.

Thanks for all your efforts at CPF. I've often wondered if you are hourly or salary.

- Jeff

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
He gets paid by the post. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

But seriously, Darell along with all the Admin and Mods do a great job and handle things well.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Changing the subject

I hate it when people do that!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Re: Changing the subject

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I've noticed other members (myself included) giving a gentle FYI then correcting it.

[/ QUOTE ]And this is what it is all about! Self-moderation is the name of the game. Nobody likes to be the bad guy, so if we can all be the "gentle police" this place runs much smoother with fewer rough edges. Thanks to EVERYBODY who helps. We, the staff, simply could not do it without a superb membership.

BTW, I'm neither hourly nor salaried. Just just get paid with good lovin'. Contact Sasha for details.

Tree: Thanks for the strokes. Man, seems like we used to chat more. Where ya been? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tyler: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

It took me a while to notice, Tyler Durden. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Good one. Obvious predictable default jocularity but good, none the less. I suppose it could be said I baited you. Heck, I LOLed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

So, as you wish, "Re:Changing the subject" it is. Catchy phrase BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

And what is meant by that!!??

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I'm neither hourly nor salaried. Just just get paid with good lovin'. Contact Sasha for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never understood the fuss over this. I don't change the subject myself but how can it possibly affect anything? You guys must be using some crazy way to read threads other than flat mode.

Mark

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
And what is meant by that!!??

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Freudian typo, perhaps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Changing the subject: some crazy way to read.

PhotonBoy -

I can see that. Only, my 2004 programming requests have invaded my 2003 actuary dependence through 2005 already. Maybe Darell is on to something with this responsible self moderation stuff? I think you and I may both agree that it has proven to be a good idea? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy -

I hear ya. I think it might be a shoe thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

*After trying to respectfully squeak past member 378, watch Icebreak get real timid with member 87*

Lux Luthor -

Fraud? I dent see no fraud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well now Darell... if we tell them the "details"... they'll all want to sign up... and you wouldn't want anyone else cutting in on your "pay" now, would you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Changing the subject: Hard to handle.

[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
Just just get paid with good lovin'.

[/ QUOTE ]

First time I've ever heard the man stutter. Must be rhythm and blues.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ha, ha, ha, where does the moderator wannabe line start?

[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well now Darell... if we tell them the "details"... they'll all want to sign up... and you wouldn't want anyone else cutting in on your "pay" now, would you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

Wait a minute. I have been doing this for nothing and Darell gets what? I'm forming a Union.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I think changing the subject line is a worthy subject of contention! In addition to the "Ground Hogs Day" syndrome we seem to be getting more of now you see it, now you don't. Going OT or simple topic drift is one thing but radical changes in the subject line certainly don't aid in the continuity! Out of curiousity, from the title of the subject as seen in the "latest posts" I clicked on This Thread , titled "Got my XM2 - Initial Thoughts" what I was taken to was a post titled "XM2 on single Li-Ion / PILA" and on the current page (6 on my browser set up), there are 6 diferent subject titles shown; all significantly different in content! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif It would seem that certain threads are more or less prone to changes in the subject title but habits learned and accepted in one forum might not be appreciated in another forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Minjin said:
I've never understood the fuss over this. I don't change the subject myself but how can it possibly affect anything? You guys must be using some crazy way to read threads other than flat mode.

[/ QUOTE ]Ok, let's say a thread is started with the subject of "How does the subject effect anything?" Two days later, I change the subject to "I see no problem with it!" Now Don comes along. He had participated in the thread in the early days when it had the first title. Knowing the thread had been active, he looks at the "Recent Threads" link (and this, by the way, is how I do most of my CPF surfing) and all he finds is "I see no problem with it!." Since that has nothing to do with the subject he's searching for, he can't find it. The initial subject is never shown again in this view.

The deal is that if you're looking for a thread from the main index, it will be entitled one thing, and if you're looking at the latest threads, it will have a different title. And from somebody who looks both ways quite a few times a day, this sucks. THAT's the big deal.