Mom's a Boyz II Men Groupie

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mom\'s a Boyz II Men Groupie

While I tell this story, try to envision my 83 year old caucasian mother. She knows nothing about today's music and could never name a single contemporary singer.

Last year, she was seeing her doctor for a regular visit. He happens to have some famous clients dead and alive. One was Bob Hope and another was the wife of one of the singers in Boyz II Men. During this visit, Mom was sitting in the lobby and struck up a conversation with this singer who was there with his wife for fertility problems.

The guy took a liking to her and she was telling her story about how she needed some assisted-living stuff in her house and how expensive it was (Mom has plenty of money, BTW). The guy disappeared into the exam room where is wife was and came out, asked Mom how she spelled her last name and disappeared again.

He and his wife left the doctor's office and said goodbye. The receptionist called Mom over and handed her an envelope. Inside was a check for $2,000!

My mother was floored and in true Bostonian fashion wrote a thank you note. She is now invited to all of the Boyz II Men family functions. The kids call her "Mamma" or something like that.

This weekend, she's going to Martin Lawrence's house for a birthday party for a small group (30) of this singer's family. It's unbelievable. She got bouquets of flowers on Mothers Day from these recording stars.

My sister, who drives her to these functions, says that she's never seen such beautiful people as she sees at these affairs.

Oh well, I guess that I'll have to watch E! to get the latest on my Mom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Marty