good weapon for protection?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it is geting very bad around here and when i walk at night im a tad worried about my safety i know most will say dont walk at night but its less hot at night and well im a flashohoic .im a pretty small guy around 5,4 and 140 lbs now.i would rather avoid a problem but someday that may not be a option. i dont care for guns. but i do belive people have the right to own one.there just not for me

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just carry a Surefire and hit em with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
a bright light can be a good first step (got any of those? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

weapons are generally something that should best be unused for legal reasons.

i'd suggest a largish maglite mod, so that if you did need to beat someone with it, you could just say that it's what you had in your hand when attacked.

of course carrying a knife in your pocket is always a good thing to do, no matter where you are or what the reasons.
i'd avoid using it in a fight at all costs, but if it really came down to it, it's there. (but use the maglite first ok? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id suggest some Fox 5.3 Spray and a bright light. Keepin your mind on track always helps too.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to a good knife (I carry one everywhere but would only use one for self defense as a last resort), I'd suggest a 6D Maglite for self defense purpose. Carry other smaller lights for actual light, but the 6D Mag packs quite a punch. In fact, you might want to consider going to a softball batting cage and practicing your swing with a bat.

I'd say first line of defense would be blinding them with a Surefire (or similarly bright light) while backing away, if that doesn't work, beat them with a Maglite, if that doesn't work, stick them with your knife. My first choice would always be to run like hell though. Anytime you stick around to fight or defend yourself, you're very likely to get messed up yourself, even if you win. Pepper spray is always an option too.

-Keith

raggie33

*the raggedier*
see what ya have to understand i live in a very messed up town . drugs are bad here . ive seen things that still amaze me and i doubt a flashlight will phaze thease morons.im starting to think just staying in my yard after dusk is best.

14C

Enlightened
Whatever you choose you need to be trained to use.

IF you decide to carry any weapon you need to be able to use it effectively. You also should understand the ramifications of using it.

You have to be competant and you have to be sure. Then if you have to defend yourself you have to deal with the consequences which could range from guilt to prosecution.

I am not trying to discourage you. I believe everyone has a right and a responsibility to be able and capable of self-defense.

In this day and age you can be at the mercy of a skewed legal system if you defend yourself. Also many people are not prepared for the physical and psychological effects of violence done to them or violence they might HAVE to do to others in order to protect themselves or the ones they love.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the above and include some combatives trainning, but better to avoid situations that put you at risk.

Alex

tadbik

Enlightened
This looks good:

http://www.guardian-angel.com/
961071033105_0_ALB.jpg

No it's not something for the kids to use in the pool!

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang Raggie all of the good suggestions have been aired but in all seriousness if your in good physical condition I recommend a pair of good inexpensive running shoes to give you an advantage in keeping out of problems. The Magclub in 5 or 6 D-cells makes quite an impression on a persons noggin that will be hard to ignore and then the Magclub will finally be a useful tool. The courts have found that ANY pointed object can be used as a weapon and convicted several people for possession of a deadly weapon, let them try to prove you were going to stab someone with a Magclub.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie,

Your brains come first, your legs come second. And smokinbasser is right, choose something that's NOT normally considered a weapon. For being out at night, a flashlight of any size will be hard for anyone to argue that it wasn't for light. Might want to put a strap on it, don't want it getting taken from you and used to thump you.

If you decide to consider different (possibly lethal) alternatives, be sure to get the proper permits and training.

There are no simple answers as there is much to consider.

Mike

Phil_B

Enlightened
We don't have your options here in the UK(only criminals can have handguns here).
Best thing is to play "what if" the whole time.As in,what if someone's in that dark doorway?,what if I cross the road here,would it be safer? etc etc.
I carry a Magclub(5 D) when I do security at bike events.Take it out when you are under threat,choke the head with your right hand and lay the tube on your shoulder.You can shine it in the threats face and it is in a good deployable position,and cannot be grabbed.
Maintain a distance,and keep moving around your assailant.
Talk to them,do not threaten them,let them "read" your confidence.
If the opportunity arises and they show no knife,run,but run TOWARDS them. This means they must turn to chase and buys time.
If you produce a knife,it will most likely up the tension,and possibly be used on YOU! Don't is my advice. I carry but don't show.
All this applies in the UK,but in the US?...
Hope you never need this Raggie

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie,
First, it doesn't make sense to me that one should put himself in a position where the likelihood of either being mugged or having to shoot someone is high.

