P60 vs MN03 throw ??

Joseph

Enlightened
I just did some comparison between G2 and E2e. The result was surprising.

With P61 they have about the same throw(to my eyes but obviously) but P61 had about twice bigger spot and was actually brighter than E2e.

However with P60 they had about same brightness and E2e threw much further than P60 with smaller hot spot! P60 had bigger hotspot but the beam was diffused so that it wasn't easy to notice the beam.

What I knew was that P60 is 5 lumen brighter than MN03 and P60 throws much further than MN03. Also P61 must be twice brighter than MN03 but it wasn't "twice brighter" to my eyes..obviously..the beam was twice bigger though.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Comparison was done with brand new fresh batteries from surefire.

Something wrong with my eyes or the lamps? or I have some misunderstanding on the definition of "brightness"?

Please help me out guys!

Anyway, I'm really pleased with my E2e. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience is the opposite, Joseph. My E2e has less throw and more spread than my G2. I wonder if the filament is just a little bit off from the proper centerline positioning in each of your reflectors? I thought the P60 was supposed to have more throw, too. Perhaps a SureFire expert will help us out.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, your results are surprising. I only own the 6P and E1e, so it would be an unfair comparison, but I wuld have thought that the 6P with larger reflector would be the further throwing/smaller hotspot one.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned all three, but currently only own the E2e, but even so, I would bet plenty of cold hard cash that something is amiss here.

The P60 and P61 should both beat the E2e soundly in the throw department. Not even close, but not a slaughter either. I would guess that the P60 throws 50 percent farther than the E2e, more or less.

There could be some resistance in your G2. Every contact clean and free of oxides?

Your P60 LA could be messed up.

But SOMETHING is definitely amiss, IMO.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
The Lexan lens in the G2 is the culprit. Try the same test with a G2Z, against the E2E.

oldgrandpajack

Joseph

Enlightened
Thank you for replies.

I don't have G2z so I can't do the test... That's too sad.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif Maybe I should try swapping the lens of My G2..
My p60 has nice round hot spot so it doesn't seem to be messed up.

Strange, amazing, unbelievable result... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Maybe my e2e is a mutant one..

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow the Lexan does so much damage? I'm glad I insisted on Pyrex all the way, almost bought a Lexan by accident last weekend. (would have been disastrous in a 200 lumen light too!)

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL1 said:
Wow the Lexan does so much damage? I'm glad I insisted on Pyrex all the way, almost bought a Lexan by accident last weekend. (would have been disastrous in a 200 lumen light too!)

[/ QUOTE ]

In my limited experience, the difference between Lexan and Pyrex is most significant with the low output lamp assemblies. When you get up to 200 lumens, the difference doesn't seem to be significant at all. Of course, I am comparing 3" turbo heads with Lexan, and 2.5" turbo heads with Pyrex.

oldgrandpajack

brightnorm

Flashaholic
oldgrandpajack is right, but even with its lexan lens my G2's beam is noticeably stronger than my E2E's, and I've tested several MN03's against P60s and P61s with lexan lenses. Assuming that all tested lights have fresh batteries and that the lexan lenses are not scratched or clouded and that the G2 reflector isn't "satiny" rather than "shiny", and that there isn't some resistance anomaly in your G2 the answer really has to be the bulb(s). It would be helpful if you had multiple bulbs; that way you could get an idea if a particular bulb is atypical. Your results are definitely atypical!

Brightnorm