Will a set of PILA 150s run a surefire HOLA P91 ?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, interesting thought - because I was just thinking the same thing, with slightly different sized cells.

Has anybody tried running rechargeable 123s (most likely without the protection circuit, as the new ones haven't shipped yet) and the P91? I've heard of some who've done it with R123s and the P90, that's why I have two on preorder now. Just wondering if I should spend the extra on the P91 lamp since these are, after all, guilt free lumens - the best kind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
Two 150s's will run a P91 just fine. Not sure of the runtime, as my 9P (well, 6P + A19) is my 'tactical' light, and I tend to put it away & pull the L4 when the adrenaline-producing portion of the program is over... <G>

Since the 150s's don't suffer from memory or 'top-off' limiting lifespan, I've got two sets & just swap them off when I get home.

IIRC, there's someone on CPF running a P91 LA in a 6P (w/pyrex lens) on two of JSB's original rechargeable 123's.

I've been prohibited from any discretionary spending (i.e. I can't buy any new toys) right now, or I'd buy a set of JSB's new ones (due to arrive any day now??) just for the look on a couple of faces when a tiny '6p' produced that much light... <G>

kf

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reason I asked is that I want a Surefire weapon light running the P91 and using Pila cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif That way the bad guys won't know what hit em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and will cry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
They'll still not know what hit them and cry if you are using normal 123A's....

How do two R123A's run a 9v P91? Two R123A's topped off are only 8.4V, and their voltage sags rather quickly, am I correct?

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but with PILA's I can just recharge and go on to the next set of guys and it's cheaper in the long run

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kfasold said:
Two 150s's will run a P91 just fine. Not sure of the runtime, as my 9P (well, 6P + A19) is my 'tactical' light, and I tend to put it away & pull the L4 when the adrenaline-producing portion of the program is over... <G>

Since the 150s's don't suffer from memory or 'top-off' limiting lifespan, I've got two sets & just swap them off when I get home.

IIRC, there's someone on CPF running a P91 LA in a 6P (w/pyrex lens) on two of JSB's original rechargeable 123's.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Now you've done it! Now I must buy a P91 as well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

*pauses to recover from cracking up*

Thanks for the informative reply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be ordering the P90/91 once the R123s ship, so I should be able to provide runtime info on the batteries. I've heard about something like 40 minutes for unprotected R123s with the P90, so I'm figuring on no more than 10-15 minutes of light with the P91. But, either way that will still be a huge improvement because then I need not throw three cells away after 20 minutes.

The beauty of the protected R123s is that you can run them on many SF platforms with Pyrex lenses. I'm eyeing the C2 as the new housing for the "Super6" project (R123+P9x). The toughest part is, black or HA3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kfasold

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL1 said:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Now you've done it! Now I must buy a P91 as well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

*pauses to recover from cracking up*

Thanks for the informative reply. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be ordering the P90/91 once the R123s ship, so I should be able to provide runtime info on the batteries. I've heard about something like 40 minutes for unprotected R123s with the P90, so I'm figuring on no more than 10-15 minutes of light with the P91. But, either way that will still be a huge improvement because then I need not throw three cells away after 20 minutes.

The beauty of the protected R123s is that you can run them on many SF platforms with Pyrex lenses. I'm eyeing the C2 as the new housing for the "Super6" project (R123+P9x). The toughest part is, black or HA3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried to find the original note regarding use of the R123A's w/the P90, but I'm not that great @ searching...

Be interested to hear your experience w/the P91. As I said, toy purchases are on hold for now, but ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

kf

sideshowandy

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn - I guess that a P91 will fit in a G3 as Pila lamps fit in Surefires...

Madecove - 150S's work well in a C3 but need a different spring in an M3 (battery tube slightly shorter...)

Heck

Enlightened
Hey can someone here with a P90 do a runtime check with Pila 150S? I haven't found a solid answer on how long Pila 150S run with SF 9Vs.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll let you know,I just started to run a test in my Z3 with P90

OK, 45 minutes and the lamp is still burning, it is dimming but still white not yellow.
I'll let you know when it goes out

50 minutes almost exactly light went out. beam was useable throughout . not really yellow, but dimmed. nice stuff