Need help, looking for 5W 2x123 LS

gloworm

Newly Enlightened
I've been following the forum for a few months now, got myself a Arc 4+, FF2 even made a 35w HID mod. But what I really would like is a flashlight running on 2 x 123 rechargeables (probably pilas) slightly under driving a quality binned (W or higher) luxeon 5w. Must have 2 stage switch . I would primarily use it around the camp ground so good throw with a decent side spill would be best. Size of the flashlight is not critical, but don't want it too big. I actually find the Arc 4 a bit small in my hand sometimes. If I am going to go looking for something in the dark then picking up a flashlight that fits in my hand, is not too heavy and is bright fits the bill . I think 100 lumens would be just nice. Any reccomendations, factory or mods ?

gloworm

Newly Enlightened
$270 for a U2 doesn't look like good value to me. I'd rather pay $119 for a electrolumens tri-phazer.

Chooch

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set of Pila 168S specifically to use in my SF L2 but unfortunately, they won't fit.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 w/ 2-stage switch mod would fit all requirements. Personally, I think it's medium range flood is fine. But, if you really need something with more traditional throw, you may have to wait for the U2.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
A 5 watt in a PR or PR-T head would give you more of a hot spot than a L4. To get rid of the donut in the beam,just put a shim of thin cardboard under the reflector around the Luxeon.

I have a couple of these with BB750s, but if you want them underdriven you might try a BB500. I don't think you can get 100 lumens if you underdrive it. You should be close with a "W" bin driven at 750ma.

Several of the modders could make this for you. McGizmo, JollyRoger & Darkzero have all built me great lights.

Pilas will work if you use a E2e/E2D or a L4 body, but they won't fit in the L1 or L2.

McGizmo is making two stage switches for E2e/E2D/L4 bodies.

You might want to get a E2D because it's black and I think The Sandwich Shoppe is out of PR heads in HA, but they have black PR-Ts in stock(don't wait).

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
A 5 watt in a PR or PR-T head would give you more of a hot spot than a L4. To get rid of the donut in the beam,just put a shim of thin cardboard under the reflector around the Luxeon.

I have a couple of these with BB750s, but if you want them underdriven you might try a BB500. I don't think you can get 100 lumens if you underdrive it. You should be close with a "W" bin driven at 750ma.

Several of the modders could make this for you. McGizmo, JollyRoger & Darkzero have all built me great lights.

Pilas will work if you use a E2e/E2D or a L4 body, but they won't fit in the L1 or L2.

McGizmo is making two stage switches for E2e/E2D/L4 bodies.

You might want to get a E2D because it's black and I think The Sandwich Shoppe is out of PR heads in HA, but they have black PR-Ts in stock(don't wait).

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the motion. A Wbin BB750 in a PR head W/E2E body and E2Mclux switch would fit all of your requirements except one. The cost would be $200+ to put together.

5watt PR head = $125 min, the Wbin alone is aprox. $45
E2E body w/lotc = $65
E2 mclux switch = $28 + shipping
-------
$218 aprox.

Pila charger + 168s ??

kevindick

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check out McGizmo's Aleph plans here. It appears as if he'll offer it in 2 x 123 5W with a 38mm reflector.