best bang for the bucks ? Which 1aa pocket light?

Vince

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Sorry for bothering but i need help with choosing small 1aa pocked led light, and cause there's a lot of them on the market, i have to ask about your opinion. I had Gerber inf ultra for about 6 months and i was very pleased with that light, unfortunatly i do not have it now, and i am looking for a new flashlight for edc. What i am looking for then:

- 50$ price with shipping to Poland (45$ without shipping)
- 1 AA or 1 AAA
- tough finish, durable and waterproof
- good for messing in my computer, read in the dark or using walking through dark street - flood beam
- twist on/off cap

What I have in mind:

- new Gerber infinity ultra (with twist butt)
- Peak Kilimanjaro series 5xleds

any others ? I will be very aprecieted for any help!
Lastly, if you coul'd suggest any site with international orders available...
Sincerely, Vince

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 1AA Ultra you had was about close to optimum -
unless from your own experience you had objections.

The only thing I can think for a 1x AA that could be considered better - would be the Ultra-G (linked) variation sold by CountyComm.

CMG Ultra-G (#2)

If you're willing to consider AAA batteries then the best bang for the buck in that size would probably be the Dorcy 1AAA -

Dorcy 1AAA #2 (vs ArcAAA vs Ultra-G vs Dorcy #1)

haveblue here on CPF as well as some others have sold a 5LED 1xAA "Xnova" that was pretty nice and bright,
but it might be a bit big for easy pocket carry - plus I did not like the way the momentary ON worked - please take a look at the review -

Xnova AA vs Ultra-G, ArcAAA, Dorcy 1AAA

Of course, I think the real bang for the buck are the 20 for $20 LEDs (linked) also from CountyComm -

please see:

20 for $20 LED Lights

LEDs_S.jpg

As for International shipping you might want to check out this pinned thread on CPF -

Free International Forwarding

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: best bang for the bucks ? Which 1aa pocket lig

The Infinity will be good for use in a dark house or in the dark recesses of equipment, but won't work as well out on the street if there is other light around such as signs or streetlights.

Vince

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for your replys, now i am seriously considering to but gerber infinit ultra, but i am more interested in newer model with twisted butt. Are they any reason why should i buy an older one ?

David_Web

Newly Enlightened

The Xnova is wery nice lights, the finish is not extreamly durable but it thankfully takes the nicks and scratches and keep on working, The momentary on works well on mine and I like it.
My father uses it in work every day, he repairs computers, printers.... you name it, he thinks it is perfekt to lit up the insides of a machine.
It is perfekt for nightwalks and inside the house.
and you can always replace them if they broke.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
David_Web said:The momentary on works well on mine and I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too like the momentary ON feature - and it works fine on mine -
however please let me clarify what I was objecting to -
this is what I wrote in the review:

The Xnova AA has a Tail-switch screw-in for on - but it can be used as a push for momentary ON switch - from deliberate "play"/loose-torlerant in the screw threads.

The momentary ON feature only works for up to about 3/16th of a turn out from the on position (1/8th turn is probably optimum) which means it's probably NOT a good idea to have the flashlight that way in case of accidental turn ONs from such a small amount of turning - that kind of defeats the purpose of the momentary ON for a quick shot of light, if it really shouldn't be carried that way.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Overall, if I suddenly lost all of my lights, a CMG (not newer design) Infinity Ultra would be at the very top of my list of lights I bought pronto! Such a usable beam, very decent brightness, excellent runtime running on cheap AAs... I'd also like to pick up a red non-Ultra Infinity for the crazy runtime.

I have two XNovas... They certainly as nicely built or finished as the Ultras but they are much brighter... I'd say three times as bright but they are more tightly focused than the Ultra and for a relatively low power, indoor use light, I like the beam of the Ultra more.

The Kilimanjaro with 5 HP LEDs should also be much brighter than the Ultra but again with a more tightly focused beam. I haven't seen a 5 HP LED Peak though but from what I've read, I don't think that would be my first choice for looking inside computers all the time.

Vince

Newly Enlightened

thank you for all your replys, i emailed to country comm if they accept visa and international orders, if they don't, i will order an old gerber infinity ultra.

paulr

Flashaholic

Vince, Countycomm does not ship internationally, sorry.

The Xnovas from what I hear are nicely made but don't have good electronics, so they use up batteries faster than they need to.

Most people seem to like the old Ultra better than the new design with the twist tail, but it's just a matter of preference. The new one is slightly larger.

The Dorcy 1AA 3LED light is also very nice, and not expensive. It has a pushbutton momentary, twist-lock tail. It's not as rugged as the Ultra but it's easier to operate.

The Peak Kilimanjaro is probably better than the Ultra, but it is much more expensive. I think the stainless steel version looks beautiful.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got the new and old Infinity. The old one feels a lot stronger, but I really doubt I'll be breaking the new style anytime soon. .