Supernova impressions

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got a Black Diamond Supernova in. First impressions:

The incan beam is very nice; very smooth for an incan. Not quite SF quality, but it's up there. Certainly not ringy like a Mag. Switching mechanism to use all 3 levels of incan and leds is easy to do.

For me, I was looking for a light that was regulated on all levels in both modes (a unique feature, if I'm not mistaken) and one that had differing power draws for the different levels that made sense. I used to have a Yukon HL and returned it for this reason. It's a good lamp, but, I mean, if the leds and 1W both draw the same current, why not always use the 1W and just adjust the flood/spot? That's just me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Anyway, some quick readings on power draw on the El Cheapo DMM (thanks again, Milky! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif):

Leds on lo/med/high - 40/80/130mA
Incan on lo/med/high - 160/230/320mA

That's about as linear as it gets, I'd say. And the light levels are pretty reflective of the increasing power. Even though it's only drawing 320mA on high, it is creating a goodly amount of light. More comments will be available after the sun sets around here. Lots of nice features in this setup, including the backup 6V battery for the leds.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your impressions. I ordered one of these and a Yukon HL but won't receive them for over a week. Your post is whetting my appetite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jerry