Anyone tried an IMS S027XA in a McLux PR head?

bald1

Enlightened
The Pelican reflector is 27.5mm if I'm not mistaken which is the same spec given for the IMS S027XA reflector's diameter. I don't know about depth though.

I wonder if there is any advantage to the S027XA over the Pelican? Beam angle, etc.

Thought?

--Bob

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bob,

The IMS reflector has a bit of a larger hotspot than the PR. Whether you consider this to be a good thing depends on what you want to use the light for. The PR has more throw, but the IMS is more practical at shorter distances. The IMS is also a bit longer.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Actually I just received a sample of the LATEST version of the 27.5mm IMS reflector (the final design they will be shipping to Future) and there are a few subtle differences that cause it to now pretty much clone the PR's beam. I hopt to get beamshots up later (hey, it's Dad's Day, ya know)...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The samples I have checked out are pretty similar to the PR reflector with two obvious differences. The IMS is a bit deeper so the spill angle is a bit tighter. The IMS is very smooth so the projected image is a bit sharper and in fact almost has a square perimiter at some distances, or so I saw with my samples. It is too deep by about .080" or so to be viable, as is, in a PR head. I think the best host for evaluation is a Pelican M6 with McModule. The stock Pelican M6 LED light has too large of a diameter on the LED's pedestal for the IMS reflector to digest without some modification. I don't know what version of samples I received but I too consider a strong parity between the PR and IMS 27.5. I have a new case of PR style reflectors from a new vendor that I will have to break into pretty soon but I don't figure on much difference with them in comparison either.

bald1

Enlightened
Thanks for the sanity checks Tony, Mr. Bulk and Don. I was just curious as I have a built PR inbound and have a S027XA on hand as well.

Best as always!

--Bob

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know... there's a saying... "A picture speaks a thousand words".... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
All in all, I do have to say that I like the IMS reflectors. If you've done any work with the PRs, you know that they are delicate to the point of being able to scratch them trying to remove lint with a lens brush. On the other hand, the IMS reflectors are much more forgiving. Not only that, but you don't have to worry about the IMS reflector shorting anything out.

Did I mention that they are easy to work with? I did a load of the SO17XA's for the VIP and other lights. I turned them in a lathe, but that's because I had one. You could modify these things with nail clippers if needed. I think that these reflectors are what we've been looking for.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yepp.
and the beam (the beam of the so17xa) is such a nice medium flood ... in such a small package ... I am ini heaven.
No need for me to look any further.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

bald1

Enlightened
With both my Longbows and my McLux EN original style head wearing S017XAs, I can also attest to just how great they are. I am very very well pleased with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Highly recommended to anyone (doubtful, but...) who might be on the fence.

--Bob