Are L4's no longer the hot item?

RH

Enlightened
Are L4\'s no longer the hot item?

It seems to me that L4's are becoming a lot easier to find. Today, I stopped by my local Gander Mountain which has never had an L4 and they had three of them on display!

Is the L4 becoming less popular? What's taken its place? Mine is my favorite light.

Thanks,
Robert

dtsoll

Enlightened
Re: Are L4\'s no longer the hot item?

I love mine, as they say, wall of light. I like mine so much I may be giving one to my father-in-law for his B-day!!!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened

I love mine too. I don't think they're becomming less popular. Maybe since many of us CPFers finally have at least one, the supply is actually starting to catch up with the demand.

Hmmm, I wonder how long it will take to get the U2 out and in mass distribution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love my L2s. Like the L4, they give off a wall of light. Awesome flood beam, with a generous hotspot too. I plan to also get an L4 too.

I can't wait for the U2s as well. That will be IMO the flagship of the Surefire line. I know there are brighter models (M4, M6, and Dominator), but a flashlight with SIX regulated levels of brightness and a 5-watt LED is IMO a lot more useful than a 500 lumen light that runs out of power in just an hour.

It will be cool to have 4 day runtime at the 2 lumen setting, and a full 20 minute runtime at 100 hours, plus many levels in between that give tradeoffs of output and runtime. I absolutely think the U2, if ever finished, will be the most useful Surefire currently made.

RH

Enlightened

Don't get me wrong, the L4 is my favorite light. I was just shocked to see the abundant supply at GM...they wanted full retail though!

lenny

Newly Enlightened

Uh, what's a U2?
When will it be available?
What are its features, output, etc?
I assume this means that I have to save my pennies for another light?
Lenny

B@rt

Flashaholic

Search for U2 in the LED forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
It's a SureFire light with variable brightness settings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

And no longer hot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... it can burn a hole in the panties of good old Satan himself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif ... definitely one hot running light!
bk

StEaLtH_

Enlightened

I agree the L4 is still a very cool and unique flashlight.
Just an amazing flood for close distances.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Only if you let them run long enough.

dougmccoy

Enlightened

If the review of the Night Ops light that will be brought out by Blackhawk is anything to go by then I think the U2 will have serious competition?
Personally I think Surefire has need to be worried!
Doug

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
If the review of the Night Ops light that will be brought out by Blackhawk is anything to go by then I think the U2 will have serious competition?
Personally I think Surefire has need to be worried!
Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

The U2 is, from my understanding, a light with six SET levels of brightness. The Gladius is, on the other hand, a programmable light which will go through several different functions depending on which menu you've accessed - more akin to a more flexible Arc 4+ than a U2.

Still, it looks interesting. More so than the L4, at least to me. Sorry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened

The point I was trying to make is that the U2 is being hailed by many as the next evolutionary step by Surefire in the one light does all concept. (we all know that isn't possible dont we?)anyway if everthing I've read about the Gladius is right including the protection circuit to protect the LED from overheating in case of accidental activation then I'm afraid my vote goes to the Gladius.
I also suspect that many of the features of the Gladius inclusing strobing will attract many LEO's/Military operators.
Incidentally my apologies 'cos I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Doug

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

No problem - the L4 probably doesn't seem 'hot' because it's been around so long, and thus everyone who wanted one initially's probably picked up one by now... or moved onto an L5, L2, or L6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The U2's supposed to be modular from the get-go, which is why people are hailing it as Surefire's next evolution in LED lighting technology. The extra light levels, all regulated, are a godsend to anyone who's using it as a 'jack of all trades' concept (reading maps needs but a few lumens, shining it across a hundred yards requires a lot more).

The Gladius' design makes it a completely different sort of beast - it's a programmable light designed for a different sort of mission. I doubt the U2 was designed for police officers, while the Gladius' concept and some of its features seem to be geared more towards the professional market (bright light with some flexibility, one-handed control of major functions, overheat protection).

sslavers

Newly Enlightened

just put my kl4 head on my new fb2 from vital gear and fell in love all over again. sometimes i forget how useful having a flood beam instead of a tight beam is.

tadbik

Enlightened

Now that the winter is closing in, I'm going to be using my L4 for heating when the power goes out. As a bounus, I get light too!

Kiessling

Flashaholic

As far as we know right now the Gladius doesn't alow for easy access to the different brightness levels, it needs two settings of the tailcap and the button to achieve the function of the single clickie on the U2, it produces less lumens and who needs strobe here on CPF anyway?
It sure sounds interesting, but as long as I have not heard back from members who own one, my vote goes to the L4 and U2 any day ... I know SF lights, I know I can trust them.
bernhard