Most unusually designed light, your nominations...

iceweasel

Newly Enlightened
Sure, form follows function. A flashlight is basically a tube that holds power with an emitter on one end. But we humans, we crafty humans also embellish our creations in the most interesting ways.

Granted, outrageous designs may not be the pragmatic "in the field" but life isn't merely a series of repeating survival exercises. Sometimes we just do things because we can.

So I ask you, what light or lights do you think are the most interesting? The most outrageous? The coolest even if they're not all that useful?

And if at all possible, please post an image or a link to one, of your nominations.

I'm a complete novice here so I ask in an attempt to learn. Here are two of my favorites but I post them hoping that many of you will find much more "interesting" examples.

My two favorites right now are my SureFire E1e with KL1 head and my Innoxa x5. The SureFire just because it's so well finished and has some many, no matter how functional, pleasurable aspects visually. It's hardly a boring light. And the Innova makes the list because it's so superbly finished. The twist mechanism glides as though it were hydraulic. The tactility is singular in my brief and very limited experience. The glassy smoothness of the barrel is really something that none of the other lights even approach.

What do you think?

Thanks very much.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the Inova 24/7 would receive my vote for the most unusual flashlight.

247-1.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: Most unusually designed light, your nomination

The Eternalights are quite strange, too, especially the Raven ...

Raven1_400.jpg

bernhard

MY

Enlightened

I would nominate Telephony's Toylet light contraption.

Regards.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Iceweasel, I'm with you on the E1e and X5T. Those are two, superbly made, lights.

No photo, but imagine a two button cell, amber LED, in a small body that straps to your finger - The Apache finger light.

iceweasel

Newly Enlightened

Jay, I've seen something like the fingerlight, very cool. I bought something along that same line, I think the name is "quiqlight". A little folding contraption that, when it works, is very cool. Problem is, it's so poorly engineered and manufactured, it's more or less disposable.

Lightnix, the Epoch4 is VERY cool. I'd like to see it in person. I admit a certain preference for lights fashioned from metal but I love the design of the Epoch. Great nomination, I'd never seen that one before.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

If I may propose one of my own lights, I think my happy buddah with magnet in butt and LED's in pine pillow is just a *bit* off the normal path.................

buddah-on.jpg

buddah-off.jpg

I think this might have been one of the earliest reed activated LED lights but for some reason, it fell well short of viability as an EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

ui ... Don ... didn't know you had a dark past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
a great concept though, did you go further in that direction?
bk

P.S.: another one ... looks like a simple LedLenser V1:

LogoLenser.jpg

but the beam is this:

LogoLenserBat.jpg

Batman's pocket signal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernhard

iceweasel

Newly Enlightened

McG, that might be one weirdest possible thing that could be posted here. As such, I love it. There's so much, well, metaphor going on there...

Kiessling, cool logo. For me, I hate Bacardi (that is the Bacardi logo is not?) logo, so I might pass on that particular one. But I think the idea is frightening and awesome at the same time. Kind of like the old movie device where the miniature angel and devil pop up on the person's shoulder playing point/counter-point.

Excellent nominations so far! Much entertainment. Thanks. Please, keep them coming!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

The strangest one I've seen (only pictures) is the new Gerber Inferno.
Inferno.jpg

yclo

Flashaholic*

There's this box light thing I made way back a year of two ago, which is basically 10 x blue 5mm leds resistored with 3 x AA batteries wired with a mercury switch so that it turns on whenever it faces up.

Then there's this one which I also made a few months ago which has 4 x AA's with 4 x trim pots, and 16 x 5mm leds (4 of each colour). Good for mood lighting.

Here it is in action at one of my friend's parties:

-YC

acoldspoon

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
The strangest one I've seen (only pictures) is the new Gerber Inferno.
Inferno.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Wasn't this marketed as the Squid Light, or something? I could swear I've seen it before.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've always had a soft spot for the Energizer Double Barrel, both the AA and AAA version. It is Energizers attempt at making a performance light. The light runs either 4AA or 4AAA batteries in two parallel circuits so the light runs on 3-volts. It is built of machined aluminium with a polycarbonite head.

The beam is terrible with the incandescent bulb but it does have a semi faceted reflector so it does have potential. I'm in the process of modding an AA light now.

D410_red_AAA.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
acoldspoon said:
Wasn't this marketed as the Squid Light, or something? I could swear I've seen it before.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Squid Light is not made by the same company as the Inferno. Let's see if I can dig up pictures of the Squid Light...BRB...

squid4.jpg
squid5.jpg

I'll be getting a Gerber Inferno for evaluation purposes fairly soon. At that time, I'll post the URL to its web page in my thread in the Reviews forum.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
MY said:
I would nominate Telephony's Toylet light contraption.

[/ QUOTE ]
You mean this thing?

toylet58.jpg

It has a yellow Luxeon Star with optic, and is direct-driven by two AA cells.