12 watt LEDs? What's with this light?

CrashRacer

Newly Enlightened
12 watt LEDs? What\'s with this light?

The BLT Enduro-Ray® NH 1250 uses 12 watts of HI-LED power that exceeds the output of 50W Halogen systems, and most HID systems. The Enduro-Ray NH 1250 will run for 6 hours at full output, and will provide useable output for an additional 3-4 hours after this, to provide a total useable runtime of up to 10 hours!

Blt-Lights

**Tried to fix links-dano**

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 12 watt LEDs? What\'s with this light?

I notice they don't say much about the throw... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Uh, multiple LuxIIIs or some other "power" LED? An underdriven Lamina BL-3000? A manufacturer playing fast and loose with specs?

Mutiple LuxIII's sound right - they mention "side-emitting" often enough.

136k hours sounds like a real stretch for emitter lifetime - especially if it's really 12 watts.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh2.gif

Got to wonder about the whole thing. It doesn't add up.

My GE Lamp products catalog puts most 50 watt halogens at about 700 lumens (14 lumens per watt, and that is about right for a 50 watter, it gets up to about 20 lumens per watt once you get past about 200 watts).

According to blurb, the battery capacity works out as 60 watt hours, and it says it runs the 12 watt element for 6 hours. That is a 10 watt draw, not 12 watts. Let me know when you find an LED that puts out 70 lumens per watt. In fact I am sure Lumileds would pay a ton of money for such a design. the reality is only HID lighting can provide that kind of efficiency.

In fact let me know when you find one a big LED that puts out 40 lumens per watt.

There are obviously a few things somebody forgot to mention, or perhaps the specs involve a certain amount of wishful thinking....

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm thinking that whoever wrote that sheet either is fudging the figures (and by fudging, I mean Enron-style) or else they're seriously mistaken about the output there. Or else they're using a different definition of 'output' than the rest of the world uses.

Personally, I don't see the point in having something brighter than a 50W halogen lamp if the throw's like 15-20 feet (as it would be with a whole bunch of Nichias, for example).

idleprocess

Flashaholic

The ever-elusive X-bin Luxeon V can manage 40 lm/W (on the low end!), but we know just how common those are.

CrashRacer

Newly Enlightened

Good points!
Sounds like marketing BS again.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened

I nite-ride with a number of people that have the Niterider HID systems, and they are excellent. It would be interesting to see how this performs on the trail. That stuff has to be pretty reliable, a split-second outage from a poorly designed connector as you hit a bump before a drop could end you up in the hospital. I'm still using NR halogen spots and a flood on my bike, because I trust it and know it's characteristics!

Piers!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

It mentions that it produces 240 lumen only. It sounds like 3xLIII driven at 1A each. They charge $630 for a regulated 3xLIII rechargeable light!!! I'll pass.

Alan

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

There have been several threads around here about 3 element lux bike lights, or even more. Check out the Electrolumens forum as I know he has built several such things for people as custom orders but no finished product yet. I am pretty sure you could have gotten several of them for that price though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm going to make myself a tri-light bike light eventually. Can't ride after dark at the moment at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CrashRacer

Newly Enlightened

Where do they say 240 lumen?
Is 240 lumen = 50 watt halogen?
What's the convertion.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
CrashRacer said:
Where do they say 240 lumen?
Is 240 lumen = 50 watt halogen?
What's the convertion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check this out.

Alan

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

Standard incandescents range from about 4 lumens per watt for very low wattage <5 watts to about 20 lumens per watt in high wattage, short life applications. 10-12 lumens per watt is a pretty good average. You tend to get lower efficiency in long life lamps, and higher in short life lamps.

Halogen lamps start at about 10 lumes per watt for very small lamps, and can reach about 35 lumens per watt is very high power (900-1000 watt) HIR lamps. Most lamps in the 40-150 watt range will be 15-20 lumens per watt.

HID lighting is about 50 lumens per watt at the bottom end (the 10 watt), and can get a little past 100 lumens per watt in the best high power lamps.

Most good Fluoresecents are in the 60-80 lumen/watt range.

The most efficient lamps are the low pressure sodium or SOX.
Color rendition sucks, but a 200 watt SOX is almost 200 lumens per watt.