Nuwai Q-III UnderDriven......????

beam_me_up

Enlightened
Hello, after reading The Led Museum review on a similar Nuwai 3 Watt flashlight it appears our poor Q-III's are underdriven. He has data showing the TM-115X model achieving 1,457,000mcd where as our Q-III's are measuring 658,000mcd. I know this also probably has to do with the tightness of the beam, but I wonder how much more juice we could put into this Q-III to get it's full potential? Maybe someone can explain to me if i'm right or wrong on this situation, but I'd love to push this baby to the max. I have some higher capacity rechargeable 123 cells arriving shortly but even those seem as if they may underdrive the light. So am I right or am I wrong...is this light not living up to it's potential? After all they advertise 75 lumens and you don't get that many out of the box.

http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/second/tm115.htm
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/quantum3.htm

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
you can't compare the lux because it isn't the measure of the total output. the tm-115x have a larger and smooth reflector that allow a beam to be very tight.

it is true that the Q-III is underdrived, i think at less than 2W, also we must consider the inefficiency of the boost circuit

if you use R123A i can suggest to direct drive the led for avoid the energy-loss and gain in autonomy

for example in my Q-III i run a lux-I at about 600-700mA (2,1-2,5W) or a lux-III at 900-1000mA (3,2-3,6W) with good autonomy

the only disavantage is that i can't use CR123A until i re-use the boost circuit

sherpa

Newly Enlightened
@ davidefromitaly
Did you make a runtime test with the DD and Rechargeables? Does a Direct Drive harm the LED in any way?

AW

Newly Enlightened
I would check the Vf of the LS first and do something about the heat sinking before DD my Q-III.