MgLed and Hotplugs

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just soliciting some feedback & comments

I had been putting together some modded 2C and 3C Muglites and want to come up with some nice naming for things - probably heavily influenced through existing products related to CPF I came up with the following ideas

McLED™ - this is based on the combination of Mag and Led or Mag-Led or MagLed describing the use of a LED in a Mag body - but fearing Mags corporate punishment potential I think its better to leave all *Mag* out, as the Mc is at least when pronounced in german english pretty close to Mag I just a little while ago came up with this McLED™ thinggie when writing to my Led-Shop buddy about it ... now I realize that our very own McGizmo is also using all the Mcthis and Mcthats and I don´t want to step on Dons toes - but on the other side one can´t or shouldn´t claim the copyright to one or two characters as silly Intel once tried .... using MugLed crossed my mind too though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hotplug™ for a heatsink plugging inside the aluminum tube as opposed to the well-known "lipped" hotlips - actually this is based on the original design / concept of our very own Rothrandir and I would just be using his ideas / concepts as others did too - as the LED gets hot and the heatsink plugs into the tube the HOT and PLUG put together to HOTPLUGS ™ makes sense IMO

Any feedback / comment / flame / applause appreciated

Klaus

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: McLed™ and Hotplugs™

hmm
i prefer mugled better, and hotplug sounds too much like hotbeam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
maybe hotroth? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

edit:

btw, would this naming applies to your lights only or lights modded in general? if this naming only applies to your lights only, i guess it is up to you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
if this should apply to lights in general, i guess it depend to each person /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
me for instance, naming my light with helen, rosie, bertrum, ticcum, etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic

Personally, I would avoid any possible chance of resemblance, just to avoid claims and accusions about "lack of fantasy" or "wanting to hitch a ride" , or anything else... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I like MugLed.

I don't know about the other one. How about RothSink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

when I see Mc-something I immediately think McGizmo. "Copyright" aside, this could be misleading as I think I am not the only one who gets this impression on "Mc-names".
bernhard

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to add something. What're all these tm thingie? I don't think we need another tm. Firstly, the hotlips design is made by roth and by roth only and he MADE the design public, i mean the idea, not the THAT particular thing and i don't think it is really an ethical thing to do to start tm-ing things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif (btw, he created not only hotlips, but also non-lipped sink).
But, as others may well know, he also gets his idea from other modders here, so it is really appropriate to make the idea general and available in public. Therefore, i don't think anyone should try to patent the thing (tm-ing).

one more thing, i don't think Mcgizmo ever try to claim the copyright using the Mc thingie (and i believe many others will agree), it is just your assumption /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif . Notice, he NEVER puts tm in his light naming, which is a good example of open-ness CPF environment IMHO.

again, i think naming your lights is your own discretion. Other may rename charlie's VIP, for example, as other name distant from VIP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shiftd - the ™ thinggie is just for shits´n´giggles - just fun - not serious, really - you might have seen some posts from me lately where I put it on pretty much everything and its dog too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

you should have said that earlier.
i was thinking something serious en all !!!!

another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif for you lol
why? "just because i like doing it" -roth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I don't know if my opinion means anything... after all I only own one Elektrolumens product, one Milkyspit product, and one Sandwich Shoppe product.

No Mc anything....

However I will ALWAYS think of McGizmo when on COF I see ANYTHING named Mc****.

Mugled sounds better, and Hotplug just sounds HOT!

Nevermind, I don't know nothing.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

names are a tricky thing here.

naming modded lights has always been a weird issue for me.
i suppose a lights' gotta have a name, but once you give it a name (lets take the spaceneedle for example), some people start using the name for something that is totally different.

for products like the cnc 123, mclux, hotlips, etc. naming is a good thing, because these products are something that most people aren't going to duplicate.
with names like the spaceneedle, someone could take a maglite, hotlips heatsink, and put it together, but that doesn't make it a "space needle", or even a space needle clone.

basically, what i do when i do a mod:
if the mod is so origional or complex or "special" that it's not likely to ever be duplicated by anyone else, i'll come up with a name for it ("the informer", the "modulight", the "d-lux", r52 tailcap, etc, etc etc.)
when i do a simple mod (maglite, mclux, anything that could or would be duplicated, or has already been done, or is using parts available from someone else (as in the mclux example) i simply call "mag mod", or "mclux pr", or something of that nature.
naming of the specific mod should be a combonation of the general name, and the name of whoever modded it.