You might prefer to walk at night when it is cool, but it will be a small matter if and when you are assaulted, regardless of the outcome. I agree that you have a right to walk at night, and should be able to walk anywhere you desire. However, there is an element of common sense, which dictates that you not increase the risk of danger to yourself for the convenience of walking in a dangerous place at a dangerous time. I would, and do insure that I do not unnecessarily place myself or others in a risky situation. Our society, and the law make it difficult to dissuade the thug in advance of his crime. The law will attempt to catch him, but it may be too late for you. You are essentially on your own.

I personally believe, that regardless of where I live and walk there are always those who wish to rob or harm others. I determined many years ago that I will not be a victim, or at least an easy one.
It may be impossible for you to get a license to carry a firearm. If you can do so, you might want to go through the necessary training and get a weapon to carry. Even then, however, retreat is always the best option if it is reasonably possible.

I would not, even when carrying a firearm, go where I thought the odds were relatively high of having to use it if I could avoid it.
Each individual must make that decision for himself, and weigh the consequences of his actions.

Good CS spray is an option, but the wind direction and other factors may make it relatively ineffective, and especially if you do not have the best and also know something about its use. Fox is among the best, and very effective, but it is necessary to understand its use, and to make sure it does not disable you also when you use it.

I doubt that anything less than a firearm is going to be very effective considering your size and lack of training. Knife combat requires much training.

Use your head, and as has been said, that is your most effective defense. In using it, DO NOT unnecessarily expose yourself to danger. Find another place or time to walk.

Jerry

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your neighborhood is so dangerous, it's hard not to just urge you not to walk at night. On the other hand, you're a big boy, and it's your decision -- if you choose not to be held prisoner in your place by a bunch of scumbags, well, my hat's off to you (me, I'd choose not to walk at night).

So assuming I can't talk you out of it, I'd suggest carrying a few things. I'd also say that someone who is 140 pounds and untrained really needs a hell of a lot of "equalizer".

I'd suggest you carry two things that can be deployed and used effectively in close quarters, in case you're jumped or otherwise ambushed. For me, a bare minimum would be a good knife and a Stinger . Both can be used effectively in close, and if you have both on you, you can choose the force level more carefully, if you're lucky enough to be able to think that quickly.

I'd also suggest something that can be used farther out. Some good options include Fox OC spray and the Tigerlight. A big Maglite, if you're really willing to hump it around, is a fine choice. I strongly suggest the 6C version over the 6D. 6D is way too slow to bring around, and the wider barrel is much more difficult to keep hold of. The 6C version has plenty of stopping power.

Joe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Im working on moveing.i just dont know where.im a night person.kinda bothers me them idiots get away with what they do. sometimes i bring one of my dogs but. well i know there protective of my property but im not sure if they would understand harm comeing to me.i think the bigest problem is i live a block from the projects here and this street i live on apears to be a path they take from projects to go places.most people id say in projects are good people but they few bad aplles realy mess things up

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Taking a dog along is more about the perception that it is vicious to the bad guys. Assuming it isn't a little poodle or terrier or some other little toy dog, the bad guy won't know that it might not bite him, and pick an easier target. Our 100 lb Newfoundland, Thor, is the most gentle dog we've ever owned, but he's big, black and is very loud when he barks. We used to live in the city in a relatively bad part of town, and when I was walking Thor, nobody thought twice about messing with me (us). If you don't have a medium to large size dog, get one. It sounds like you like animals anyways.

The Tigerlight with OC spray sounds like a very good option for you. Use the light to blind them at a distance, if they get closer use the spray on them, if they come within arms length, whack them with it. Every bit as effective as a D-cell Maglite in the thwacking department.

-Keith