A Day At The Races....

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
As some of you might now, I love to race when I can. I recently just got this, a chinese inmitation of the real European mades. Known as a mini-moto or pocket bike. I hope to get an Italian bike in the future, I got the chinese bike to get me started in the sport. European bikes range from $2000-$5000 dollars and are in the 4-15hp range. Entry level European bikes are 2.5hp. My chinese bike called a cag (short for Cagllari or Daytona) is just under 3hp and costs $300. I was clocked at 29.7mph on my cag using GPS. A European bike can easily do 50mph+ with the right mods.

Since I'm against riding these things in the street I set out to find some local tracks to ride at. I found that yesturday was race 2 of this season for an organization known as Socal Mini Grand Prix. More info found at scminigp.com . Of course I had to attend.

I'm posting this because I had a blast last night and am happy I have found my new hobby. Mini-moto riders are great people, very helpful, and don't look down on you if you have a cheap chinese knock-off. Much like CPF'rs. Yes my new hobby is at fault for me spending less time here but you can't get rid of me that easily. I've been hooked on flashlights for a long time now and I'm not going anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

12:30-2:30p - We had a great BBQ. I'll never forget that. Had a blast meeting other riders and socializing. We also got to watch radio control dragsters during that time. They were holding their season finals.

3:00-5:00p - After some time to digest our food, we got a 2hrs to run some practice laps. This was my first time on a track and I was nervous. I went out and found that I rode pretty good compared to other "regulars". On the straights only a few in my class of bikes could keep up with me (you didn't expect my bike to be stock now did you?).
I biffed a couple times, nothing major, mainly because I kept pushing my bike harder and harder through the turns. Later on some little girl came and bumped me on the side out of no where, my bike got messed up pretty good, I first hit the floor scraping my left knee bad, then flipped around hitting my shoulder on the ground, and then hit my helmet on the back. Yeah, I biffed hard and it probably looked funny how I flipped. I'm still mad about that cause the little girl was seriously a road hazard, cause me and my bike to get injured bad and all she did was turn around to look back at me and kept going, not even a sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif She's lucky she was young and a female, otherwise..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

5:30p - Races start. As I was putting my bike back in riding order and patching up my injuries, they were holding the line up for my class. I got to the meeting late so I was placed dead last on the starting grid out of 15 riders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif Finally my class was up, 12 laps to race and I'm still mad at that girl and having to start last behind the other 14 riders. I placed 4th! Alright I'm onto the finals.

My final comes up. I start right behind pole position. 12 laps again. I got pushed back to 5th or 6th place during the race but I ended up finishing 2nd place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif Man was I surprised!

I had fun even though all I feel is pain this very moment. I'm definitely attending the race every month from now on. Those who would like to get into the sport, I very much recommend it. Yes the bikes are very small and no the bikes aren't that hard to ride. They might look like for kids but they very much are for adults. There were guys who were close to 6 ft. and others who were in their fourties.

Me on the left after I got awarded second place in my class. By that time I was drunk to help ease the pain, LOL. 2nd place and my first race, I'm still stoked.
2nd_place.jpg

My certificate:
2nd_place_certificate.jpg

A Blata Elite 13, 40cc, estimated 13HP, water cooled, made in Czech. (What my bike is a copy of only my bike is 40cc, air cooled, and under 3hp)
elite13_left.jpg

Finally, my dream bike which I will get one day. GRC RR 40cc, 13hp (production models are 8hp), water cooled, made in Italy.
(a glimpse of my bike in the backround behind my car)
grc_rr_left.jpg

grc_rr_right1.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:
... I first hit the floor scraping my left knee bad, then flipped around hitting my shoulder on the ground, and then hit my helmet on the back....

[/ QUOTE ]

... and I told you to be careful... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
... first race, injured and second place... waaw... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Funny...

I watched big bikes do laps at Texas World Speedway today.

My rider buddy doesn't like his ride very much and finished 5th in class of 7, and 6th overall in about 20 bikes.

Several of these "Pocket" bikes were running around the pits. At least one sounded HEALTHY!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
icarus said:
... and I told you to be careful... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif
... first race, injured and second place... waaw... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, yes I know, I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

But it was not my fault really (sh*t happens all the time) and it was worth it. I was stupid to have not brought sliders or knee pads. Luckily someone let me borrow some for the actual race.

Can't wait till July 17. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Glad you did get hurt.
I once crashed kart racing and got both my arms hurt. Always get the right padding when racing these things...
The scars remind me now.
Congrats on your 2nd place BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
Wow! Glad you did get hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well gee, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
Congrats on your 2nd place BTW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you "for real". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on the second place finish. Now keep an eye out for that girl at the next meet and take her out early. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif It sounds like a fun hobby. I just saw one of these bikes going down the street two days ago here in NYC. Why are to against riding them on the street? Do you need a license to operate these things? BTW, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your certificate says July. It's still only June. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif