Whatever happened to the Sonic?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CMG Sonic was widely talked about and received somewhat mixed reviews. Since the Arc AAA is no longer available, would it be a viable, relatively inexpensive alternative?

nexro

Enlightened
Yes, they would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I got a few at sale prices last time and given it out as gifts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dasfx

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of the Sonic G's from CountyComm and they are highly recomended. Not quite as nice as the Arc, but not bad.

DasFX

paulr

Flashaholic
Yes, TTS has them at $9.50. I have a couple of them and they are ok.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sonic is now distributed by Gerber, but I have been happy with mine and haven't been tempted to buy an Arc AAA. I have a silver one so the nicks and dings aren't as noticable as they would be with another color. I like that the older ones have the led recessed (protected). Until there is a luxeon led that can run as long as a 5mm on an AAA battery, I'll probably keep my Sonic on my keychain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
While ordering another light from Brightguy, I also ordered a Sonic just to play with. Looks like the size and output are similar to the Arc, and the price is right.

Hey Mike:
"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" - Willy Wonka.

Streak

Enlightened
I have been in touch with the person who heads up Gerber Lighting (ex CMG) and he is confident that the newly redesigned Sonic and Infinity ultra will appeal. I see prices are around $13 and $17 respectively.

I am trying to convince them to do some CPF specials, we'll see what comes of it.

nexro

Enlightened
I heard of a redesigned Infinity Ultra but wasn't aware of the redesigned Sonic. Same question as powernoodle, any pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My Sonic gets used every night as my "walking around the house light". No, it's not an Arc, but it's really not bad. The switch is easy to turn (maybe too easy for some) and the covert nature of the beam can be nice. I didn't realize they were being redesigned. Could be interesting.

Geoff

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Streak said:
I saw the new catalogue today. It seems that the website is not up to date. I'll see what I can find out and let you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be nice to know if one should get the old style or the new style.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Hopefully the new Sonic doesn't look like the old ones. It was kinda funky looking with the tapered front end. The red one was described to me by a friend as "that dog ***** led".

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Yes, TTS has them at $9.50. I have a couple of them and they are ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

paulr,
Who is TTS? I hate the ergonomics of the sonic but I like the way they recessed the LED for less spill. I also like the finish and the quirkiness of the SONIC-G.

paulr

Flashaholic
Streak, I don't like what they did to the Ultra, so I'll wait to see what they did with the Sonic. The old Sonic was just ok though, not great, so they may well have improved it. With the Ultra, they took something good and messed it up.

bhds

Enlightened
Just my opinion but the Sonics output doesnt even come close to the Arc AAA. I just received 2 from TTS and both have extremely blue tints and are extremely dim. I bought them for a friend who was drooling over my arc aaa. Even to his untrained eye the sonic was "...kinda dim hunh?"
YMMV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The Sonic that I tested (I have two but the other is unopened) is about as bright as an Arc AAA, though the beam is a little narrower. Other people's tests have shown similar results. It looks like CMG's regulator circuit wasn't as good, so the Sonic doesn't run as long on a battery, but you can buy a heck of a lot of AAA cells for the price difference between the lights.

Anyway, maybe your Sonic is below average, or maybe it needs a new battery.