E2D Beam... what an improvement!

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I generally don't get excited about hotwires in general, but I got an E2D recently and I'm really Jazzed about the beam on this thing. I haven't had the opportunity to try it outside at night yet, but comparing to my other E2e's, I like the pattern so much better (other than the pattern the bezel creates in the corona).

Does anyone know if they changed the reflector, or is it just the domed lens that helps out? I may have to put one of these heads on my black E1e.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Beretta1526 said:

I generally don't get excited about hotwires in general...

[/ QUOTE ] Huh?

Martin, describe the E2d beam vs E2e. More flood, less, throw?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
The top of the lens is convex, but is the bottom of the lens also bent in the same direction? Is the lens's thickness uniform? Because if the middle of the lens is thicker than the sides, it will cause magnification and more throw. I replaced the lens on my E2e with a 22mm magnifying glass and it made the throw a lot better.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to take pics, but it's a larger hotspot. I think it may even have a little better throw as well, but I need to be outside in the dark to confirm it. Obviously it's using the same bulb, but I'm wondering if the reflector has been changed as well to allow a different positioning of the bulb.

juancho

Enlightened
FNinjaP90,
Please tell me what magnification you used, I have two loupes of about 22 mm that I could try, one is 4x the other 10x
before disassembly of the loupes I will like to know more of your experience and what you used.
Juan C

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
I actually have no idea what type of magnification I used. I just searched for 22mm magnification on yahoo and got a Chinese provider. They sent me a sample for free. I'd say it changed the beam from like 20 degrees to maybe 13 and made it a lot brighter. The lens had a green tint and wasn't as clear as the stock lens, but it did give better throw.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... beamshots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif This adds even more anticipation to the arrival of my E2D.

-Mike

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2D was a real let down. The beam is not as tight focus as my E2e and I could see a little bit (just a little) of shadow in the centre of the beam when I projected it on the wall. This is not typical of SF incandescent beam quality. Such a disappointment.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add, I know some of you may ask how far I shined this light. It is about 2 meters onto the wall. My E2e does not have such a beam.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never excited about the E2d, just a gimmick.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
the tailcap guys ... it's the tailcap we want. And the black HAIII body for the McLux heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and btw ... could we get some beamshots of the good and not so good beams so that we might see and judge?

bernhard

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:
My E2D was a real let down. The beam is not as tight focus as my E2e and I could see a little bit (just a little) of shadow in the centre of the beam when I projected it on the wall. This is not typical of SF incandescent beam quality. Such a disappointment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... mine has a luxeon 5W type doughnut hole.

Rich

albert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... mine has a luxeon 5W type doughnut hole.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too... a doughnut hole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must be suffering from "Recovery from Flashaholism". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

I go in this afternoon, money in my pocket, to buy an E2D from the local army-navy surplus store that has a couple in stock at a decent price.

I flash both of them up at the ceiling, and what do I see but a faint donut beam from both lights, and from one of them a dragon shaped shadowy blob off to the side of the hotspot that looked like it must be a defect in the reflector (no problem with the lens). The other light also had several small shadowy artifacts around the hotspot that didn't appear to be related to the lens. Both lights were from brand new factory-sealed boxes.

I walked out of that store with that money in my pocket. Man I can't believe it. This is serious./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the donut, but around 5'-6', it disappears in a bath of white. Even at 4', it's not really noticable unless shown on a white surface. I rarely (if ever) use 65 Lumens at such a close distance.

In this case, the donut indicates that the focus is further out than a standard E series (ie: MORE THROW, larger hotspot). I haven't had the chance to check out the results outside, but from 35' in the house, the hotspot on my E2D is larger and brighter than ANY of my E2e's.

If you should have a defect in the reflector, you should be calling SF CS.

Undark

Newly Enlightened
I second the thought about the focus being further out!
My E2d has the donut only if you shine it on a white wall
from close distance (about 0.5 meters)
on longer distances the beam is completely ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
While I noticed the donut shape with the MN03 it seems to disappear with the MN02 - maybe due to the different filaments size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
The white wall tests were always producing very different results than real life useage, the best example were the nondimpled Turboheads. While they produce a horrible beam with artifacts on white walls they are throwing the tiny photons wonderful far in a single line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif