The new Surefire KL5 head...............

edison

Enlightened
I'm considering buying one of these, even though they are expensive. What kind of throw can I expect? I've tried the search function but haven't had any luck. I've got a 6P with P60 and P61, so how does the KL5 head compare to these in terms of throwing ability? The KL5 is big, expensive, and it's a 5W; so the emitter life probably won't be the greatest. However, I'll buy one if it is a good thrower.

Another option I've considered, (since I'm basically just trying to get a durable shock-resistant LED module that throws well onto the end of my 6P), is to buy one of the drop in 3W custom rigs for Surefire heads that I've seen advertised in the B/S/T forum. I remember seeing one recently advertised by tylerdurden. Does anyone here have any experience with these? It looks cheaper for one, and the 3W setup should last longer that the 5W KL5. However, what can I expect in terms of weatherproofness and reliability? And throw, of course. What I'm really after is pure throwing ability in a 2x123 LED rig. Thanks.

Catman10

Enlightened
Hi edison,
You might want to buy an Aleph 3 or even 1 head and a light engine from McGizmo or one of the other individuals that sell them (I think Chop, Darell and Tyler Durden do). You can put the head on your Surefire body, and I garauntee that the throw will impress you. Especially the Aleph 3. You will get more throw gains through the reflectors than through the Light Engines. I believe that these will also be reliable and fairly weatherproof, although they haven't really been around for all that long, for anyone to say for sure. I am also into throw and have ordered 3 Alephs now, and am very happy with each of the ones that I have recieved so far (one still coming). It was worth not eating for a week.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Catman- He's asking about a head for a 6P. Aleph heads won't work with that.

edison- *generally* speaking, the LuxIII is a better thrower than the LuxV, which tends to have more of a flood pattern to the beam due to the die setup for the LuxV. You're probably looking at getting a LuxIII with a downboy 917 or so and a large reflector for good throw from an LED. I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
For maximum throw with 2x123, the Aleph 3 with a Luxeon III is the way to go. However, the Aleph 3 head will not fit on your 6P body. If you really want to use the 6P body, you have two options - a modded KL3 with a 27mm reflector or the drop-in McCapsule with the modified 27mm reflector (works with your existing 6P head). These will throw a good bit, but not quite as much as the Aleph 3.

Also note that if you go with the Aleph 3 and it's associated body and tailcap, you get the two-stage switch. This gives it another big advantage over the 6P, IMO.

All of these options are roughly equal in weatherproofness. They will all be able to survive a dunk or two, but aren't dive-rated. Reliability will be similar for all of them as well.

PM me and I can quote you some prices on specific configurations.

Miciobigio

Enlightened
He is asking for a comparo between 6P and KL5.

Someone mentioned the Aleph3 so here some beamshots of the Aleph3 750 and 1000 3w Vs the SF E2E.

Note that the Aleph3 NG1000 3W produce more then 6000 lux at 1 meter , a lot more then the KL5 .

e2color.jpg

Aleph3color.jpg

These are Black and White
e2old.jpg

A3NG1000.jpg

edison

Enlightened
WHOA! I just checked out a picture of the Aleph 3, nice rig but that bezel is huge! I could be mistaken, but it looks even bigger, (in diameter), than a KL5. Although it probably is shorter. I know I'll have to accept a bulky shape to get the best throw, but the Aleph 3 head crosses the line.

Thanks for the beamshots, Miciobigio. I guess you posted the E2 beam because it's close to a P60 beam? If so, the Aleph 3 is definitely much tighter and brighter. But where will the KL5 sit in comparison to the P60/P61 for throwing ability? If I can't come by a reasonably compact LED module that will also best the P60/61 in throw, then I may not upgrade at all until something better comes out. This would be unfortunate, since the shock-resistance and long life of an LED setup is most desirable. And the 27mm McModule? Any chance of a beamshot comparison with a P60/P61?

Miciobigio

Enlightened
Here we go !!!!!

G2-P60 Vs Aleph1 NG1000

NB the Aleph1 is smaller then the G2-P60 and still brighter ( the Aleph3 is brighter then the Aleph1 , and the G2 is more bright then the E2 )

Man , you need an Aleph1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

11180006.jpg

G2.jpg

a1old.jpg

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi edison,
The KL5 head is a fine one. It is very versatile in what it will fit and is very bright and white. It throws very well but if you're looking for a real flame thrower, there's others as mentioned above that will out-throw it. I find the KL5 to be a very good balance of throw and size.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL5 will put out a LOT more total light than any Lux III, but the Lux III will produce a much tighter beam and hence throw much further given the same reflector.
Also note that the Lux III will run longer and cooler than the KL5 on the same set of 2x123 batteries.

The Aleph 3 head is big, but it's not huge. It's only a little bit bigger than a M2 head. It does tend to look gigantic in pictures, but remember that the aleph body is much thinner than the 6P.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
One advantage of the KL5, you can put the Surefire F70 (loose fit) or FM64? (preferred) beam shapers on it. Gives you two flashlights in one (flood and spot).

You can also use the McE2S two stage tail cap, by putting the KL5 bezel on the L4, E2, E2E, E2D, E2O body, using the E2C adapter. Combined with the beam shaper, this makes one very flexible flashlight.

oldgrandpajack

PS: The F68 traffic cone also fits the KL5 bezel.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well ... I'd say Aleph or U2 .... no KL5 ... think U2 ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard