I'm not feeling too well right now...

JOshooter

Enlightened
I\'m not feeling too well right now...

I've just started to come down with a cold, and I feel like crap. Are there any strange remedies to at least improve my mental health? (i.e. Make me at least feel better?)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I\'m not feeling too well right now...

stay logged on to CPF. Works for me!! Also funny movies are a good diversion. I hope you feel better soon!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

try some hot chocolate or coffee or tea, a little caffeine may improve how you feel mentally and the heat may help if the cold is in the sinuses or throat.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

If its a sinus thing, I would recommend smoking. I normally do not smoke when I get sick, but tried it one day as I thought I had sars or something. Man I took a big puff and blew all the stuff out of my system right on to my carpet. After that i could breathe well. Also notice that I dont cough when I smoke, but only afterwards.

Also protein drinks seem to help me, physically.

As for mentally, I have no idea. I guess you could always over dose on cough medicine and trip out or something....

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Powdered Deer Testicles

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two or three cups of strong peppermint tea one after the other. And also some advil or tylenol maybe. Hope you get well soon.

Zackerty

Enlightened

Garlic and Chillies, and lots of 'em!!
I eat Thai or Cayenne chillies with most meals, and I cleared up a spastic colon as a result, without intending to! ( too much info!)

A good remedy is to take a teaspoon each of ground chillie powder or even cayenne pepper, honey, ginger and a good squirt of lemon. Mix with a spoon , and pour in freshly boiled water over the top, about an inch. Stir till all mixed well, and swallow. Tingles in the throat, and nose runs like a marathon.
My wife, who does not eat chillies at all, swears by ( and at!) the Remedy from Hell!
BTW, milk or products thereof, build up mucus, and so teas and coffees should be milk free when you are trying to get over colds or 'flu's.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

drnk so mkcu water that ya get bored wityh it i mean lots and lots of liquids

Jefff

Enlightened

here is what I do .. I have serious sinus allergies!.. about 1/2 cup hot water.. 1 table spoon of sea salt.. disolve into hot water . then add a bit of cold water to make it warm .. put to nose and tilt head back a tad.. then sniff... get ready for pain .. lol omg it burns! but it makes me feel so much better.. follow up by lots of water intake.. and Maximum Strength Allergy Sinus tabs .. non drowsey I take the offbrand compared to Tylenol allergy sinus.. and it works as good for half the price..

whiskypapa3

Enlightened

Try my Irish Grandfather's trick.

Get a couple of fifths of rot-gut rye whiskey, go in the bedroom, close door, hang hat on doorknob and pour a generous slug. Drink generous slug. Repeat generous slugs until you see two hats. When you see only one hat, another generous slug.

Doesn't cure the cold but sure makes you forget about it...

JOshooter

Enlightened

Thank's for the suggestions, I feel a lot better now, it hopefully was a short term deal and won't come back.

As for some of the remedies, wow, they are truely strange!

flashlight_widow

Enlightened

I'm a bit late to this thread, but generally when I feel a cold or sinus problems coming on, I load up on the vitamin C and echinacea (herb that is supposed to boost your immune system & fight off colds). Tom's of Maine makes a great liquid echinacea supplement - tastes foul but I swear by it! Odwalla also puts out a pretty tasty vitamin c bottled juice smoothie.

My dad swears by zinc supplements, but I have yet to try that one. I'm sure I'll get a chance later this winter, though!

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

not strange, but if it's a headcold the the Zycam nose spray works terrific. It doesn't help at all for a cough (which is what I'm suffering right now) but if you have the sore throat, sinus type thing then it really does what the commercials claim.

I just can't do the zinc cough drop stuff, it's so foul. But the nose spray isn't that bad, and it really does help. It's actually the ONLY thing besides time and sleep that makes a noticeable difference in my head colds.

As far as just treating the symptoms while you're in the worst of it, the only thing that really works for me to clear up my nose is Claritin-D, or any of the generic knockoffs. the sams club brand is great, I always have a big box in the medicine cabinet right next to eh Zycam for when I start to feel the next one coming on.

Course like any other decongestant it will make you feel weird, and for every bit of stuff your nose doesn't get, your mouth gets 10 times dryer. So again, just to treat the worse symptoms, but get onto the Zycam as soon as possible.

It's worth the $9 they charge for a spray bottle of it, it really is. I've never noticed the herbs or teas or anything else to actually work to make you better faster (although some lemon zinger and honey is delicious and can make you feel better while you're enjoying it) but the Zycam definitely has an effect.

JOshooter

Enlightened

Right now I'm using the Zycam nose goo (really is the best way to describe it). I'll have print some of these out to keep as reference in the future.

lightnix

Enlightened

I got hit by a cold yesterday, the first for 18 months and am sitting here shivering with the heating on right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

I go heavy on inhalants when I get a cold - a bowl of hot water with a couple of (tiny) menthol crystals or a few drops of Olbas Oil twice a day, morning and evening. That helps keep the tubes clear.

I spice up my tea with slices of root ginger, a couple of cloves and a sprinkle of black pepper. Hot Toddies are a favourite, too (Scotch Whisky, lemon juice, honey, hot water, ginger, cloves and black pepper as above. Or of course there's the old favourite, port and brandy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drunk.gif

What I find really helps is a good sweat. I take two or three paracetomol tablets before bed, a caffeine pill (optional) and wash them down with a cup of piping hot cocoa (spiced as above if you like). Then I put on two T-shirts, a sweat shirt and jog pants, put an extra duvet on the bed, turn up the heating and wrap myself up snug. I generally wake up soaking wet in the morning, but boy do I feel better.

Get well soon.

turbodog

Flashaholic

ULTRA hot shower, and I mean SMOKIN'

sort of like an instant fever

dunno how dangerous this is, caveat empor

danielo_d

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
ULTRA hot shower, and I mean SMOKIN'

sort of like an instant fever

dunno how dangerous this is, caveat empor

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like being in a sauna, which in someway is good. Talk about an extreme humidifier.
Last winter season our then two-year old had the croop [sp?] something fierce. B.T.W. Croop is a really nasty sounding cough.
Advice nurse suggested taking her into a steamy bathroom just for that effect. Worked fine. Note: empty steamy shower, so she wasn't at risk of being scalded. ...bathroom was really steamy.
Hope this helps...
Get_Better.GIF

Lots o' liquids definitely and maybe at least maintain average vitamin intake.

...again, hope you get better.