Arc4x 1-Cell vs 2-Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
arc-cell.jpg

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great chart T_I_N. Looks like it is a winner on a 2x123 configuration.

Curtis

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks. Both tests were performed without any external cooling. I'd expect both lights (especially the 2-cell) to perform even better if held in the hand to absorb some of the heat.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
I fail to see any major point of using two cells. Sure you double the run time, but at twice the consumed batteries. The time per battery is close to the same. All that you gain is a longer time between battery changes and then you change twice the number of batteries.

Nonetheless, the graph was interesting and appreciated.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if the light were run while held in the hand, you would maybe see runtime decline, but time at max brightness go up?

Great job as usual.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RayT said:
I fail to see any major point of using two cells. Sure you double the run time, but at twice the consumed batteries. The time per battery is close to the same. All that you gain is a longer time between battery changes and then you change twice the number of batteries.

[/ QUOTE ]

RayT, if you are away from batteries for a while, you would definitely want to take the 2 cell with you. Like if your lost in the woods for example.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BigHonu said:
So if the light were run while held in the hand, you would maybe see runtime decline, but time at max brightness go up?

Great job as usual.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, I'd expect to see a longer time of substained higher output. Don't forget how the Arc4 works. It's tempature regulated in the fact that it starts stepping down upon higher tempatures. Holding the light in the hand, especially with the 2-cell tube, makes for a much larger heat sink with your hand absorbing the heat. That would yield in cooler tube tempatures and cooler LED tempature, allowing the software to not want to step down the brightness due to heat.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
RayT said:

Nonetheless, the graph was interesting and appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see several reasons that I won't go into listing, however it's nice that it's possible if needed. The way the 2-cell Arc4 feels in your hand is awesome.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
[ QUOTE ]
RayT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

RayT, if you are away from batteries for a while, you would definitely want to take the 2 cell with you. Like if your lost in the woods for example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. For an EDC, I would not want the added size of 2-cells, however if I was consciously going somewhere where I know a light is required (camping, hiking, walk in the woods) the 2x123 is the way to go. It not only gives you the added runtime over 1-cell, but allows for a better grip.

RayT

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
[ QUOTE ]
RayT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. For an EDC, I would not want the added size of 2-cells, however if I was consciously going somewhere where I know a light is required (camping, hiking, walk in the woods) the 2x123 is the way to go. It not only gives you the added runtime over 1-cell, but allows for a better grip.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that sounds reasonable. When I go camping I generally take along a couple of extra batteries so run time is not an issue with me. I cannot speak for the holdability as I anxiously await my Arc4x and have yet to fondle an Arc4. I will have to take your word for the "feeling."

paulr

Flashaholic
It's pretty disappointing that the 2-cell config can still only run for 10 minutes or so at level 1. Is that a thermal cutout, so level 1 comes back after the light cools down?

oldeng95

Enlightened
is your Arc4x brighter than a stock L4??
the LS 5 is suppose to be around the same output, I figured the 4x is the same
thanks
PAUL

Miciobigio

Enlightened
Thanks TIN,

belive me or not , but i was thinking 2 days ago to ask for a comparision like that.

When my HDS_2x123 tube arrives in Italy i 'll do a test using my Arc4+ and some 17670 Li-ion.

Status
Not open for further replies.