Cheap interesting 4LED 3AA flashlight.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have recently stumbled across a cheap aluminum LED light I have been playing with. Here is a few pictures:
Pdrm0333RS.jpg

Pdrm0334RS.jpg

Pdrm0335RS.jpg

Here is the bad news about this light:
The size isn't small 6.75 inch long 1.5 inch diameter.
Somewhat heavy with 3 batteries in it.
reflector doesn't help much on it.
electrical connections are not too good, I probably need some of that conductive grease.
the tail cap switch is hard to push and the hole in the end of the push button is pretty small.
They put a 16 ohm resistor in it which defaults to about 15ma total to all 4leds. It needs to be replaced. I bypassed it and use slightly dead batteries in it.

Now the good news:
it is almost ALL aluminum, EVEN the reflector seems to be aluminum. there is only plastic in the battery holder and clear end cover on the head.
the 4led module is removeable just by unscrewing it can be used in other projects.
The battery holder looks like a hacked 4AA series design with one spring removed and a strip of metal that looks like you could modify it easily to stack them. possible cheap 3AA to D cell tight fit.
case of the light is sturdy and the finish is durable.
You can unscrew the head and place it underneath and use it as a big candle.
Pdrm0350RS.jpg

and last of all.. did I say CHEAP?

so what do you think?

jaa

Newly Enlightened
Nice candle mode.

Is there a mfgr's name and model number?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
voodooreq, cheeeeeep as cheep is... got it in a dollar store costs just a little over a dollar with tax.

jaa, I am unsure of the manufacturer it may be something like sterling electronics. Here is a new in package view, sorry for the blurriness I am just getting used to this digital camera I borrowed.
Pdrm0353RS.jpg

Pdrm0354RS.jpg

I searched the net for it with no luck. The place I got it from had a half dozen more a month ago on the shelf I could only afford to get a few at that time. I was going to use it for the LEDs instead of ordering them at 100 pieces to get them cheap I figured I could strip them from this light.
I thought about selling them on here to make a few bucks or giving a few of them away to folks that are like me, LED light poor and want to play around with them without spending a fortune. I have been using one of them as a candle by putting small drinking straws cut in half on each of the LEDS it spreads the light out more. I will put some pictures of that later this evening.

I figure the battery carrier may be useful also it isn't near the quality of the 3 to D Electrolumens sells but may be good enough with slight modification to use. If you could put a spring in the fourth hole you may be able to use it as a 4 to D I think. I have pictures of it but they ended up too blurry, seems the autofocus doesn't like me I had to turn it off to get most of the pictures here.

If I get enough interest I may try to get these into the hands of flashaholics, if I can financially manage it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They place I got it from are currently out, not sure if they will get any more there was a dozen left a week ago maybe someone bought them all up. I did pick up a really cheezy dollar led keychain light with white led in it, not as good as the county comm but it works ok. probably strip the LED out of it when the batteries go out.