if it were up to me, everything would be like this.
if you were to buy something from a certain person, it would be: "mcgizmo mclux pr", a "mr bulk mag mod", a "jets22 arc grey mod", "rothrandir maxabeam mod".
the only things that would get the special names would be the parts themselves "cnc 123, hotlips"

confused yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

basically, if you designed it and noone else will likely ever do the same thing, then feel free to name it.
if it's something that's already been done before (mag mod, mclux, brinkmann 3aa, etc), then you should call it a "slick brinkmann 3aa mod", or "mcgizmo mclux pr"

at least that's how i think things should be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I think most important in a name for many of these lights and components as well as mods is strictly the means of identifying what the heck it is. When you save an image or a dwg, you need to identify it with a name. Same is true when two or more people want to communicate about the item. I have tried to name parts and mods with letters that have some type of significance in terms of identification; sort of like a meaningful part number. I know the stuff is greek to an outsider but hopefully it may have meaning to someone who is familiar with the stuff. For instance a L1-PR-T-N-BB750-TW0J identifies more for me than a flashlight named Sue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If someone asked me what that was in my hand, I wouldn't answer with the L1-PR..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I have two lignts I am working on right now that I have named Alpha1 and Alpha3. I need directories and file names for the SolidWork drawings as well as getting quotes from machine shops.

Seems to me that a name needs to provide a unique identification and beyond that it can either make sense in indicating what it is or it can be a catchy and memorable name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I certainly have no right to claim Mc xxx as my private domain! Someone told me that McDonalds was known to sue any firm adding a Mc to any product or names. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I do think at this point, there would be some confusion to associating Mc with MAG though?!?!? Of course I didn't even associate Led with LED. I would have *read* a more descriptive name if it had been MgLED. Call it what you want! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If it's a misleading name, folks will be misled. Simple I think.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I have two lignts I am working on right now that I have named Alpha1 and Alpha3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don, is that a feeler? No fair! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif
you always do this to us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

shiftd,

It was just a dang example! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif They could easily be named Vapor1 and Vapor3 infact I like those names! Uh yeah, comming soon.......... Vapor1™ and Vapor3™ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

tsk tsk

Mcgizzy!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif

ok, i reserve my place for the vapor2 please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thx guys for chimming in, especially Jim and Don,

and I didn´t thought about the insulting nature of associating crapMag with the Gizmoid ™ Mc thinggie - my deepest apologies and I truly deserve some /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

So I think its MugLED or MgLED then - I actually do like that MgLED™ - thx Don for inspiration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Still like that Hotplugs thing and no objections from "the man" Roth ? I thinks its enough different from the known ones actually to NOT start any confusion actually.

Later

Klaus

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why don't you just name it "Trudie"? OR-How about a number naming system denoting the # of Battery cells and the output in lumens? 3D-670 has a nice ring to it. No?

Show us the mod pics, the stats and the beams and we'll name it for you. Your names are just too dangerous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MgLED and Hotplugs

Thx Wim - just another unregulated PR2LS plug-in, hmmh, I´m pretty much sold on MgLED anyway - but thx for pointing out.

Klaus

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

what are you gonna patent anyway, klaus?

lets hope this is not another "hey, i change the bulb/lens/head" wannabe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
seriously, pic will help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shiftd - nonono - just plain fun™ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you read back in waaaaayyyyy old posts from me you´ll see I already then used make-fun-of-TM ™s for stuff like my almost 3 year old original Lightsaber™ 35W IRC 12/24AA 1000+ lumens 50USD DIY kit thinggie which probably was one of the first Hotwire MugMods on this forum. I see things similar to how Don lately so nicely put in words I never could paraphrase as nicely - its a community and only works if you give and take - so just from that persepctive TM-ing something is not my style anyway.

On this MgLED and Hotplug thing its just that I like naming things - the Mods I had been doing lately where just plain old boring 2C/3C Mag mods I had been doing for friends and family as I have access to some nice emitters lately and when people saw my own 3D/3Cin2D 3W mods they were like OMG.

I looked for cheap 2C/3C mughosts as those are pretty expensive in europe normally to have parts for the 1.st European CPF get-together, having found some reasonable priced ones I also put some together in various flavours like with and without circuits and such - (2C with TVOJs and MM+WOs and 3C with TXOKs DD-ed) - now I *might* offer one or the other on CPF as time&fun permits - but besides the ones finished I have no desire to continue down this road as I *should* be spending my time on other things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As I´m using modified Roth™-inspired pedestaled heatsinks and the ubiquitos OAC/Ds like Howard is naming the hosts I just wanted SOMETHING short and mnemonic-wise easy for them.

Hey - no malicious intentions one way or the other™ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Klaus