Firefox V1.0, 3 million downloads in 1st 5 days

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Firefox V1.0, 3 million downloads in 1st 5 day

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif Go competition!

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

To save me some leg work, will I need to uninstall my earlier vers prior to upgrading? Can I download the 1.0 (via my earlier vers) prior to uninstalling my earlier? (The CWS varient I have really sucks and I dread opening IE(!) which results in an immediate reinfestation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif )

Larry (Color me computer stupid.)

cy

Flashaholic

after downloading firefox v1.0. you need to uninstall earlier version of firefox. before installing the latest version.

firefox bookmarks and setting are stored in the windows systems folder. so you can uninstall firefox without losing your settings.

if firefox is not installed on your system, simply click to install. firefox will import bookmarks and browser settings from IE.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you uninstall the previous version of Firefox without deleting the Firefox directory, all of your old extensions and plug-ins will be preserved. I've done this through several upgrades with no problems at all. You may still need to upgrade any extensions that aren't compatible with the latest version of Firefox, but that is easier than reinstalling them from scratch.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

How is ver. 1.0 working out? I'm leary of loading in the first version of any program. Any problems getting rid of IE? How is their e-mail program?

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Firefox 1.0 is not a first version. I've been using it since version 0.9. Then there was 0.9.2, 0.9.3, then 1.0PR. Firefox has been around for a while.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Roy,

1.0 is more of a final version. Everything before it has been building up to it. Thunderbird, Mozilla's e-mail program is good, but to me it's nothing particularly special. You should give it a try and see if it is what you are looking for.

cy

Flashaholic

excellent suggestion not to delete Firebird's folder when upgrading.

Firefox V1.0 has been a long time coming. Lot's of pre-release versions before reaching V1.0. I've been using Firefox, since V.3 when it was called Phoenix. Lot's of improvement along the way.

Thunderbird, Mozilla's email client is very stable and has a baylean/intelligent spam filter.

IMHO Thunderbird has the best spam handling system available. I get 200+ spam per day. Out of that garbage, I have to personally label 2-3 cleverly written spam as junk mail.

I enable the option for Thunderbird not to load images in email.

most importantly I almost never get false positives. you have to pick out real emails in trash during the training period. After training is done, you almost never have to double check for false positives.

if there is another email client better, I'm not aware of it.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am a long way from a computer expert. I had Firefox 0.8, and was a little leary of uninstalling it and downloading 1.0. However, I finally did, and it has worked with not problems. I prefer the Tabs setup of o.8 over the 1.0. However, it is a good browser.

I might add that I am using Outlook Express for my email, and in spite of many who criticize it, I continue to prefer it to others that I have tried. I have not tried Firebird.

I also have on my computer NS 7.1 and IE 6. However, I almost never use those browsers since I got Firefox.

Jerry