Dragon 9W Tri LED Dive Light (Pictures Included)

Free

Enlightened
On Friday, I recieved my Dragon-9 LED light from Barbolights.

I was very excited to recieve the Silver one that I ordered, but was a bit disapointed when I opened the package and found that I was sent a Gold one instead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

After a few days, I am finding that I really like the Gold color, and it seems appropriate, considering what a well made light this is, and it is as solid and heavy as a gold brick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Here is a picture of it between my 3D Tristar, and my Hyperlux V for a size comparison:

Tristar%20Dragon%20Hyperlux.jpg

And next to my Tristar showing the heads of both:

Tristar%20Dragon.jpg

The tail on the Dragon twists to turn on and off, and has a well greased tight feel, similar to what I would expect a submarine hatch to feel like when it is closed. Although I have not tested it, I have no doubts that this light will meet the submersion specifications listed on their web site. I have not been able to remove the head, it is on very tight and I don't want to damage this beautiful light.

I am waiting on the rechargeable battery pack, so for the moment I am running it on 3 Energizer E2E C cell batteries. Here is a comparison picture against my Tristar. The Dragon is on the left:

Dragon%20VS%20Tristar.jpg

The Tristar is running on 3 D Cell E2E's and appears to have a bit tighter and brighter hot spot. The Dragon is not quite as bright, but close, and has a larger hot spot and spill.

Of course the Dragon is a much smaller light and you could easily stick it in your back pocket. I am looking forward to seeing how it will perform with the rechargeable battery pack. It will also be interesting to compare it to the new Phazer Tristar when it is released.

This has quickly become one of my favorite lights. It is very well made, a work of art really, and has the best beam, for its size, of all of my lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Dragon 9W Tri LED Dive Light (Pictures Includ

Handsome light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that will be my next light when I save up some more $$$. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The gold color looks good next to the other lights in the pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
Sell

If you ever get annoyed with the gold color, post it up for sale. I am sure someone will buy it.

And...nice light!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sell

I hope your rechargeable pack on DragonLED could match your 3D Tristar:)

Alan

Free

Enlightened

Alan, that would be my hope, however, I have tried NIMH in the Dragon and it still does not have quite the beam of the 4D Tristar. I believe that it is more of an issue with the focus of the optics rather than a power issue. My Tristar is perfectly focused. Still, the Dragon is no slouch, especially for its size /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hope that my DragonLED and DragonHID would arrive in next couple days:)

Alan

Free

Enlightened

You are going to love the DragonLed. The Dragon HID is pretty neat too (I need to start another thread), but I like the LED the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

If you have a light meter, compare the Dragon to the Tri-Star by measuring overall light output in a dark closet or bathroom. There will be a difference in light meter reading mumbers. Place the lights one at a time in the same spot, shine the light at the ceiling and measure output. Keep the light meter in the same spot for both readings. Simple but accurate, and is good for comparative purposes. If you know the lumens of a given flashlight, such as a SureFire 6P with fresh batteries that has been run for one minute (approx 65 lumens) then you can figure an approximate lumen rating for your light by testing the SureFire in the same spot you will test other lights. Use the same lux or footcandle scale for all lights.

Bill

Bill

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry about the color, I will replace it a no cost if you want to.
We hope to offer narrower optics soon. From 6º to 4º.

Free

Enlightened

Thank you for the offer Barbarin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am actually very happy with the Gold. It was not my first choice, but I have no Gold lights besides it and it looks very unique.

I would, however, be interested in getting another one (Silver) if we could put together a group buy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the beam pattern of Barbarin's light just like it is, for underwater use.
Hey Free, have you tried out that light's underwater capability yet? (pool, tub, commode etc.)

Free

Enlightened

No water test yet. Since I didn't purchase it for that purpose, it is not something that I am really concerned about. From the design and construction of it, I have little doubt that it will live up to its specifications.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Free said:
You are going to love the DragonLed. The Dragon HID is pretty neat too (I need to start another thread), but I like the LED the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If Javier make something like M6 3 x 3PR, I'm sure that'd be my third lights from Javier.

Javier, what do you think:)

Alan

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think every serious flashlight manufacturer look closely at Don's pages.
I really like that mod, but I don't like 123 batteries, snice they do cost arround 8 US$ each one in Spain.
What do you find most interesting on that mod?
Size?
Narrow beam?
HAIII?
123 batteries?
Regulation?

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: Dragon 9W Tri LED Dive Light (Pictures Include

Subject Title Restored

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Dragon 9W Tri LED Dive Light (Pictures Include

Thanks Empath! It seems a certain gent *likes* to change the subject in a few of these threads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Did I mention that this is a nice looking light!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Free

Enlightened
Dragon 9W Tri LED Dive Light (Pictures Included)

[ QUOTE ]
barbarin said:
I think every serious flashlight manufacturer look closely at Don's pages.
I really like that mod, but I don't like 123 batteries, snice they do cost arround 8 US$ each one in Spain.
What do you find most interesting on that mod?
Size?
Narrow beam?
HAIII?
123 batteries?
Regulation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the M6, and it is a great light, and if I someone would sell me a module to make it a LED light, I would convert it in a second. But here are some reasons why the Dragon is better:

1. Uses common C cell batteries.
I have no problem buying 123's and they are rather cheap here in the US now, but you still can't walk into any local hardware store and buy them as easily as C cells. If the light was significantly more powerful or had a longer run time, it would be something to consider, but until then, the Dragon is more practical.

2. Water Tight.
I don't know how water tight the M6 is, but I would be willing to bet that the Dragon is superior in this regard.

3. Purty Colors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. Easily fits in your back pocket.
The M6 is too fat to comfortably fit in your back pocket, but the Dragon slides right in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The M6 does have a push button tail cap and that is neat, but not quite as necessary with a long running LED light. Certainly a tactical advantage though!

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dragon 9W Tri LED Dive Light (Pictures Included)

RE: 123's vrs C's- Is there a standard size PVC pipe that could be used to convert the dragon to 123's? Could it stand being driven by 5X123? Does anyone have the measuremnts of these bats handy?