Inova X0 vs X03? Worth the money for the X03?...

cmeisenzahl

Enlightened
Thanks for the good info guys.

It looks like the X0 is a lot closer to the X03 than it is to the X5T.

X5T: 9.80, 8.95
XO: 31.62, 20.00
XO3: 44.27, 28.50

I'm really leaning toward one of these two lights. But can't decide which to get, and in short, if the X03 is worth the extra money.

I have an Arc AAA, and a 3 or 4 D cell mag already from about 10+ years ago. The new light I get would be used around the house for power outages, walks at night with the dogs, etc. I would of course like it to be pretty bright, but 60 minute runtimes on non-rechargeable batteries doesn't really appeal to me.

Which do you guys think I should get? Is the X0 enough (I've mentioned before that I was pretty unimpressed with the light of the X5T I owned)?

Or is the X03 worth the extra money? I keep going back and forth on this.

http://flashlightreviews4.home.att.net/reviews/inova_xo.htm
http://flashlightreviews4.home.att.net/reviews/inova_xo3.htm

I think I'm leaning toward the X0 but could really use some advice.

The Inova websight shows the X0 but I can't find any mention of the X03 there.

Thanks guys, I really don't want to buy another light and be disappointed with it.

Christopher

Jake00

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Each Model has diffrent specs for diffrent applications& taste. I Have the 3 x5t,1 Xo3 and plan on gettin the T2,and T3.

Jake00

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Each Model has diffrent specs for diffrent applications& taste. I Have 3 x5t,1 Xo3 and plan on gettin the T2,and T3. I want the T1 too for compactnes but Ill opt for the new SF Kl1.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
The Inova website is way behind their product offerings. It is odd. I'd be annoyed, but ultimately it means their engineering and production are out in front of marketing. How often does this happen?

I have two X5t's, 3 XO's, and 1 XO3. The XO (or T2) is massively brighter than the X5t. There's really no contest in terms of either output or throw. The X5t is a better floodlight - but it's not that bright. I can appreciate your disappointment.

"Is the XO enough? Is the XO3 worth the extra money?"

I guess I'd have to say - "it depends."

>>around the house for power outages

I think the XO is a better choice here - it has at least 2x the runtime (4-5 hours) and is plenty bright for around the house. (At least my house - maybe you live in a mansion with 80' long corridors, and lots of dark wood... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

>>walks at night with the dogs

The XO works well for this. The XO3 is a lot brighter, and because of the luxeon III it has whiter light. I use mine to follow trails of reflectors in the woods at night. (You really need throw for that - although often the XO is OK for that too.) You'll likely see the XO3 better if there are lots of street lights where you walk. (Many flashlights will be hard-pressed to compete with some extremely brightly lit areas, btw.) Obviously I thought the XO3 was "worth it", because I bought one. I'm not disappointed with either light!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of these lights. The tradeoff is pretty simple between the two:
XO - extremely bright, great throw, 4-5 hours runtime
XO3 - quite a lot brighter, amazing throw for an LED, 2 hours runtime - a tremendous LED light for looking at stuff in the distance. It blows the XO away in terms of brightness and throw.

The XO3 is the more impressive of the two lights. I pretty much use it instead of my Pelican M6 incand. For general use, though, I still say the XO is more useful. (Ironically, because it isn't as bright - the XO3 is so bright that it's hard to hold something and read it a couple of feet away from your face.) The XO is the more economical of the two lights. (I think that's important to you, right?) The XO3 is more likely to make people say "holy crap!" when you turn it on. Which of those two things is more important to you is something I can't answer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think the CPF Mantra is "Buy 'em both!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
Re: Is the T3 the same as the XO3 but ...

i sold my X0 not too long ago and planning on getting a T03 later on.

don't get me wrong, the X0 is plenty bright and very good throw. and mine was the whitest of LED that I've ever seen/own. the side spill of X0 is weak, it works ok in the dark, but its not enough to put against lit areas.

but my MM WO LuxIII with Faren LP, kroll switch and mmag seems to do exactly the same (maybe a little less throw), with cheap NiMH power.

so i am shooting for the T03 and hoping that the 3W luxeon will put a bigger gap between the MM sandwich and T03.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Christopher Meisenzahl said:
in a different case/body?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the T3 is the same as the XO3, but with a different case (T3 is knurled), and the T3 has a clickie switch. (Which I now covet.) It is a few bucks cheaper, but lacks a sheath. Cheaper + knurled body + clickie switch - sheath = better deal, at least to me. I'd say that I am sorry I didn't wait to get a T3 - but I've used my XO3 quite a bit, so I've been glad to have it sooner, rather than later.

I love all Inova products. I've got several of each of the X1, X5, X0 and T1. My favorite right now is the T1, with the X0 a very close second. I'm hopeful that the future will allow for the production of a titanium-colored body on the T1, as that is one of the things I love about the X0. And, as I've said so many times, NO light is more durable than an Inova.