Can we actually define EDC?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
With the advent of the U2 many posts are appearing stating that the U2 will become their new EDC. Many folks have actually gone so far as to redefine what EDC means to them. However I'm getting confused! Although one could define the term EDC quite simply, i.e. what light you have on you most of the time. However I have always been of the opinion that most CPF'ers wanted a small maximum output light which would/could always be on them no matter what their attire and whatever they were doing.
Obviously the U2 can and will be able to replace 2 or 3 lights. But does that make it a real EDC or are we (CPF'ers) just moving the goalposts as to what we now will consider an EDC?
Just a thought!
Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that an EDC light IS a " small maximum output light which would/could always be on them no matter what their attire and whatever they were doing" but, to EDC a light or to refer to ones own personal EDC light just means that the light they carry everyday. Some people have jobs that might require that they carry a spotlight in a napsack everyday. Or somepeople do have to carry a napsack or other large kitbag that enables them to expand there definition of edc. To edc a light is a testament of a lights usefullness and durability under particular circumstances so I suppose that when someone states that they edc a very unusual not-typically-edc'd light they should explain there situation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider EDC to be, quite literally, everyday carry. The light that's always on you.

However, the maximum permissible size of the EDC is definitely a very personal choice which will vary from user to user. This size is subject to change over time. I recall thinking "that's a darn big light for keychain-carry" when I first got my E1e. However, it offered so much more power above and beyond my Solitaire and Photon 1 that I said.. heck, I'll accomodate it. The Ever-Expanding-E1e then grew in length with the addition of a KL1 and Z57, and each time I said I need the features, I'll live with it.

The next big step up was the Surefire C2. 105 lumens of rechargeable power is just too difficult to give up, so again, I found a way. The U2 replaced the C2, but even if I didn't get the C2, I love the U2's features so much that yes, I'd move the goalposts to accomodate it. If you'd told me to carry a C2/U2/6P 9 months ago, I'd have said it's not gonna happen.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

That's why I think what these folks mean is that the U2's featureset and capabilities are forcing them to reconsider the maximum size of what they'll EDC. Not everybody will carry a large light, and I respect that. I usually start newbies off with a Photon 2 because it is so unobtrusive and is the equivalent of an additional key on their key ring. We can always scale up from there to bigger and brighter things once they are used to it.

PS: The max size also varies with dress code. I may not want the U2 on me while wearing a shirt and tie, so that's where I'll get an Executive-series light to fill in.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC will likely always match Doug's description. For me an EDC must fit, unobtrusively, in a pants pocket or in a small holster on my belt. Even on my belt I prefer the smallest possible size.

An Arc AAA or similar is about it for my pocket although I'd like to try a TnC N cell on for size. The Arc LS is just right for belt carry, however, I've streached my acceptable limits to Q III size. At work I will up that to an E2 or, occasionally, G2/Scorp size.

That's the limit for me but others can tolerate bigger lights and it could be that for our rarified class of users, EDC sizes could be milli-metering upwards.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC is fluid, IMO. EDC for a police officer might be a magcharger on a belt loop, but this combination wouldn't work out so well in an office environment. My definition of EDC is whatever I'm going to find on your person on any given day, not only at work or only at home. If you were randomly stopped at any given time, not counting special out of the ordinary circumstances, what would you have in your possession? That's what you EDC. .

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC to me is what I have "on my body". Not what is in my sling bag or car. It has to be what I carry day-to-day no matter what I am wearing. Work, church or days off, what I have on me is my EDC.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I define my EDC as the light I have on my person whenever I am dressed. It doesn't matter if I'm at work, home, at a wedding or funeral, etc. The only lights that I consider my EDC lights are my FF-2 with CR123 and aluminum collar and a Lux-III modified Arc-AAA bezel attached to a Peak LED Solutions AAA body. That's it, period, end of story.

For me, anything larger than the FF-II with CR123 is just too darn big to EDC. As small as the Arc LSHP is/was, I considered that too large for my EDC requirements. When I did carry the LSH, is was via a belt pouch.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't think you could define EDC but only a light that he/she can carry concealed or unconcealed with their attire. What may be EDC for me may not be for you. My SL JR LUXEON fit's easily in my top shirt or pants pocket. Some people may think it is too long. I don't think you could define in terms of size! There are plenty of LEO's that have an UltraStinger of Stinger hooked to their duty belts so...

