What's the deal with eggnog?

fuelblender

Enlightened
Re: What\'s the deal with eggnog?

My educated guess is that eggnog is a traditional holiday drink consumed during Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's just not in demand enough the rest of the year for those who would like some. It would be like someone attempting to go "trick or treating" during July.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

My local market was outta stock today. grrrrrrr (It goes well as a diluent for scotch/bourbon/rum, etc.)

Larry

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast

I drink as much eggnog as I can during the holidays, simply because I can't get it any other time of the year. I love that stuff!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gman,

I feel your pain. The little varmints in the house are always asking (sometimes demanding it) and the only other time I've seen it was during Easter. It should be a standard drink like chocolate milk.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

"Borden" produces eggnog in a 1 quart can, sterilized and all that preservation stuff...has an extremely long shelf life. I just fetched a can out of my garage that I know I bought last year and it's shelf expiration date is Feb. 01, 2005.

Take a look around and stock up! Now that the Holidays are upon us...and since you brought this subject up...I'm gonna' go fix me a little glass and maybe "spice" it up a bit!

raggie33

*the raggedier*

it is to swet for me.like drinking icecream or something

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Update on the "Borden" canned nog...not that great! It's "okay" if you don't have any fresh nog, but the fresh is hard to beat!

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sig,

Thanks for the update, I've worried about the salmonella risk with fresh eggs and DIY, although I've never had any problems and it's always been good (just have to make sure the eggs are clean).

So, if it's a question of taste, well, it's worth taking the risk (which is likely close to zero).

E

EchoSierraTwo

I can get it all year round. But I would rather make it myself. its easy to do. Great for making french toast by the eay fellas. Yum, yum! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's one kind that's around all year here in Ohio. I think it comes in a chrome and red carton . .

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you're worried about bugs in the eggs, then you should use pasteurized eggs. You can use these for making your own mayonnaise or anything that has raw egg in it. If you or I get hit with a dose of salmonella we'll just spend a couple of days counting the floor tiles in the bathroom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif but if someone very young or very elderly or otherwise with immune system problems does then it can kill them.

They sell them at regular grocery stores, they are only slightly more expensive than regular eggs and the only difference you'll notice is a very slight clouding in the white. Otherwise they seem to behave exactly the same as regular eggs. The chances are slim that you'll hit a bad egg (but they don't have any smell or any other indication that they are bad! They will just make you sick later) but who wants to be responsible for sending their entire extended family home with food poisoning?

I think they would be perfect for egg nog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif And I'm so interested in the idea that I'm going to make my own with a soy milk base instead of cream this year. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I can't eat large quantities of cow creamy things anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

James, good point!

I was thinking/concerned about making it myself and the use of pasteurized eggs had never crossed my mind!

Now I can try B@rt's tasty recipe and others as well! Thanks!