Luxeon bin?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone explain this bin selection thing with the Luxeon series. And why there's this (green or blue) tint with them?

chiphead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
LEDs, like many semiconductor products, are "binned" or sorted into varying groups based on performance characteristics due to "natural" variations in the manufacturing process.

Typically, LEDs are binned based on color/tint, Vf, and flux (brightness). Generally speaking, higher flux and lower Vf are desirable attributes (more light, less power = greater efficiency) - but due to the uncontrollable variations in manufacturing (as well as trying to maximize yield), there are only so many of these.

Here's my terse guide to Luxeon bin codes.

White LEDs have a tendency towards blue tints because they're really a blue LED coated with a yellow phosphor. Oftentimes manufactuters skimp on the phosphor or don't use very good phosphor, so the blue tint is strongly visible.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
My new XM-3 has a greenish tint to it, what does this indicate?

chiphed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
My new XM-3 has a greenish tint to it, what does this indicate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the tint becomes more pronounced at lower power levels. A slight tint is hard to avoid. YOu can probably replace the LED with a whiter (from the W0 or Y0 bins) one if the green bothers you.

Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
So far, the highest Lux III that I've heard of was a T. Come to think of it. I've only seen S and T flux ratings in the Lux III.

All X bins are LuxV.

The brightest 1 watt lux that I've heard of is an R bin.

There may be better that I just have not heard of yet.

Daniel

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One of the modders around here (I think it was Lambda) came across some U-binned LuxIIIs at some point.

I'd wait for some new products from Lumileds instead of mythical bins suddenly becoming available.