need LED light for baby's nursery

greenLED

Flashaholic
need LED light for baby\'s nursery

What LED light (or lamp) would you flashaholics recommend to use in a new-born baby's nursery? I'm looking for something bright enough to navigate a room at night and find "baby gear", but not bright enough that it might disturb the baby when checking on him in the middle of the night. Oh, it'd be nice to find something that we can use hands-free.

The CMG/Gerber Bonfire camplites are the first ones to come to mind. I'm thinking the red/yellow LED are soft and dim enough for the job and could be hung near the crib. I don't know if these have hi/low output.

Maybe a couple of Infinity lights? These could be hung by their lanyard. I'm afraid the Ultras might be too bright (?). Any other ideas?

Thanks!

BTW, baby weighed 8 lbs 3 oz and was 20 in!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: need LED light for baby\'s nursery

I'll say the PALight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It fits almost all your requirements, except hands-free. If you want handfree, maybe a PT Aurora?

Congrats on the baby!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nightshade

Enlightened

Congratulations! For the last year or so my wife and I have used the Eternalight "Shake ZZZ" light in our daughter's room. It's placed near the middle shelf on the changing table. The various items on the shelf diffuse the light enough so as not to disturb her and it will gradually dim and shut itself off after 15 minutes . I, myself, find the changing colors soothing at 3 a.m. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al

Enlightened

Try Infinity supported to aim at the ceiling for constant indirect lighting.
Palight with the lens removed (or inverted, depending on which Palight version) gives a wide flood and stands by itself.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Am I remembering correctly that one of the Bonfires has a motion sensor? That would work nicely.

BTW, Happy New Kid!

- (a different) Craig

Henk

Newly Enlightened

The Gerber Infinity's are great so are de Arc AAA/AA. If you are a flashaholic and money is not a problem I would choose the Arc4, on its dimmest setting(you have 16 brightness settings) it is less bright than the Infinety or the Arc AAA.

Congrats!!

Boris

Newly Enlightened

I use an Infinity Ultra, and it works fine. it doesn't wakeup my girl, but is bright enought to use around the room. the neck lanyand is a +. just don't point it directly to the baby... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use an Elumina night lite in my sons room and the living room. It has a blue light that is adjustable. I keep the one in my sons room on low and the living room on high. Perfect for those late night trips to calm a woken up little one.

I've also used my Infinity Ultra to find the ever important pacifier that fell under the bed. But it's kind of bright, I usually wrap it in my hand so only a small pencil thin beam escapes. Something with a low setting with no sidespill would be good for looking for items. Maybe a Photon II covert?

Congrats on the new baby!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

DaveT

Enlightened

CONGRATS!
I've used/use a variety of lights, so here are my top picks, in no particular order.
I keep an Arc AAA on a neck lanyard all the time, and use it a lot for late night checks on the kids...although it can be a bit too much light and sometimes I cup it in the hand to give just a pinpoint to find stuff and avoid spilling light on the sleeper. Also, you can hold it in your mouth during changing.
PALight - we have a bunch of E-Lights - I imagine the other models would be great, too. I inverted the lens as many have suggested. It's great for the always-on, which is sometimes enough light, and standing it on its tail and bouncing off the ceiling is enough for most tasks - and it can be held in the mouth for more light on two-handed tasks.
We have a ZZZ-Flame (instead of light) and use that sometimes - even my wife, the East German judge when it comes to new light purchases, likes this one.
Finally, a 12-LED lantern could be useful - I have a Nuwai that runs off 4 D cells and is smoothly dimmable with a really long battery life. Also, I just got some of the Sportsman's Guide 4AA/12LED lanterns, which have three light levels, and these are pretty handy, too (as well as much smaller).
BTW, what's the baby's name?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an 11-month old and I have been using a Photon 3 covert red set to the lowest brightness and made into a home-made headlamp. Also handy is a white Photon with a single 2032 battery in it to make it dimmer and last forever. These have worked great for me.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try an Energizer single led lantern. You press the head down for on/off. Runs on a single D cell for over 200 hours. They come 3/$20. I use them around the house for nightlights, and will use one for my baby daughter's room when she is born.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened

Without a doubt get a "red" Photon or Inova Microlight keychain light. We use one every night and it's bright enough to see in complete darkness, but not so intense that it would wake up the baby. You can even shine it on the lil one to check on her and it won't bother her at all.

Regards,
Flavio

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with the red Photon; the Energizer lantern was if you were going to let it run all night, or need to do a feeding/changing in the wee hours.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

Arc AAA/AA is too bright for night time close-up baby work. You may want to add some kind of difusser over the bezel.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!
I use a Arc4+ on low, or a VIP on low in candle mode. This may be too bright for light sleepers, but my one-year-old sleeps like a rock so YMMV.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a PALight that I use. Is useful in that I set it down when changing diapers or doing other things and can find it later due to its constatnt on mode. The survivor and Onestar models have adjustable levels for dim light to just check in on the sleeping infant or brightter lighting for specific tasks.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Thank you everyone for the good wishes and the great recommendations! Talk about excuses for buying more lights! It's amazing how open to buying new lights my wife is, now that "they're for the baby" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just received my Infinity, and will be getting a PALight soon, for starters. I couldn't resist and bought an Arc AAA (backorder...) "for when we need a little more light, hon..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ...I'm starting to like this! :evil grin of flashaholism:

So here's my plan: In a couple o'weeks I will declare that all of these lights don't work for what we need them for. And then... the Eternalights (zzz's) look cool... and the Elumina ones seem a neat buy too... and the Milky Candle would be great for those "spent" 123's... and... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Wow!! You guys are too just too cool! Best to everyone!!

Miguel

DaveT

Enlightened

WOW...I wish I'd thought to couch the justifications that way...my wife has accepted and uses the PALight, and likes the ZZZ Flame. Best of luck.
And what's the little one's name?