Surfing a 66 foot wave!

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Nice clip!
Back at my home in CA, I used to go watch the Maverick almost every winter, but never really saw anything this big. The biggest I ever saw was probably around 40 foot, still an amazing sight, when you see the surfer is like a little dot surrounded by a wall of water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
What drives humans to do such things? What other animal will purposely drive itself to the speed of sound, drop itself out of the sky, climb a mountain for no reason, or bring itself to the face of death? I don't know any other animal on this planet that will do something that daring, that scary, purely for fun.

You have got to feel on top of the world after riding something like that. It's probably the closest to feeling like a god or superhero after conquering nature on a little surfboard.
Heck, i get scared facing a 6 foot wave on a body board....what more a 60 foot wave? I've heard of people riding 100 foot waves....now that is something else.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you google on Mavericks, Jaws or Cortez Banks, you can find some incredible images and videos of guys getting towed into monster waves! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif There is a recent movie; "Step into Liquid" that is a great film on contemporary surfing and enjoyable to those who have never surfed or had the inclination to do so. I have let my age, geography, life and flashaholisim get in the way of my one true love. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It is no surprise to me that surfing has had its impact on culture, on an international level, for the last 40 years! In the movie, there is a guy who surfs the great lakes and his comments on "the stoke" really bring it home to anyone who has spent time on a board! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i wonder if step into the liquid was the video microsoft used to demo a new codec a while back it was awesume. the name sound familer.i miss the ocean...

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif Dude....thats one big a$$ wave. Nice vid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif