Building Luxeon-based bike light

Zazz

Newly Enlightened
Hello all—

I have been lurking on and off for a while and have found many (actually most) of the discussions to be helpful and friendly. This is my first post, but I feel I owe thanks to all CPF members for the help I've gotten just from reading other people's threads. My first step "into the light" has been to order a Madmax lite 1W sandwich with a Kroll and mineral lens for a general-purpose light. Working up to this involved a LOT of reading and figuring, and I expect to receive it later this week.

This all started, however, when I found CPF while looking for information on bike lights. I currently have a 20W halogen system running off of a 12V SLA battery. I am interested in putting together a smaller, lighter system using two 3W Luxeons running off of rechargeable NiMH AAs. My knowledge of electronics is spotty, so please forgive any errors.

I am contemplating a simple system of 2 Lux III emitters in series, direct driven by 6 rechargeable NiMH AAs in the 2000 mAh range. I would mount the emitters on a cut-down aluminum CPU heatsink, with either the 30mm optics or the 3W reflectors sold on Elektrolumens's site. I think that the LEDs would not be driven too hard by this setup.

I am aiming for a 1- to 2-hour runtime in the most economical way--this is why I am avoiding the use of a circuit board (also to simplify assembly). I know that a current or voltage-regulating circuit would be the preferred way to go, but I would like some feedback from the cognoscenti.

Does the above seem like a feasible design? I would expect from what I have read that the discharge curve for the AAs would be fairly flat for the time that I will be using it (<1 hour). I ride my bike for exercise several times a week early in the morning, before sunrise, and will probably do some night riding this summer as well. Runtime of more than 2 hours is not needed now.

An alternative would be to use a single 5W Luxeon, also direct drive, from 4 or 6 AAs. People seem to like the Lux IIIs for this type of application, however, and they are cheaper—though it evens out with the simplicity of the single emitter and need for only 1 reflector.

Any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux III = capable of nice narrow beam in a medium size
Lux V = a wider flood beam compared to Lux III in the same size reflector

Depends on your needs of wide beam or narrow beam, choose your LEDs accordingly.

Zazz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Nerd. Found your bike light pic yesterday. That's an impressive emitter array! I am currently puzzling over optics etc., but I think I have settled on two 3-watters—at present they are more available than the 5-watters anyway. I am coming along on figuring out the electronics and may have to end up using a Badboy instead of direct drive. I may have to ask about these issues in the Sandwich Shoppe and/or Elektrolumens forum, since there have been some bicycle lighting-related discussions there (and since I'll likely order parts from one or both of those places as well).

Thanks again for the help.

Flatscan

Enlightened
Hi Zazz, welcome to CPF.

Twin 5 watt Bike Light.....No Show, . . .Just Tell (Orion, 2 5W)

Couldn't wait for the Cateye Luxeon... (Sprout, 1 1W)

5W Luxeon Cateye mod. 1st try (Pinter, 1 5W)

Luxeon bicycle headlight mod (Flatscan, 2 3W, more pics going up today)

Newbie Advice - Bike Light (FrogBoy's general discussion thread, settled on 2 1W)

Newbie - Which Board? (FrogBoy's electronics discussion thread) I see you've found this one already.

I just finished my Road Toad mod, so I should have jumped in here earlier, but I don't know diddly about direct-drive. Since you're thinking about a BadBoy, I'll throw out a few ideas to start you, and the thread links should yield more information.
<ul type="square">[*]4AA 2300mAh NiMHs driving 2 Lux 3s in series should get nearly 2 hours on a BB500 and around 3 on a BB400.
[*]The BB500 setup (the one I built with 2 TV1Js) produces non-trivial heat, getting very warm in 5 minutes while heatsinked, but without airflow.
[*]You need some sort of over-discharge protection for your batteries if running a BB, which could possibly run one to cell-reversal without dropping out of regulation.[/list]

kd9uu

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking about dead lithium-ion laptop batteries, not all cells croak at once. I've opened Dell batteries and find 2-3 3.8V cells in spot-welded parallel, then banks of those in series. Locate still-good cells or banks and you could direct-drive a Lux III essentially for free [if you can heatsink them well enough]. DEAD or limping laptop batteries abound on ebay, I get mine free from a repair-shop; they are happy to see them disappear. I leave the li-ion charging issues to the propeller-heads, I'd probably guts it with a resistor, LM-317, and wall-wart 8)

Zazz

Newly Enlightened
Flatscan,
Thanks, that is all invaluable info. I think the Badboy will be the way to go. I have visions of ruining the little board--one of the reasons that DD was attractive to me. However, the over-discharge protection is beyond my capabilities, though I will be looking into it. This may take a while...

kd9uu,
That is a good idea, some time ago I had considered that approach for powering a halogen light. For a luxeon-based light I've pretty much settled on NiMH AAs with a decent smart charger,since they are so versatile for other lights and devices. I can consider that part of the equation solved, and I have little desire (and less aptitude) for wrestling with the charging issue.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
zazz...

check out my megamod webpages...

I used the Lux 3.. 3 of them in series... with the S017XA reflector... they are soo easy to combine... i actually glued the reflector on with silicone glue directly to the heat sink... and used arctic silver to glue down the emitters..

In any event... i'm stunned with the combo of the S017s and the Lx3... it makes an incredible beam perfect for outside... and 6W would be a great amount of light.

a quick bit 'o math shows your batt pack has 14.4WH... so if you need an hour of output... 13WH after converter loss.. running (2) lux 3s full-out is 7.4W so you'd get about 2 hours with about 160 lumen.

with the efficiency gained from LED vs. indandecent... you could anticipate about the brightness of 13W halogen... so you won't have the brightness of a 20W light... but my megamod SMOKES what it used to be (about 7W).

What you will gain other than the reliability is a WAY smoother, and much whiter light... i think you'll be awed as I was.

DD option.. hmmm... the math actually works out pretty favorably... depends a bit on the Vf of the emitters.. but you'd loose a fair amount of brightness as they dim.. the other problem is dealing with undervoltage... I introduced that problem into my own design and had to built a ckt so i wouldn't wreck my $100 batt packs.

(about $8 in parts from ®S)... my ckt is online in CPF.

The buck puck did me wonders.. but probably too close between your Vf and Vbatt for that to work.. but i absolutely LOVE the ability to dial-down the brightness to exactly what i need at the time.. makes my runtime go from like 6 hrs to many dozens (like 50-70).

Good luck you'll love making and using it.

-awr