Gifts for the Family

dim

Enlightened
It started with the storms this past summer. Fortunately, the Dorcy 4D spot/flood lantern that I got for one of my dad's last birthdays, suspended from the ceiling fan, performed well for the two nights of blackout conditions while I kept mom company on both occasions. With me, I brought to the party some 2AA flashlights and Mom had me put in Ds and Cs into her collection of dim, dimmer, and dead cheap plastic flashlights. Shining one of her lights, leaving nothing more that a brown stain on the wall, she commented "It's bright". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I knew there had to be something better. Wasn't there something about LEDs?.... One search is all it took to find my way here.

Now, 'tis the season. For the most part, it's easy.... flashlights for everyone! For the active people in my life, SL Jr. Luxs. In the pocket, in the purse, in the bookbag... bright for its size and price, it has a broad, soft spot, AA batts, and a clickie!. For the little girl, who has exhibited difficulties with the Brinkman clickie on my MiniMag and who is not likely to keep battery economy in mind, I think a Gerber Trio might work well for her.

As for mom, while I think perhaps a Nuwai AT-100 may have her name on it, she might be more difficult to find that "perfect" light for. Moving from one dim light to the next as batteries die and bulbs blow, I don't think she has actually change batteries in a light, let alone changing a bulb. While I think most of us would be able to change batteries with our eyes closed, I wonder how easy it is to change the 4AA batteries in the carriage of the AT-100 with a shaky hand and an unsteady demeanor. Also, while some review sites have given the AT-100 good reviews, few to no numbers have been given for lumens, lux or even "qups". How bright is the Nuwai compared to say a Maggie 2D on a comparable flood setting? Also while the claimed battery life for all 10 LEDs is 25 hours, after how long would one want to change batts. The Trio is my "fall back" position for a flashlight for mom.

As with a light for mom, and everyone for that matter, if you have better ideas and suggestions, please let me know. Your comments on the lights that I mentioned and any other lights that you can suggest would be appreciated. And yes, budget is a consideration.

I need help! I know I've come to the right place......

dim

True story -

On the stairs of my sister's home, atop a stack of homework left by my youngest nephew, was a piece of paper. On it was printed only this:

"A light beam that is blazing hot is my imaginary friend!".

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dim,

I will echo the welcome to CPF as well.

Some of the best lights to pass around and stuff in stockings are the www.countycomm.com key chain lights. They run $20 for 20 lights and work quite well.

Tom

dim

Enlightened
Yes, I am familiar with many of the review sites, including, of course, Quickbeam's excellent flashlightreviews.com. Thank you Quickbeam! And I learned about Nuwai's AT-100 from Zelandeth's site.

Hello Hoghead, greenLED, SilverFox and everyone.

As a reader and member of several forums, most of them radio related, I think that this forum is amazing with some of the best members of any forum on the Net. I mean that its members even give away their treasured lights to those in a bind. That's not something one sees every day on the Net, but is a common occurrence here!.

With a budget in mind and several loved ones and friends on "the list", I cannot give everyone Key-Luxs, E2s, or even X5s and the like. More like "bang for the buck", useful, fun, and not go into the draw and forgotten about once the first set of batts die or the bulb blows. Any insights, particularly from experience, that anyone has for the lights that I mentioned in my first post, SL Jr. Lux, Gerber Trio, Nuwai AT-100 or any othe suggestions that you migh have would be appreciated.

What lights are you giving this season for those on your "list"? Perhaps a Diamond 10x for the ladies, SL Jr.s for the teens, Dorcy's AAA for everyone and a, umm, lets see, a Maggie 4D for the brother-in-law /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. And for yourself? Perhaps a QIII or maybe a Strion....

Personally I wouldn't mind a Yaesu FT-897. Well, I've been good, but not THAT good.

dim

KDC

Newly Enlightened
The SL Jr Lux is very good; in addition the SL 4-AA 7-LED model gives a wide
flood, very useful indoors and uses common batteries. Also, the UK 4-AA eLED
will give over 10 hours of good but not blazing light and is available for
about $20. Both of these are in my inventory of lights to be given this year.