looking for 3 watt led light

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a 3 watt light (or conversion), with regulation, that runs from c or d cells. And EL lights do not seem to fit the bill.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Right now I'm flexible. But even with c cells..... you're talking about a big light. You would think that you'd want the smallest # of cells you could get by one, which means 2-3 cells. Which means boost regulation.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curoisity, why do Elektrolumens lights 'not seem to fit the bill'? The FT-3C is a great light... Good brightness, great throw, not too huge and good runtime.

skr

Newly Enlightened
The FT-3C is not regulated. The EL Hyper-Blaster-1R, however, does appear to be voltage regulated and runs from two 'D' cells. Perhaps the OP is looking for a current regulated light?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe you could build one, Turbodog.

if you could find a small-ish 2d or 2c, and use maybe a BB400 converter, a luxIII, and a nice thick heatsink...might be nice.

it also gives youthe choice of whatever optic you like.
I am considering a similar build myself. I love the idea of the long runtime you get with the big cells.

It is tempting to just buy an everled...but, side emitters arent my fave.

Bob

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everled?
But they do have lambertian versions now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Did you have a look at craigs site for a possible answer?
He has reviewed a number of lights of many sizes.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
There had been some jeers on these in the past for running hot, or not even working.
There appears to be some newer improved versions with more metal on them now.
But same problem, once that becomes heat saturated later, there's no place for the heat to go.
The magg bulb tower is plastic.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Ok,

I have a couple of the diamond units on the way. Flashlightreviews gave all of them high markings. Ledmuseum gave them very good marks as well. It appears that they do get hot, but lumen degradation is still several hundred hours out.

Anyone know the published max recommended temp for the lux1 and lux3 emitter?