Another bad computer scare....

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My hard drive is sending me loud and clear messages...

It wouldn't come alive from idle again. I have all that stuff turned off.

It took a cold boot (let it rest at least 20 minutes) and a full Scan Disk.

I'll be shutting it down from here on out...

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the hdd. The scandisk was just because windows does it.
Try checking the power manglement settings in both windows and the bios setup program, sometimes they conflict with each other.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
My older 1.8 ghz p4 will not boot up every time
the hard drive doesent always spin up.
I think it is the power supply
it works fine and is stable once it is booted up
it is a little 250 watt supply ( maybe 300 wat--maybe 200 watt )
and it is 4 years old
but so is the hard drive
it has a 48x dvd rom-- 32x cd recorder--sound blaster audigy sound card
geforce 3 ti 500 video-- firewire 800 card-- usb 2.0 card eithernet card--256 mb 400 mhz rambuss-- 60 gig drive.

so maybe the power supply is a little taxed

I usually use my faster computer
the 1.8 gets the old components when I upgrade my faster computer

Mark D.

Starlight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Eugene said:

Try checking the power manglement settings in both windows and the bios setup program, sometimes they conflict with each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that is your problem. You have obviously mangled your power.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I just found that it poered my HD down at 30 minutes of no activity.

I disabled it.

BUT! What started this scare was that when I tried to do something upon turning on the moniter, the HD light never went out. And Everything was frozen.

And this ain't the first time!!!

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its still a power manglement issue (misspelling intentional as this is a common term among us computer guys, say for example "middle manglement mangled that project again"). There were some hard drives a while back that had a firmware that would power them down and ignore what the computer told it to do. The maker gave in a released a flash upgrade that fixed the issue. I have an old pc sitting upstairs that locks up the same way. I ended up disableing the power manglement in the BIOS setup and just leaving it run all the time.
Interesting note somewhat on the subject. There was an ad before the start of the movie I watched tonight asking how much power would be saved if everyone in America unplugged all their TV's. For those that don't know the picture tube in a TV has a small heater in it (any other vacuum tube does as also) Years ago you had to replace TV's every few years until the tube designers found that keeping the heater powered up at all times extended the life of the tube many times. After a couple other ads they came back with the answer of something huge like 8 billion watts but what they fail to realize is how much power would be wasted replacing tv sets every 3-4 years instead of every 10-15 years(my magnavox from back when they were still US made still looks great for example). I've learned that shutting off pc's causes more problems that leaving them run all the time so I've switched to running laptops and other lower power pc's so I can justify leaving them on all the time. If you buy a PC with a slower processor you can save a bit of power and also save enough money to buy more ram (and windows handles ram very poorly so the more the better) and have a faster pc than someone with bragging rights to a faster cpu.

Anyway, my point was that you don't need to be scared, your hard drive isn't failing you just have a pc with bad power manglement. The old box I have upstairs has ran for 4-5 years that way (Pentium 166) and has the original hard drive.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the PC is sitting idle why not have the HDD stop spinning? I had mine set for 10 min. shut down with no probs. Recently I upped that to 30 min. shut down thinking it might speed things up as I'm on and off of the PC sometimes.

I've had no problems either way so why not save the HDD bearings? Or is it that the HDD mechanism stays centered while spinning and wears out more when coming up to speed?

Thanks.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
PBJS
yes spining up and coming to operating temp is where most wear occurs in mechanical devices initating movement is stressful.
Chris

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Sleep wasn't a whole lot better last night!

Not sure why.

Anyhow, the 'puter woke up just peachy. However I think the Monday morning crush kept me from doing Web or Email earlier (at work now).

We'll see.............