'Shawshank Redemption' Light Question

naromtap

Enlightened
\'Shawshank Redemption\' Light Question

As Andy(Tim Robbins) is escaping he has a small light that he uses, anyone know what it is? Seems very fine for something that is set in 1966?!

capnal

Enlightened
Re: \'Shawshank Redemption\' Light Question

Best I can tell, it is an Eveready 2C cell "sportsman". These were very popular, easy to come by lights back then. Chrome plated bodys, usually 1/8" thick glass lens. Switch was a slide 2 position that was on or "flash / signal" by pressing another button. I have collected several of these over the years. In fact, I gave away sets of them to friends for Christmas last year which included this 2C along with a 2D and a 3D. (I really have found that many of them!)

RA00032.jpg

The graphic is from the flashlightmuseum.com site. {edited to add: the one in this graphic is actually a 2D, but you get the idea.}

P.S.: The people I gave them to were for sure not into flashlights at all, but have since come back to me and told me how much they use them. These are handy little lights for general around the house / inside cabinets type illumination.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
capnal said:
Best I can tell, it is an Eveready 2C cell "sportsman".

[/ QUOTE ]

Psst! (whispering)It's Rayovac, Capnal, Rayovac.

capnal

Enlightened

DOH!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Double DOH!!

Really, I did know that. Sorry guys, just small error on my part! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

flashlight_widow

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif Capnal, even *I* knew that was a Rayovac!

naromtap

Enlightened

I'm gonna have another look at the film, but It did look a bit Surefire-ish to me, so may not in actual fact be a light that you would of had in 1966, but in actual fact one in production in 1994 when the film was made, I wont let that ruin the film for me if it is, as it really is a good film! Just been bugging me a bit. lol