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC means every day carry- what a person will carry with them every day.

The characteristics of the light that actually is the EDC will depend on:

1) The max. size- will the light be carried in a pocket, on a keychain, on the belt, in a briefcase or man-purse or belt pack, or in a toolbox.

2) How much light is needed- enough to light up a stairwell if the power goes out, enough to look inside of a computer/electric panel/heater/etc., enough to observe things inside of a large but somewhat dark factory, something to spot wildlife with way out there.

3) How often will it be used and for how long- will one hour of battery runtime be OK, will a person need several hours of runtime, will it be used so much that it should be rechargeable.

For me it will be either in my pocket or in my briefcase, and will change from day to day depending on circumstances.

Consider that for us light-lovers (gadget-lovers) the fun is in the chase and not in having made a decision so don't feel that you have to define it and decide on one certain thing that will be the be-all, end-all.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying a U2 in my right front pants pocket for the past 3-4 weeks. Well, except when I have my coat on, where it stays in a security breast pocket. Not one person anywhere has made a comment about it. Dissappointing since I haven't had the chance to show it off, and surprising, since 1" is sticking out of my pocket.

Thank goodness EDC is a personal choice and we don't all have to agree!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
codeman
I couldn't agree more with you about personal choice. My post was to try to elucidate from fellow CPF'ers whether the accepted definition of EDC has now changed since larger more versatile lights, such as the U2 have arrived on the scene.

Doug

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only true EDC that I actually carry every day is the one on my keychain, an AAA Sonic.
However, I would say most 1-4 cell CR123a/AAA/AA/etc lights would fall in the EDC "pocket" category.

Personally, when I want to carry a flashlight, I prefer one closer to 6 inches in length. This size fits fine in my cargo pants and has the added advantages of good balance, fits well in the hand, and usually more power. I like the L2 (100 lumens) and C3 (200 lumens). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dougmccoy said:
codeman
I couldn't agree more with you about personal choice. My post was to try to elucidate from fellow CPF'ers whether the accepted definition of EDC has now changed since larger more versatile lights, such as the U2 have arrived on the scene.

Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever find a coat with enough pockets to carry about 10 knives, 5 flashlights, and a couple of Nikons, along with a magnifying glass and a few extra pockets, my definition will change!

Seriously, it's a good question. I guess I'll always see EDC as a simple term, but what fits within that will always vary, not only by individual, but by what new items are available. 20 years ago, I would never have imagined carry a couple of knives, a pair of flashlights, a ruler, a toothpick, a pen, a pair of scissors, tweezers, a straight pin, nail file, pliers, and 4 screwdrivers, but that's what I have with me in my Photon III, Sebertool, SwissCard, BM940BT, and my U2. Technology is awesome!

Maybe enough folks will respond so that we can see what the "average" EDC is.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good posts! I got into high end FL's about a yr and a half ago, joined CPF in i think april/may. I was pretty surprised
at the many version's of "EDC" member's had. BNJ7's about the closest to my idea of a EDC. When I started here, i was surprized at the many member's of what was too "big". Maybe I am in the Honeymoon period still since getting my first small bright LED light 2 yr's ago,But I would often see a thread on a "EDC" or small bright light and inevetably see post's saying "that's too big for EDC/keychain use, here's what i carry" After a couple of times seeing a pic of a set of key's with a (usually) ARC AAA, or N cell of some sort, attached to a keychain with either a big bart/homer simpson doll on it, or some multitool or other far bigger heavier object then the ultra G they said is too big/heavy for a KC.
So i quit worrying about the term, and carry what i want, or think is best for the day. And lately those days have been fine with a stock E1e, in a pocket or lanyard, and a (quickbeam easy mod) Modded solitaire on my KC.
I think as we all go farther into FLs we forget what we used to accept (and 99% of the world still does)as small and bright enough when we carried mini mag's and solitaire's, and forget how good we have it now. VDG