New Nuwai All-Led Hybrids

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have experience with these all-led hybrids of 5mm and 1W 3C/3D lights (1913C & 2013D). These are Twin Task-ish but have 6 leds instead of 3, and a 1W lux instead of an incan. If these are regulated, they'd be a homerun. They might be anyway, depending on review. Anyone know anything? There's also a 2C version.

Judging solely from the picture, there might also be significant mod potential here for a 3W and higher power, etc. Looks like typical good Nuwai build with a single two stage switch and textured reflector surrounding all the leds.

waion

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nuwai similar 1W 6 LEDs, but it's not the same design of that 1913C & 2013D. Pls look at the 16th flashlight in my collection here if you're interested.

waion

Newly Enlightened
One thing more, it's operation sequence is: off-> 3 LEDs on-> 6 LEDs on-> 1W on-> off.

waion

Newly Enlightened
phaserburn, it uses 3C cells (an old friend of mine has a 2C-version)l The beam is good for 1W standard. Sorry, I don't know if it's regulated.

MTFD17, as fas as I know, Nuwai is just re-packing the flashlights from the OEM and sell them. They don't make the lights but sell them in this way. This is why we can never find the brand name Nuwai on the lights.

javafool

Enlightened
Okay, I am going to give this a try. I have the 2Cx2speed Nuwai flashlight shown in the first picture. It is supposed to be regulated, and appears to have a single LED. Pressing the button once produces a 82mW low beam that is good for getting around the house. Pressing again kicks it up to 560mA for a decent light outdoors or lighting up a room. Press again for off. The body is aluminum with a nice finish and a comfort foam type grip.

2Cflashlight.jpg

The photo below does not exactly show what I would like to about the beam. It is white with a somewhat bluish tint. The reflector makes the beam adjustable but it has a starburst type pattern that cannot be cleaned up. On a wall, I would consider the beam pretty lousy. Out in the yard and for using a flashlight as a flashlight I find the beam fairly bright and very effective. There is enough sidespill to make it a very good light for an evening walk or general use.

2c beam.jpg

Overall, I do like this light. I think I paid $43 including shipping and for that price it is very nice. It is also exactly the kind of light I would give to my daughter or my mom as a long burning, useful emergency flashlight.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have the Nuwai 1812C (2xC cells, 1W LD Luxeon, 6x 5mm LED - allegedly Nichia).

1812.profile.jpg

The Luxeon is the highest-performing 1W emitter I have ever seen. Its overall output seems to be 75% of my 3W VIP on high.

Crude beamshot, missing some hotspot details because of my camera's lack of fine-tuning. The 6 "points" are present in the spill because of the thru-holes in the reflector for the 5mm LEDs. As for the 3/6-LED modes, think "Inova X5" with a distinct blue tint to the LEDs.

Operational sequence is 1W, 3x5mm, 6x5mm, off.

1812.reflector.jpg

Mechanically, it's very stout. There are O-rings on all joints and threading action is smooth. I haven't figured out how to remove the lens yet. There are fine grooves in the aluminum from the machining - they're very uniform and only obvious upon close inspection (I like them, but some don't).

1812.assembly.jpg

It's definitely regulated - when the cells can no longer supply the luxeon with enough current, it switches off immediately. I couldn't tell you the exact mode of regulation. When the cells are nearly flat, it will sometimes light 3 of the 5mm LEDs, but not 6.

The light behaves... oddly... with NiMH cells. I somehow blew one of the 5mm LEDs when I was doing a runtime test with some AAs and AA->C adaptors. I can't tell if the LED died, or if something else petered out - there's no room to place probes on the leads without shorting.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, idleprocess. Where did you get yours, and how much, if you don't mind my asking? The reflector smooth? It looks it.

daq

Newly Enlightened
I also think this looks like a very nice flashlight.
I'd be glad to hear where to buy and how much it cost.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The primary reflector is smooth and deep.

There's a donut in the LS's beam, but it's hard to notice at more than 5 feet and nowhere near as pronounced as the donut produced by most 5W emitters.

I bought it off B/S/T from ButOutGear for something like $50 shipped (might have been less - I can't recall offhand). I think it might have been an evaluation sample, or it was being sold there because it didn't have any packaging.