Blind me - pocket rockets?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Surefire website, and saw the Centurion C3 with a P91 head for 200 lumens output. Sounds like a nice way to clear the snow off the driveway! And while bigger than most other SFs, it doesn't seem unreasonably large to a guy who carries a SF L4, a QIII and a Ultra G in his pockets 24-7. Anything else out there like this?

Skyline

Enlightened
I've carried a SF M3 in my coat pocket. It can be done, but it's definitely not an L4, QIII, or Ultra G. It's significantly larger.

Fyi, my typical carry is a SF G2Z in belt holster, Longbow Micra in pants pocket, and SF L4 in jacket pocket or backpack.

cdf

Enlightened
I often carry the M3 in my outside coat pocket . I mostly carry it to warm my coffee , or correct evildoers . The E1E with KL1 does the real work . Cant wait till i get my M6 .

Flashdark

Enlightened
MikeLip,

IMHO, the C3 is the most light for the money out there. It was one of my very first Surefires and I have never been sorry, and my C3 is NOT for sale. If I had to carry just one "power" light that would do everything, the C3/FM34 would be it. Yes, the M3 is 10-15% better all the way around, but the price/size/weight comparison will send you right back to the C3.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
cdf said:
I often carry the M3 in my outside coat pocket . I mostly carry it to warm my coffee , or correct evildoers . The E1E with KL1 does the real work . Cant wait till i get my M6 .

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey - I didn't think of warming coffee with it! Great idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW - it's defintely not pocket-sized, but placed an order for a Tristar Phaser just now. I suspect the SF is next. I don't think the TSP will be able to bring down the Deathstar, which is what anyone should be prepared to do at any time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Flashdark said:
MikeLip,

IMHO, the C3 is the most light for the money out there. It was one of my very first Surefires and I have never been sorry, and my C3 is NOT for sale. If I had to carry just one "power" light that would do everything, the C3/FM34 would be it. Yes, the M3 is 10-15% better all the way around, but the price/size/weight comparison will send you right back to the C3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect you're right - It's definitely on my buy list. Thanks!

Mike

FlaRe

Newly Enlightened
A surefire C2 centurion with a P91 lamp/reflector assembly using non-protected rechargeable cr123a lithium batteries.

Charger should be modded to fill the cell to 4.1-4.2v which will give you 15-16 minutes runtime before it goes dim.

Think of this as a compact version of the C3.

c2- tip to tip = 5.1 inches
c3- tip to tip = 6.4 inches

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
thesurefire said:
Will 8.2 volts run the P91 at spec?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are talking about the r123's, the protected one will only power the p90's, which i have with advice from KevinL, the unprotected r123 *may* do it, but you may find it unprodictable and the run time to be too short. The pila 150s's, however, is like a gift from God. Almost regulated 22 minutes of white light for the p91, is my EDC Now.

Nick

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, Nick has it figured out. The unprotected R123 will do it, but you're slapping the cells with extremely high discharge rates, above 3C. I'm not sure how long the cells will last, some say this shortens their life. If I had to do it again, I'd do it with different cells.

In fact, I did.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif though in a MUCH bigger package.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AtomSphere said:
how bout 6P with HOLA @ 120lumens? Very Small yet Powerful!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - looks interesting. I'll think about that option!

Mike

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Wait a minute, The Pila 150S fits in the space occupied in 3x123, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Two Pila 150S batteries are about the same length as 3x123. The reason I say about the same length is because two Pila 150S batteries will not fit in all 3x123 lights, but they will fit and work in Surefire C3/M3T/L6 etc. Some lights need an extra spring that is free for the asking from JS Burly.

chipper

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a flashlight about the size of a C3/M3 200lmns plus, must be able to take rechargeables.
Reading whats already been said in this post, am I right in thinking that this can be achieved?
Can pilas run these lights using the HOLA without using any kind of extension?
My ideal would be an M3 with MN11 Lamp Assembly and pilas.

I was looking at a pila gl4 but noticed when running on pilas the uotput drops to 130 lmns.

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said:
Yeah, Nick has it figured out. The unprotected R123 will do it, but you're slapping the cells with extremely high discharge rates, above 3C. I'm not sure how long the cells will last, some say this shortens their life. If I had to do it again, I'd do it with different cells.

In fact, I did.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif though in a MUCH bigger package.

[/ QUOTE ]

270Win, KevinL, & others; it is somewhat inaccurate to talk in general terms about battery/bulb combinations. If you take Li-Ion 18650 (like the older ones KevinL likes to take chances with); older, lower capacity versions are lousy under 2C or greater loads, lose up to 50% capacity under such loads, suffer significant voltage sag. It also depends on the manufacturer (most of the Li-Ion being made in China now so there is a wide range of quality/capabilities; we all ready know that there is a great deal of difference in labeled capacity, capacity under load, voltage sage under load, ability to provide ample current flow at higher draws, when comparing the various AA NiMH's) of the R123, and which version you get. JSB's older protected cells, have limited ability to supply higher amounts of current quickly that you would want for these high-output, high-current drain incandescent bulbs. But they are being improved, so it depends, even with the same exact manufacturer which 'newest' version of the cells you are getting.

I think CPF member 's2k' (?) was selling some unprotected 3 & 3.7v R123's while JSB was out of stock on his protected versions of these. IIRC the current highest capacity unprotected R123's are at a labeled (not sure how much they actually test out to for capacity under higher amp loads) at 650ma. A P91 draws 2.35amps using CR123's, according to Brock's data, so an 650ma R123 would be discharging at roughly 4C. Given that 2400ma LG 18650's are more than twice the size of the R123's, you hardly expect the R123's to do better than the LG 18650's at 2400ma, would you???
See 2nd chart on Brock's page
Discharge graphs of LG 2400ma 18650, as provided by Tweek: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=721157

Take a look at SilverFox's testing of various Lithium primary CR123A cells. At a load of 1amp, most are sagging in voltage down to about 2.5v. At 2amp loads the sag is even worse, down to about 2.25v. A bulb that draws 2+amps, will at very best, only be supplied with 4.5v in a 2 x 123 light, 6.75v in a 3 x123; using CR123A's. This means that in order for SF P91 LA to burn at anything less than a yellow color, the bulb inside the P91 must be of a design to run at around 6v, a 9v bulb would barely even light up! 123 Battery Shoot Out

How much do R123, protected vs. unprotected (and again it depends on which 'newest' improved version you get); sag in voltage under 2amp loads. Has SilverFox done a test on these?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you may have noticed on another thread, I did order the SF C3 and a P91 head assembly. Now it's time to wait for my new toy. Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm not yet to the point where I want to mod lights, so I pretty much stick to stock solutions. Work and family take too much attention don'tcha know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike