Arc AAA flicker

Status
Not open for further replies.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a black body red LED Arc AAA at B/S/T. The thing flickers. I cleaned the contacts with an eraser and put in a new Lithium and it still flickers. I recall reading something about older Arcs having some sort of prob like this. This one has the circumferential writing "L.E.D. *Arc* Flashlight, LLC".

So, is this thing deceased or is there something I can do to it (other than send out for modding)?

best regards

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the output look like? Bright?

Overdriven LEDs flickers when they are about to die. Look at cars third brake light, some flickers.

Aside from that it could just be the crimp or perhaps foam problem, check out this thread DIY Maintenance: The Arc-AAA hope it helps.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
koala said:Overdriven LEDs flickers when they are about to die. Look at cars third brake light, some flickers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this right?
....this was so common, that I thought it was a new feature for getting attention /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

cy

Flashaholic
see the ARC faq under aaa maintenace

lights older than one year have no chip problems

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx for the info. Output has been extremely weak ever since I got this light a few days ago. Its not flickering now - sorta like how your car runs just fine the minute you drive it to the shop. I'll investigate further.

If it croaks, it will be a candidate for modding. Or, I could list it on ebay as an extremely rare Arc that emits light at a frequency undetectable to the human eye and all electronic sensors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

best regards

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure you got a RED? UV can be very dim too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What is the seller's comment about it?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was billed as red, and looks red to me. Just dim. Maybe 5% - 10% of the output of a white AAA; but in my experience, red lights never appear too bright. I'm not contacting the seller. He's well-respected and I don't believe he was trying to stiff me. Its not the end of the world if this thing croaks.

best regards

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
This could very well be the crimp-ring problem. The fix is not hard and is detailed in the DIY link provided above.

rodmeister

Enlightened
I just experienced a crimp ring problem. I was heartbroken when my intermittant CPF ARC AAA finally died last week. I read the DYI post and tried the suggestion by "Michael" of rolling the lip of the head at a 45 degree angle on a hard object, a Leatherman blade in my case. My ARC AAA came back to life and is actually brighter than new - the ground was probably weak when new.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll investigate the crimp ring (if I can tear myself away from CFP and stop impulse-buying). I use this light each evening to patrol the dark halls of the Powernoodle Compound.

best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.