LED version of the SF M6

CQB

Enlightened
hey! maybe a dumb question but what the heck? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Is there an LED version of the SF M6? I mean, other than the SF L6.

And by "version" I am referring to a LED FL that is similar in size, is run by 'x'# of 123s, and is known to emit a wall of light with decent throw as well... a beam that is as close as we can get to the intensity of the SF M6's beam.

As the SF M6 is used by many LEOs for high stress ops such as a drug house raid, is there an LED light that any of you guys would suggest could be used for that same type of application?

I dunno. It's kinda late. And at this moment, this question appears to make sense. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tks & be safe.
CQB

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i've read on the forum and seen a pic of a SF M6 with a KL6. i think it gave 65 lumens for 6 hours?? i'm sure someone can correct me on the lumens and runtime.

d'mo

Enlightened
Probably the closest thing I can think of is PK's Photon King. AFAIK, there were only two, one in PK's posession, the other auctioned off right here on CPF as a benefit. IIRC, it went for over $2000.00!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the Photon King 1, of which only two custom ones were ever made, I think that LEDs still have a long way to go before they'll approach the blinding power of the M6. LEDs have to at least quadruple their output power again (over today's brightest) before they will be in the M6's class.

As for what the future holds, I won't speculate, but today, incans are still the ones that put out ludicrous amounts of light.

Free

Enlightened
I suggest you check out Elektrolumens QUAD.

It is the closest thing, that I have in my collection, and really puts our a wall of light. I believe it is putting out at least 250 lumens.

unnerv

Enlightened
I don't think there will be one coming any time soon. I tried to create a led light that would compete with the M6 by using three 5W W bin luxeons overdriven to 1000ma. While my light is very bright, the M6 that someone brought to a get together was definately brighter when we compared. I can still kill a M3T no problem. I haven't tried against a M4. If you are interested in seeing some beam shots of my light against a M3T and a UFOKillers MiniHID take a look at this thread

cy

Flashaholic
kakster has an M6 modded w/an Xbin.

MR-X X3T puts out light aprox. same as M6 w/250 lumen bulb. M6 may be brighter for the first few minutes, then it evens out.

Barbolight U-09 is in the running with the big boys. Very bright!! easily equal to M6 for robust build. M6 will be brighter than U-09, but Barbolight is the same pack.

Barbolight has the advantage of cheap rechargeable 5,000 mah nmh cell is $4.20ea. way longer runtime of 2hours.

Free

Enlightened
Here is the Quad VS the M6. I have the only Silver Quad, the rest will be black.

Quad%20M6.JPG

M6%20Quad.JPG

Quad%20VS%20M6.JPG

The Quad actually looks a bit stronger in these pictures than it really is. The M6 definately has more throw, but up close they appear to put out a similar amount of light. (the M6 is on the right).

CQB

Enlightened
Wow! Wayne's QUAD really does put out a wall of light! Nice! THanks for the pics Free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Of course, the M6 is still a tad smaller than the Quad though. But beam vs beam, for close to mid range, it looks like they're both comparable. Yes I would expect the M6 to have greater throw. And I just really dig the way the M6 looks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dig the way the Surefire Turboheads look from the front.. there is something about their construction that just looks awesome, this huge slab of Pyrex and the deep reflector well. The KT1 I'm using looks just like the M6 in the picture, too.

Are those NX05 optics in the Quad potted in epoxy? It looks like, or is that glow powder?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse me for a few more questions but I went looking for info on the Quad and didn't turn up very much at all. What's the power source and electronics package behind it? For $150 it looks like a good deal. Who makes it and can they be obtained with SO17XA/SO20XA reflectors?

lak

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Excuse me for a few more questions but I went looking for info on the Quad and didn't turn up very much at all. What's the power source and electronics package behind it? For $150 it looks like a good deal. Who makes it and can they be obtained with SO17XA/SO20XA reflectors?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is made by Elektrolumens and you can find the discussion here . It is basically a 2D Maglite mods with 2x 3toD batteries holders - i.e. 6 AA NiMh in total. It is direct drive. Wayne mentioned that S017XA could be used, but he felt optics do a better job.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip, had some problems with CPF search and the SQL errors earlier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif